Your live rig

C. Martin

• Members

My two cents...

Electro II organs = Too Sweet (Makes me think WurliTzer when I hear it) (Love the EPs, Clav though). Keybed not right for organ.

Roland = Too Dark - like they modeled it on an organ with worn out caps or something - but very verstile/tweakable, unremarkable leslie sim, perc & click could be better too.

XK3 & 3c - Impressed - but I didn't get enough time with it at GC and it was hooked to {censored}ty monitors. Nice feel, heavy, hammondesque.

Korg - Just right

I really like the Korg CX-3. I had one for a couple years. Tucktronix plays one through a 25 hotrodded leslie. It sounds great.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I said that because you made it sound like keyboard magazine was the end all talking about the XK. Look at some pro organ rigs or talk to guys on the music player forums and see what they say.

Not that I'm defending Keyboard magazine (and if you make your decisions based upon someone else's opinion in a magazine, then you need to get a life, or in this case, try the gear out for yourself and make you own damn decisions you mindless sheep! :p), but my impression was that Steve Fortner gave the XK-3c a big thumbs up in the latest issue calling it the best clonewheel out there. Price wise, it's $600 street price more than an Electro 2, but in my mind, it's miles ahead in terms of sound, and well worth the extra $$. The piano sounds on the Electro are OK, but I don't like playing piano sounds from an unweighted keyboard, and since the organ is my main instrument, playing organ sounds on a weighted keyboard (like the Nord Stage) is not an option for me. That's why I gig with the XK-3c and a P-85.

• Members

I wasn't advocating for keyboard magazine, and never said I was either.

Matter of fact, I have taken issue with keyboard magazine, and i think all of you would agree, they don't have many keyboards in the magazine, and have totally killed the weekend warrior section. I'm pissed because you all have proven to have worked very hard for your rigs and apparently are maybe a little too proud of it, and when they feature a diagram of an accordian, a sm57 and a head for a weekend rig, I'm not inspired. everyone in this forum should be on that section. not 50 year olds w. 1 or 2 keyboards, but real rigs, put some balls back into that magazine.

• Members

Yeah, it's not like the old days when people had rigs of 6 boards just to cover all the bases, and you'd see their full rig spreads in Keyboard.

It's the old topic that's been debated here many times (1 or 2 workstation-type keyboards that cover all the bases, are easy to move, and are generally more reliable [and now less expensive at times] than vintage gear) versus the multi-mega keyboard/vintage rig.

The other thing you used to see more of was customization/modification of gear. Less choices made people modify their gear to sound unique or add more capabilities (Minimoog modifications, Dyno-My-Piano, Hammond modifications, etc.). I'm not seeing too much of that going on today, I guess with the exception of circuit bending, but that's not quite the same.

• Members
My two cents...

Electro II organs = Too Sweet (Makes me think WurliTzer when I hear it) (Love the EPs, Clav though). Keybed not right for organ.

Roland = Too Dark - like they modeled it on an organ with worn out caps or something - but very verstile/tweakable, unremarkable leslie sim, perc & click could be better too.

XK3 & 3c - Impressed - but I didn't get enough time with it at GC and it was hooked to {censored}ty monitors. Nice feel, heavy, hammondesque.

Korg - Just right

I pretty much agree. While I was defending Roland's clonewheel units, I do prefer the Korg stuff.

In my live rig, I play a VR-760, and am quite pleased with its versatility. I like having a clonewheel that can also provide other types of sounds if I need them. I have the Classic EPs card installed in it, and I think the EP and clav sounds on that card more than hold their own against the Nord Electro. In fact, before I bought the VK, I owned a Nord Electro. But I sold it within a few months because it just didn't do it for me.

I also own a Korg BX-3, which is the {censored}, but it's just too danged big for me to haul onstage at most of the clubs we play. Maybe if I fired one or two people in the band... :idea:

I've always wished Korg would release a 76-key unit based on the sound engine in the BX/CX, with the added capabilities of playing other tones too. If they ever did, the VK would be gone.

• Members

"Horrific"? Isn't that a bit extreme? I've played just about all of the current clonewheels (except for the XK3 and XK3c), and I wouldn't label any of them as "horrific". They each seen to have their strengths and weaknesses, but the differences are pretty small.

Read and Re Read my post, l am defending the Rolands against another users label of horrific, I prefer the Roland clonse over the Hammond and Nord clones all day...... They match my Hammond better. I will have to take another look at the Nord and Hammond XK to re-evaluate them....

But I have only owned the Roland clones (VR-760), Oh and I am jealous I sold my VR-760 LIKE A FOOL, had the same set up with the Classic EP card installed, that board is a BEAST!!!!!!

