Casio XW-P1

deanmass

• Members

At that price, I could buy 2 Casios and they would last longer than 1 Korg M50. With these prices I'm only interested on the sound.

I'll take you up on that bet. I've had my m50 since they came out and I've had zero problems and I gig it more than once a week. I'm also very hard on the keys. I couldn't do that to a Casio at any price.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think on paper it looks like an excellent value, and I'm excited to try one, but like Dean I have some serious doubts about it's build quality and road worthiness for the gigs I play. And this is after all being marketed as a 'live performance synth'. I know full well that Casio cut some serious corners (as many manufacturers do under the $1000 mark). The fact is the Roland XP30 I bought used a decade ago is still being used at my shows, and over the years Microns, Micro-X, Triton Le's (all with inferior build quality) all bit the dust in less than two years. Shame because alot of them had useful soundsets and features. I'm currently gigging with a Micro-X now but it's only a matter of time before the Power input breaks or some keys begin to fail. I'm thinking of buying another for backup. I'd probably consider the same with the Casio... buy two so I'd always have a back IF I planned to use it live. Buy once... cry once or Buy twice and keep one at home and one in the trailer. ;)

I'm less worried about the chassis than I am the sliders and buttons. Once they start flaking it's useless on stage.

• Members

I am absolutely sure, that 2 Casios(*) last longer than one M50. No offense to M50 owners. If it makes easier to swallow, I have owned one too and loved it. (*) haven't tested XW-P1 personally, so I'm not betting my nuts on it yet, but I would bet 100$ if there was sensible way to prove their durability.

• Members

I'm currently gigging with a Micro-X now but it's only a matter of time before the Power input breaks.

I remember when that keyboard came out, lots of people were complaining about that issue. Not sure what Korg was thinking there. The Micro-X is definitely not a good gigging keyboard.

• Members

I remember when that keyboard came out, lots of people were complaining about that issue. Not sure what Korg was thinking there. The Micro-X is definitely not a good gigging keyboard.

The Micro-X was never made to gig with... and that's sorta the point. I bought it as a stop-gap to replace my Triton Extreme in the shop. The weight is certainly a pleasure and I baby it. I had another as a backup and keys started flaking. SURPISE!!! :D And I take full responsibilty for using it in an environment it's not designed to be used in. NONE of these sub $1000 synths are decent gigging boards (Roland Juno's, Yamaha MM's, Korgs LE's, Micro-whatevers) yet many times their marketing departments continue to push them as live performance synths. My band travels and gigs on a level akin to touring. Different environments (hot/cold), difficult load outs, vibrations, bumps in a trailer. It takes a toll on gear. It's probably why you still see Korg m1's and Yamaha DX7's and older JV series still in national touring rigs. They are built like tanks.

And no offense to anyone in this forum, but lets be honest... many who rise to the defense of a synthesized plastic Frisbee with knobs don't usually travel too far or gig too often? I can count a handful of heavily gigging players here (this is the only forum at HC other than Open Jam maybe that actually increases activity after 8pm on Friday evening ;). I've often read comments from people who gig outside their studio maybe 7-10 a year. The difference between frequent and infrequent gigging is huge in terms of durability needs... transport takes a huge toll and good cases alone don't always make a difference.

There is also the old adage "you get what you pay for"... at the same point you would never want to buy a work truck made completely out of fiberglass. I'm interested in the Casio... but until I get it in my hands I'm not really thinking about using it past my bedroom studio.

Here's a new rule... if it doesn't have an internal, grounded power supply than it's probably not meant for gigging at all... period! :thu:

• Members

I'm keeping mine. Just got it today and been playing with it and reading the manual. If you order one, have the store check to see if it is the Euro version that comes with a Euro plug wall wart instead of the US 120V wart. Once I get that straight from the dealer and can get the software, I'll be all set. Ill be gigging with it once I get all the sounds programmed the same as my Juno. It's not as sturdy as I'd hoped, but similar to the Yamaha MM6 that I once owned with more features closer to the MO6, like phrase and step sequencer features. The controls lay fairly flat, so I'm not too worried about breaking it. Programming/editing features seem straightforward. I had hoped the core piano sounds were better, but they didn't impress me. Many other sounds though, were new and exciting to listen to, and are easy to customize and tweak for live use. In a couple of weeks I hope to learn better how to manage using the categories of solo synth, Hex Layer, drawbar organ. Another step will be building performances and seeing how quickly I'll be able to use the presets on the fly. I don't understand why someone would have issues with the SD/HDSD memory. For the money, it's got great capabilities.

• Members

I don't know how
we're
the trolls when
you
started the thread. And in the other thread, you're all like, "I'm gonna put a pin in your balloon."

Look man, if it doesn't work for you, fine, but I think you have unreasonably high expectations.

WTF?

