Casio XW-P1

deanmass

• Members

7) Overall, the closest analogy to me is, it is similar to the plast Behringer pdeals. Most of them sound damn good, and are cheap, but I'd never not have a spare just because the housing all feel junky.

In my experience, though, the place where Behringers fail are not in broken housings, but in failing internal components/connections... the kind of quality control you can't see or feel from the outside.

Personally, I've had good luck with Berhringer stuff that has few components and controls (i.e. their powered speakers), but not so much with their mixers, which have tons of knobs and connection points... just too many points of potential failure!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tried one yesterday in my local store. It's an interesting synth. I will say the weight and chassis did catch me off guard. On one hand the chassis feels 'cheap' and akin to a large semi rigid frisbee... on the other hand if you ever decided to drop it off a three story building it may just glide to the ground. ;) The sliders and knobs felt secure enough (again define 'enough'). Keybed was pretty spongy though and the display so so in my opinion (was a little hard to read at certain angles). Sounds with HEX mixing/morphing were pretty cool but I wasn't blown away by the tonality. Perhaps it was overshadowed by the screaming blue Ultranova sitting next to it. I was neither impressed nor disappointed in it. With a street price of $459 I think it's a pretty cool piece. I would consider buying one but I probably wouldn't gig with it. I could see it not surviving long at my gigs. If I were to gig with it maybe I'd buy two. Always have a backup.

I haven't tried the Mini-Brute but with the all-Aluminum chassis there is no comparison. The XW-P1 feels almost less that PSR like.

In any case I still tip my hat to Casio for throwing their hat into the ring and coming up with something a little different. Had they created a metal or more rigid plastic chassis, a better keybed and brighter display for $699 I think I'd be more incline for serious purchase. For the record, at 61-keys there's nothing really like it under $500. I hope they sell a boatload

Personally I think I'm springing for the Ultranova. I really connected with it in the short tome I demo'd it. Way more solid that the Casio and the keybed was pretty nice. Again it's $250 more so it's not an apples vs oranges comparison.

• Members

Hey guys, I also have tried the Casio XW-P1 today at my local GC, and I have to say I'm impressed with the "Solo Synth" and "Hex Layer" engines- They sound great! The rest of the machine (PCM based) is a bit less powerful than those two sections, but I didn't have much time to play it tonight, so I might be missing something. The piano sounded nice. The organ section is okay but could be better, both sound generator and Leslie sim... perhaps in future OS releases. The slow/fast rotary button is too small, though, and I wish that besides the CZ waveforms they had included a P.D. engine.. For the price, Casio has really done a great job

• Members

I notice in the manual (page E-32), that there are two different waveforms for the drawbar organ: Sine and Vintage.

Anybody compare these?

I noticed that in edit mode and heard zero difference between the two. Just tried it again to verify and still hear no difference.

• Members

I wonder if it's to do with the tuning?

Well I went back once again to see if I could tell a difference and there is, but it is BARELY audible. When going from SIN to VIN it is very much like adding the smallest amount of the 2' drawbar. But again, the difference is so minute.

Archived