Amplitube2 or Pod Xt or GuitarRig2 or....?

tacoshow

• Members

Which one's the best - in your experience/opinion - for overall sound quality especially as relates to getting good high-gain tones? Is there something else that's better than those I listed (besides an acual amp of course)?

• Members

Geez!!! I just checked out the samples of Revalver mkII and they're pretty damned awesome. Better than any of the other modelers I've heard so far. I wonder why this product is better known?? Or have I just been under a rock and missed it? Still digging for more detail on their site...

• Members

Geez!!! I just checked out the samples of Revalver mkII and they're pretty damned awesome. Better than any of the other modelers I've heard so far. I wonder why this product is better known?? Or have I just been under a rock and missed it? Still digging for more detail on their site...

dunno, people here aren't always up to date on modelling stuff. seriously, I doubt that anyone who recommended axe-fx has actually played one. $1200 for a rackmount modeller that can only do 80s tones? :bor:

don't just check out the samples, download the demo, it has full functionality and GOOD high gain presets.

• Members

GR2 does have some incredible sounds in there, but havent had the chance to really get to know it, only played with it for a couple of days with my crappy onboard sound card.

I didnt like the high gain sounds, but the cleands, midgains and fx were great.

• Members

I use Amplitube 2 and love it, though some emulatons are better than others. I tried the Guitar Rig demo, but the tones were thin and brash to my ears. I've also demoed the POD stuff and also find those tones lacking.

• Members

Yeah I've never tried revalver but I must admit the samples of that Mesa model sound pretty cool.

• Members

I've got mostly experience with Guitar Rig 2 and AmpliTube 2 as well as Ampeg SVX (similar to Amplitube but only models Ampeg bass amps).

Guitar Rig 2
+ Excellent, easy to use user interface
+ With tweaking can sound fairly good for clean guitar and rather good for clean bass
- Distorted tones sound fake and artificial no matter how much you tweak
- Doesn't respond like a real amp really
- Too many level controls to adjust

Amplitube 2
+ Sounds IMO a bit better than GR2 for both distorted and clean guitar tones
- Seems to clip easier than GR2. It's like it lacks some crucial level control that GR2 does have.
- Horrible user interface with way too much emphasis on graphics and not enough on usability. Having to wade through several screens to adjust settings is just not convenient at all. Adjusting effects order is a major pain in the ass.
- Distorted tones are again fake and artificial sounding and the feel is not at all like a real amp.

Ampeg SVX
+ Sounds a bit better than GR2 for bass
- Same things that suck about Amplitube 2 apply here as well

Line6 Gearbox
+ Seems to be easier to use as far as setting levels go
- User interface could be better but not as bad as Amplitube2/Ampeg SVX
- This one also sounds like {censored} to me for distorted tones

I really, really wanted to like software amp sims but the current generation just doesn't cut the mustard at all. I've even tried running GR2 into a guitar poweramp (solid-state and tube) and speakers and even then it sounded lacking. The software modelers also seem to suffer from the same problem many solid-state amps and old modelers suffer from: two totally different guitars sound surprisingly similar through them.

I'll take many "hardware" modeler units over these. Yamaha DG, Vox Valvetronix and Hughes & Kettner Zentera/Zenamp IMO beat all the software modelers when it comes to tone, ease of use and response.

• Members

I've used GR2 and Amplitube 2 quite a bit and own the XT. For heavy stuff the XT is the obvious winner, it's note as configurable as Gr2 but sounds just as good or better for everything else. Really you should demo the computer stuff yourself, since most everything has a demo version available.

I agree with the person who said the software only stuff is basically inadequate at this point. However, I do know some people who are crazy for A2 and GR2. I haven't demoed Revalver2 but I'd be stunned if those guys got it right. Revalver 1 is one of the worst sounding amp simulations I've ever heard regardless or context.

Everything here is just opinion, anway, so again, try to demo stuff for yourself. :blah:

• Members

I personally can't, unfortunately, find a high gain tone in either Guitar Rig or Revalver that I really like. May be partly my soundcards fault but, I'm kinda set on getting a PODxt eventually for silent recording. Once the software modellers start to reach the quality of a good POD, I'll be the first to scream in joy and go get it though.

• Members

Yeah, I'm gonna d/l the demos of this stuff and try it out, with Revalver mkII being the first one. I had a Pod 2.0 at one time but ended up miking real amps so much that I sold it. Plus, I could never get that one sound that I really liked. Then again, I'm not the most patient person when it comes to needling around with settings all day (I just want to dial in a good sound and play!). Plus, I'm now rid of my amps with no real need other than to record the stuff I write. Combine that with the noise factor and a modeler is appealing once again - assuming I can get the right tones/sounds.

Thanks for the input, insights, and tips

• Members
www.soundclick.com/thisismyboomstick

All the clips there were recorded with GR2, except for the one on the bottom, which was recorded with Amplitube 1.5

GR2 is my favourite.

EDIT: The top two songs were from High School, and were done on who knows what.

I wasn't too crazy about any of those distorted tones, but the cleans were pretty nice sounding.

• Members

I use all three pretty extensively.

In a sense both Amplitube and GR2 can do things that the Pod can't, in that you can have more than one amp and cabinet model at the same time. So it's easier to have a huge sound than you can with a Pod.

Personally, I think that GR2 has the best Mesa Recto sound that you can find...and that's pretty much what I use it for. Amplitube has more realistic classic amp sounds, especially the Jimi Hendrix version which is TO DIE FOR.

But at the end of the day, for high gain nothing beats the Pod with the Metal Pack installed. The Uberschall, 5150, Powerball, and Triple Rec models are all really damn cool. You need to tweak the hell out of it, and put either a real or modelled clean boost in front to tighten things up...but I've recorded some hellacious tracks with the PodXT's Metal pack, and after you double track, it can sound massive.

• Members

I use all three pretty extensively.

In a sense both Amplitube and GR2 can do things that the Pod can't, in that you can have more than one amp and cabinet model at the same time. So it's easier to have a huge sound than you can with a Pod.

Personally, I think that GR2 has the best Mesa Recto sound that you can find...and that's pretty much what I use it for. Amplitube has more realistic classic amp sounds, especially the Jimi Hendrix version which is TO DIE FOR.

But at the end of the day, for high gain nothing beats the Pod with the Metal Pack installed. The Uberschall, 5150, Powerball, and Triple Rec models are all really damn cool. You need to tweak the hell out of it, and put either a real or modelled clean boost in front to tighten things up...but I've recorded some hellacious tracks with the PodXT's Metal pack, and after you double track, it can sound massive.

+1

Archived