I posted this to gt people to beware, There was a lot of hype. You are a troll if you being a DICK when you comment. Might not even apply to you, but when start a sentence with ' look dude ' you are starting to peek out from under the bridge. I had HIGH expectations because it was talked up, sounded amazing in the demos and semed like it had unique sound structure. And wtf is this pin in the balloon thing? The point is, Casio positioned it as a gigging, performance synth. Sound wise, it is there, but even the stock patches are uneven. The chassis is simply cheap. In the US, Casio is synonymous withcheap and or toy. This was thier chance to dispel that. They failed. It to see what the reviews come in as..betting on neat, cool sounds, but keep it home. If you like yours, thats fine. I am disappointed. A an owner of an original VFX, my let down by tech cred is high. I was really hoping this board pleasantlt surprised me. It didn't. And before it gets nit picked, yes I know the Arturia is just a controller, but you can crush coconuts wih that thing and still gig. The Gaia is well made and they sell for $499 street. It CAN be done. Look how many QS 6 series Alesis's are out there still..

• Members

I'm keeping mine. Just got it today and been playing with it and reading the manual. If you order one, have the store check to see if it is the Euro version that comes with a Euro plug wall wart instead of the US 120V wart. Once I get that straight from the dealer and can get the software, I'll be all set. Ill be gigging with it once I get all the sounds programmed the same as my Juno. It's not as sturdy as I'd hoped, but similar to the Yamaha MM6 that I once owned with more features closer to the MO6, like phrase and step sequencer features. The controls lay fairly flat, so I'm not too worried about breaking it. Programming/editing features seem straightforward. I had hoped the core piano sounds were better, but they didn't impress me. Many other sounds though, were new and exciting to listen to, and are easy to customize and tweak for live use. In a couple of weeks I hope to learn better how to manage using the categories of solo synth, Hex Layer, drawbar organ. Another step will be building performances and seeing how quickly I'll be able to use the presets on the fly. I don't understand why someone would have issues with the SD/HDSD memory. For the money, it's got great capabilities.

I don't have issues..I was simply ponting out that flash sticks are literally a $2 add on. Having used SD for cameras gear years, I hate them. Easy to lose, hard to find if you drop em...for 2 bucks more could have had both, but, you are right, which is back to the beginnng, why I ordered one ...tremendous potential..sd is my least fave...I honestly would have preferred CF, which are far more durable. What do you think of the sound groupings? I found them a bit odd...

• Members

Well you lost me with CF, just impractical.

Casio is not making the VK/CK line anymore. This day and age it is about price. Casio has made a great sounding and vast synth that is affordable, can edited, and has many on board feature for the performing musician. It won't break but it won't win any beauty or toughman contests. If you want quality in the exterior, prepare to pay at least a grand new or 500 used....

• Members

And wtf is this pin in the balloon thing?

Uh, in the other Casio thread, you said, and I quote exactly this time:

"See my thread...(or 'insert pin into balloon....)"

The implication being that you were going to rock everybody's world with a shocking revelation. Well, guess what? No one is surprised that the damn chasis is plastic and cheap. Its freaking five hundred bucks.

• Members

Drama!

Guitar Center says they will have them in by the end of the month. I will try one out. And the G1 by April 15. the G1 is debuting at their LA store next week (wed, the 28th) with the Crystal Method who are apparently the go-to guys for this sort of thing as they promoted the Venom for M-Audio last year... and Enferno at the Brooklyn store.

• Members

LOOK DUDE, you called me a troll because I disagreed with you. Actually, that's not true: I agree with you, the chasis IS cheap, that's why they charge that much money for it. But, you didn't like me calling you out on your unreasonably high expectations.

A troll is someone who just says random crap to start a fight. I have been outfront as a fan of this synth, so it is not random or surprising that I would confront you about this.

Uh, in the other Casio thread,
you
said, and I quote exactly this time:

"See my thread...(or 'insert pin into balloon....)"

The implication being that you were going to rock everybody's world with a shocking revelation. Well, guess what? No one is surprised that the damn chasis is plastic and cheap. Its freaking five hundred bucks.

You win. You are right. You win.

• Members

Well you lost me with CF, just impractical.

Casio is not making the VK/CK line anymore. This day and age it is about price. Casio has made a great sounding and vast synth that is affordable, can edited, and has many on board feature for the performing musician. It won't break but it won't win any beauty or toughman contests. If you want quality in the exterior, prepare to pay at least a grand new or 500 used....

CF is still the dominant format in DSLR's due to their durability and size. They are compact, but not easily losable, and generally outperform SD in transfer rates.

I am pretty blown away that more on this thread don't get that the basic idea is that is seems flimsy, and at $500, it should NOT seem flimsy, especially when they are trying to attract a certain kind of buyer, the gigging musician. The tech in the machine is cheap now, that is no longer where the costs lies.. But, whatever. PC361 is on the way. XW is still here. Arturia's are sold, case closed.

• Members

Everybody says the Roland SH-201 is the flimsiest, cheapest plastic synth ever, because it's so light and well, it is plastic.

My wife dropped it on concrete once and it didn't even scratch.
Not all that appears flimsy is flimsy, and not all that appears strong is strong.

Also, 600 dollars in late 1990s dollars would be the equivalent to about 900 dollars today... so I don't think it's a fair comparison.

I presume she was punished severely?

• Members

The difference between frequent and infrequent gigging is huge in terms of durability needs... transport takes a huge toll and good cases alone don't always make a difference.

I agree.

Here's a new rule... if it doesn't have an internal, grounded power supply than it's probably not meant for gigging at all... period!
:thu:

I disagree.

Archived