Casio XW-P1

deanmass

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone, somewhere, must have figured out how many synths are bought and never leave the buyer's home. How many keyboard buyers are actually gigging musicians? 10%? Less?

Anyhow, there's obviously money to be had in building inexpensive keyboards with lots of great sounds inside plastic boxes. Korg Micro X, Korg M50, Yamaha MM6, MO6, MOX; current Roland Junos, etc.

Ironically, many of these boards are marketed for live use, given how lightweight they are. And the fact is, I just don't see many accounts (if any) of musicians using these lightweight synths and breaking them during gigs.

Honestly, I think my MOX6 would fare better than my TI Polar (which weighs a ton and is built like the proverbial tank) if both were to fall three feet off of a stand.

• Members

Agreed, apart from him being great on any gear, it is slightly harder to show of than the P and he did a great job. I guess as some new users get better we will so more demo's...

There are more vids of various artists using it at events which are OK, but this chap did show it off better. Sadly not for me... but nice to know afordable stuff is here...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not worth starting a new thread over, so I am just posting this here.

While checking out the Casio website, I thought this was interesting:

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_%26_Keyboards/Workstation_Keyboards/AT-5/

AT-5 Oriental Keyboard

The list of sounds is interesting. Found a few videos.

It got me wondering if any other manufacturers have come out with regional versions of their keyboards.

• Members

Not worth starting a new thread over, so I am just posting this here.

AT-5 Oriental Keyboard

It got me wondering if any other manufacturers have come out with regional versions of their keyboards.

Yamaha had oriental PSR versions, and Korg has oriental PA500.

• Members

I've looked around online for more information about the XW-P1's sequencer. Does it have anything like a motion recording feature for recording realtime knob adjustments?

There are 4 "Controller Tracks" for recording automation. It doesn't work with the knobs directly. You choose a controller track then you choose which of the 9 instrument tracks will be the destination for the modulation. Then you can choose what you're going to modulate such as panning, filter or more.....

Instead of the knobs, you use the sliders to input the controller movement for each of the 16 steps. It shows up on the display graphically as you do it so in a way you "draw" the controller position using the sliders.

• Members

AT-5 Oriental Keyboard

Korg, Yamaha and Roland all offer "Oriental" keyboards in their arranger lines. That term means Middle Eastern, not Chinese BTW.

They come with different patches, offer alternate tunings, etc.

If you check out video clips of M.E. performers on YouTube you'll see a lot of these boards in use.

• Members

I guess as some new users get better we will so more demo's...

I was so stoked to get my`P1, but I was just learning the interface, when a whole bunch of heavy life-changing stuff happened (some good and some not as much), and I have hardly had time to breath. It really sucks. I was championing the synth for a while and was intent on making some demos showcasing its possibilites for weirdness and experimental music. But stupid life got in the way...damn you life!

As I've mentioned before, the PCM sounds are so-so, but the synth sounds are real nice and fat, the synth engine is pretty interesting, and the sequencer is super cool. Is it perfect? No. But its a super fun synth, that has way more character than some crappy offerings by other companies.

• Members

for one, Casio even made an version of the SK-8, called the SK-8A (for Arabic). A vanilla SK-8 can be hacked for Arabic tuning, but I don't think you get the Middle Eastern drum samples of the 8A.

The Korg Prophecy and Z1 have a bunch of different scales, plus a user scale. Imagine other Korgs do too.

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llP5CumYuqw

Yes, they have; pls check this one:

As far as I know, there is also a PSR-OR 700 TR version is available (with more Turkish stuff added).

And of course Korg PA series.. Pls check this one from Syria:

The lady who is demonstrating the Casio is a Germany-born Turk; these stuff are very popular among traditional music lovers. Not my league at all; but I like "koma"s (quarter tones) :)

Cheers!

• Members

Yes, they have; pls check this one:

http://youtu.be/P1vQWS3mNEQ

As far as I know, there is also a PSR-OR 700
TR
version is available (with more Turkish stuff added).

And of course Korg PA series.. Pls check this one from Syria:

http://youtu.be/x7drQuMWGlg

The lady who is demonstrating the Casio is a Germany-born Turk; these stuff are very popular among traditional music lovers. Not my league at all; but I like "koma"s (quarter tones)
:)

Cheers!

Merhaba, and te?ekk

• Members

with his mellow new age digital instruments..

Nothing but the good stuff in these clips:

Nice find! I wish I could make them bigger so that I could Gear Watch. What the heck is he sitting on? A bar stool? He towers over his kit and has to bend over like a giant. Or is he just really tall?

Archived