Casio XW-P1

deanmass

• Members

.....My impressions......

Wow it's a real synth. I love the fact that the ROMpler is completely separate area. As for the sound, I think it's fairly fat sounding, bright but not brittle and the filters are not "grainy" sounding. All in all, it's a great product at a great price point. I hope it helps revive the hardware synth market.

BTW, it seemed intuitive to me. For me, that's a big deal.

Good work Mike!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't know if this was referenced in the thread, but there is a pro review with audio examples, commentary, etc. It's "open source" so anyone can participate and chime in with their opinions.

As to the construction, here's my take. First of all, the buttons will probably last a long, long time if I'm correct that they're by and large using conductive plastic to bridge traces. Those kinds of switches are almost incapable of oxydizing.

As to a chassis, the main thing I check for with synths is flexing, which was an issue with my Ensoniq keyboards (they were similar in terms of construction). The XW-P1 hardly flexes at all, which leads me to believe there's some kind of rigid reinforcement going on in there somewhere, maybe an internal bar or something.

I'd like to take it apart to see exactly what's going on, but that would put a crimp in the review if I couldn't get it back together again :). So far the anecdotal evidence is "looks cheap, but it's holding up." I suspect there might be some "under the hood" tricks in terms of construction.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I recently purchased a xw p1 and am having trouble with my line input/mic input. At first i ran another keyboard into the inst in and the volume was way too low. i tried editing the parameters in the edit menu. no luck. then i plugged in a microphone to the mic input. its quiet and fuzzy. none of the osc are turned on for the ext channel so it should be a clear sound. i plugged the mic into a D/I and had better luck with the volume but its still fuzzy. HELP!

Archived