OT: What speed do you get?

Random Hero

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2227/633 kbps - not bad over wi-fi (g)..my connection is 3Mb/768kb max.

Gonna do a wi-fi N test now.

2254/636 kbps over wi-fi N

....so I'm pretty much maxing my connection either way

• Members

2665 down

2024 up

not bad, considering i'm at work with 200+ computers running full bore.

oh wait. i work for one of the most advanced telecommunications companies in the world...we have something like 3 T3 connections into this building. :freak:

• Members

11234 down, 1123 up

I used to work for @Home back in the day and had my place re-cabled and connected to its own HFC node, so my speed is pretty much limited by CMTS technology, every time they upgrade or lift their caps or get better modems available, it gets faster. It also helps that I use a Netscreen SSG20 as my router/firewall/wireless instead of some POS consumer brand (but then I get the hardware for free).

-W

• Members

Those speed tests are bull{censored} because they're only accurate in the country where the server is located and even then they usually show results lower than the max speeds the connection is capable of. Running the test several times will give vastly different results.

With a 10/10 Mbps connection I got 6787/2001 kbps and like 5000/2500 kbps on second try, third gave me 4700/2300 kbps.

IMO the best speed test is to download via FTP from some really fast site, in my case the FUNET (university network) server.

• Members

about 1250. apparently limited by the ten year old 10mbit hub I'm forced to connect through since my brother can't get his wireless working and I'm forced to split my net cable with the only thing I had. And he didn't believe I could max it out.

• Members

Those speed tests are bull{censored} because they're only accurate in the country where the server is located and even then they usually show results lower than the max speeds the connection is capable of. Running the test several times will give vastly different results.

With a 10/10 Mbps connection I got 6787/2001 kbps and like 5000/2500 kbps on second try, third gave me 4700/2300 kbps.

IMO the best speed test is to download via FTP from some really fast site, in my case the FUNET (university network) server.

It all depends on where you live really. Here in the bay area there are a dozen speed test sites, many of them are only a few hops away and on known unsaturated networks. Try to find one hosted by the same ISP you use and verify that the server is close using traceroute. It's generally the peering points between networks that latency and saturation might be an issue, and it's also where QOS would be injected to throttle particular streams.

-W

Archived