OT: Church of Scientology

JBecker

• Members

Wow, thats pretty scary:eek:.

tell me about it! i worked with one woman who was always like "when are you coming to church? you know WERE right and that if you dont start going youre going to go to hell!" for the record, im not christian...and i dont force my thoughts on anyone else, but THEY do. and its annoying! not to mention i know more about the bible than they do :rolleyes: i can quote some scripture, and know a good bit of the stories and such (i studied religions for a while), and they dont know the first thing about their own faith! its quite hilarious, showing up an "i go to church every wednesday and sunday" person, especially if youre a non-christian!

i remember one time working with that woman, and she was talking to my buddy and was doing the whole "come to church" thing, and he looked at me and said "JASON DOES CRACK!" and he ran off...and she instantly put her attention on me! never touched that crap in my life...he just wanted to be rid of her and he pawned her on me :cry: LOL

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why are you all talking about Christianity.

Discuss the Cult of Scientology. For kicks, here's a picture I took outside of their center in Edinburgh:

scientology.jpg

hmmm seems the only problem i have they can cure is that im tired of being Human...i dont get sick much at all, and im not tired much either. they fail.

• Members

believe him when he says this stuff though...people here in the south DO believe everything he said, pretty much word for word. mostly the baptists, pentecostals...catholics and episcopalians (who are in the minority) are more like you Phishmonkey. but everyone else is very much like Assiah said.

its kinda scary at times LOL

THANK YOU.

I actually work with a guy who believes that the earth is 10000 years old. Like seriously {censored}ing believes that. When I bring up dating methods he attacks the worlds scientific consensus.

Its unreal. At the point where someone says that the worlds scientists are wrong and then points to religious text for "the truth" what can you do at that point?

• Members

Why are you all talking about Christianity.

Discuss the Cult of Scientology. For kicks, here's a picture I took outside of their center in Edinburgh:

scientology.jpg

Sorry man.

Tom Cruise. Case closed.

• Members

So if its not meant to be taken metaphorically why do things line up so well with actual historical events? Adam ruling over Eve = Patriarchal revolution, snake becoming an enemy = fall of fertility cults who worshiped the snake, Adam having to work for his food = discovery of agriculture along with the extra work

I'm not christian by the way, so you can put those canned arguments away

Also, God did not write the bible. No educated christian claims that

No, but the bible was God breathed/inspired, then written by many diffrent writers.

I just think the fact that a SCIENCE FICTION writer founded a religion is kinda a little clue that it's gonna be pretty messed up.

• Members

THANK YOU.

I actually work with a guy who believes that the earth is 10000 years old. Like seriously {censored}ing believes that. When I bring up dating methods he attacks the worlds scientific consensus.

Its unreal. At the point where someone says that the worlds scientists are wrong and then points to religious text for "the truth" what can you do at that point?

Because possibly the world isn't 60 billion years old, or however you believe it is.:thu:

Also, call me crazy, but i kinda doubt your an educated scientist who is fully informed on earth dating methods.

Also, as far as christians who are pushy with their faith, thats not something i feel is right. As far as i'm concerned, i'll invite someone to church or somthing, or tell them about christ, but if that don't want to hear it, i just let it go.

Now if they're hooked on drugs/sickly, end of their life or something, i might be a little more foward about it, because you really have to be to turn peoples lives around who are headed for death.

But yeah, as far as scientology is concerned, they have some weird beliefs.

• Members

THANK YOU.

Smile and nod. That's really about all you can do unless you want them to talk your face off for hours.

• Members

Because possibly the world isn't 60 billion years old, or however you believe it is.
:thu:

Also, call me crazy, but i kinda doubt your an educated scientist who is fully informed on earth dating methods.

Also, as far as christians who are pushy with their faith, thats not something i feel is right. As far as i'm concerned, i'll invite someone to church or somthing, or tell them about christ, but if that don't want to hear it, i just let it go.

Now if they're hooked on drugs/sickly, end of their life or something, i might be a little more foward about it, because you really have to be to turn peoples lives around who are headed for death.

But yeah, as far as scientology is concerned, they have some weird beliefs.

Why is God the answer for drugs? I'm sorry to say this, but replacing one dependency for another is NOT a good thing.

And the Earth really is a little more than four and a half billion years old. Not 60.

If you disagree, then feel free to give up the other fruits of science, such as your car and medicine. They rely on the same disciplinary matrix and scientific method.

• Members

Why is God the answer for drugs? I'm sorry to say this, but replacing one dependency for another is NOT a good thing.

And the Earth really is a little more than four and a half billion years old. Not 60.

If you disagree, then feel free to give up the other fruits of science, such as your car and medicine. They rely on the same disciplinary matrix and scientific method.

Are you kidding me? God is the perfect answer to drugs.

Addicts have weak minds, and are obviously open to persuasion and suggestion (how they got hooked in the first place). You will find that the same psychiatric weaknesses or quirks are possessed by both those with addictive habits and those who are prone to religious and social persuasion.

In other words, you get a much better ROI on converting an addict then you do a strong-willed individual. That's less time spent preaching and more time spent gathering tithe. Business is business.

-W

• Members

xianity started as a cult.

so did every other religion...ever. the distinguishing characteristic is NOT the validity of the beliefs...the distinguishing characteristic is the number of people who accept them as truth.

as such, i consider ALL religions to be very pervasive cults.

and yes, southern xians tend to be literal in their interpretation of the bible. when i ask them why they don't stone their wives for cheating, they inform me that those rules are from the old testament...apparently, when jesus showed up, and the new testament was written, it invalidated the old testament. of course, if you try to apply that thinking to genesis, they get all pissy.

religion is the absence of reason.

• Members

Hey Duane, where in Edinburgh did you take that picture....

you know, i am just curious :o :o :eek:

There is also a small office on North Bridge/ Nicolson Street. That is called The L. Ron Hubbard Institute of Technology or something like that... :D . It looks derelict

Archived