OT: Church of Scientology

JBecker

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I need to read-up on this religion. Only thing I know about it is Tom Cruse is big in it. Do these people believe in God?

Not as we think of him. They have a very bizarre idea of human origin. It's mildly entertaining to say the least.

• Members

Essentially, the religion begins as a way to escape from the practice of psychiatry in favor of Dianetics, which essentially discuss the use of vitamins, etc, swears off mental illness as a disease and all kinds of things. They promote other ways such as being sure that one is not idle or isolating oneself to become in touch with yourself again to cure mental illnesses not unlike practices of the 19th century before modern psychiatry.

It then goes further into basically believing L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer who started the whole thing, is infallible. Eventually, you learn the "truth", which is that millions of years ago Xenu, an alien who was in charge of the 76 local solar systems decided to solve a problem with over population by bringing hundreds of billions of thetans (souls, essentially) to Earth, putting them near volcanoes, and blowing atom bombs in the volcanoes to eradicate them. Xenu is now imprisoned for doing this. These thetans now surround the few bodies that are on earth and there are many thousands of thetans trying to occupy your singular body all the time. The goal of a Scientologist is to free themselves from this struggle of thetans which will allow them to obtain all kinds of special powers.

Btw, the way to free yourself is to pay for it.

• Members

Essentially, the religion begins as a way to escape from the practice of psychiatry in favor of Dianetics, which essentially discuss the use of vitamins, etc, swears off mental illness as a disease and all kinds of things. They promote other ways such as being sure that one is not idle or isolating oneself to become in touch with yourself again to cure mental illnesses not unlike practices of the 19th century before modern psychiatry.

It then goes further into basically believing L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer who started the whole thing, is infallible. Eventually, you learn the "truth", which is that millions of years ago Xenu, an alien who was in charge of the 76 local solar systems decided to solve a problem with over population by bringing hundreds of billions of thetans (souls, essentially) to Earth, putting them near volcanoes, and blowing atom bombs in the volcanoes to eradicate them. Xenu is now imprisoned for doing this. These thetans now surround the few bodies that are on earth and there are many thousands of thetans trying to occupy your singular body all the time. The goal of a Scientologist is to free themselves from this struggle of thetans which will allow them to obtain all kinds of special powers.

Sadly sounding more plausible than the creation story of Christianity.....

• Members

Sounds exactly like the episode from south park

• Members

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-126281853779690652&hl=en

a good BBC investigation on the "church" of scientology. Talks about how they will hire privet investigators and engage in character assignation against anyone who speaks out against them. I can't believe there are humans who actually believe in this stuff.

Careful... They may investigate and character assasinate you... :lol:

The problem with Scientology:

knee.gif

Sheeple...:rolleyes:

• Members
L Ron Hubbard said he could start a false religion and that people would believe... He did it...

People = Sheep

Don't insult the sheep. To quote Ripley in the Alien movie: "You don't see them {censored}ing eachother over for a profit."

• Members

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-126281853779690652&hl=en

a good BBC investigation on the "church" of scientology. Talks about how they will hire privet investigators and engage in character assignation against anyone who speaks out against them. I can't believe there are humans who actually believe in this stuff.

:eek:

I loved the end when Sweeney lost it.

Good video.

• Members

Comparing religions is a excercise in frooootttillity. Mormons believe John Smith recieved addendums of the KJV bible from angels written on gold plates. Christians believe a woman gave birth without sex....Scientologist believe that Xenu nuked Thetans and spirits now inhabit us... I see a pattern.

• Members

If by scientologist you mean raping babies and impaling them on stakes, then yes, yes I am.
:lol:

See! He just admitted he's into teh scientology!!!! :eek:

;)

I dated a girl who's parents are artists and were scientologists. She claims she wasn't but I suspected otherwise. She defended the church when I said how can you base your faith on a failed sci-fi writer's rantings. Let alone said writer's uneducated opinion on psychology/psychiatry, lol.

Archived