Want to get rid of IT???????? LOL Not sure why I sold mine with the EP card and mod pedal urrrrrr!!! What a fool...

• Members
than vintage gear) versus the multi-mega keyboard/vintage rig.

The other thing you used to see more of was customization/modification of gear. Less choices made people modify their gear to sound unique or add more capabilities (Minimoog modifications, Dyno-My-Piano, Hammond modifications, etc.). I'm not seeing too much of that going on today, I guess with the exception of circuit bending, but that's not quite the same.

fdelvecchio - I must say your home rig is to die for??????? I need those vintage boards :love: and that A105 :love:, they are so hard to find.........

How do you like that P85, I thought about one of those before I settled on the Roland FP4

Great set up

• Members

I also have a Nord Electro 2 (73) that I use for rehearsals and small gigs (sanwich shops, coffee houses, and the like).

I really want to sell that Fantom XR module and replace it with a Nord Electro module... man, those rhodes patches have a killer bark. And it's really cool to have so much control over the clav pickup settings and all the effects on the patches. Maybe a cheap synth module to run into the XK2, too.... whenever I can afford it. :)

• Members

Read and Re Read my post, l am defending the Rolands against another users label of horrific, I prefer the Roland clonse over the Hammond and Nord clones all day...... They match my Hammond better. I will have to take another look at the Nord and Hammond XK to re-evaluate them....

But I have only owned the Roland clones (VR-760), Oh and I am jealous I sold my VR-760 LIKE A FOOL, had the same set up with the Classic EP card installed, that board is a BEAST!!!!!!

Want to get rid of IT???????? LOL Not sure why I sold mine with the EP card and mod pedal urrrrrr!!! What a fool...

OOPS! My bad... Sorry, I shouldn't post when I'm supposed to be working. I missed the post you were responding to...

But... No, I don't think I'm ready to get rid of the VR-760 just yet... But stay tuned, you never know what silly things I might do under the influence of a GAS attack...

• Members
fdelvecchio - I must say your home rig is to die for??????? I need those vintage boards
:love:
and that A105
:love:
, they are so hard to find.........

How do you like that P85, I thought about one of those before I settled on the Roland FP4

Great set up

Thanks! Took me a while to get my setup together, but I'm really happy with it.

I really like the feel and response of Yamaha weighted boards, and it weighs like 20 lbs, and was in my price range, so that's why I chose it. The piano sounds are OK, but no where near the CP300. I wish it had a Clavinet sound though.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

My live rig: yamaha cp-300 and a nord c-1. For a player who plays mostly country/roots-rock, this is the absolute best. All I need to do is add a leslie 3300, and my "dream rig" is complete. If you trained classically on piano, there is really no substitute for the cp-300. The vibrations from the internal 30W speakers make the whole experience so rewarding. If you EQ some of the brightness out of the rhodes/wurly samples, you get an electric piano set that IMO rivals the nord electro ep's. I use an old p-200 for some local weekly gigs, and even though it is now outdated in terms of sound, the feel of the keys and the speakers still make it a better board than many of the contemporary non-yamaha stage pianos.

• Members

So last I posted was my rig right before my first show. Here's a picture from about my tenth show a couple weeks ago. Only difference is the QS6.1 which was heavy and only used as a controller was replaced with a much lighter Fatar thing. Still the same homemade case/table/stand for the fantom.
l_b5e5d5b6b49f486fb5085bc2dd4f55df.jpg

• Members

The live rig I'm working on now will trump the complexity of the last one I had. We're practicing every Monday night but I still have a lot of work to do on my Digital Performer project.

Keyboard hardware will include:

Korg TR88 (my newest full size keyboard)

Roland XP-30 (trusty old friend I've used at more gigs than I could count)

Roland Fantom XR

2.4 Ghz core 2 duo MacBook Pro (may also take older 2Ghz MBP for a backup)

MOTU Midi Timepiece AV-USB

Hercules 1612 firewire interface

Behringer 1602 line mixer

Behringer K1800FX keyboard monitor

Software:

MOTU Digital Performer 5.13

Logic Express 8 (as part of backup plan)

SampleTank 2L

Reason 4

Guitar:

'76 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop or '96 AmStd Fender Telecaster (standard tuning)

Ibanez RG3EXQM1 (tuned whole step down)

Digitech RP2000 multi-effect pedal

Tech 21 Trademark 60 amp

The majority of the show will revolve around Digital Performer sending midi and/or audio backing tracks and program change messages between and during songs.

I'll select songs with patch changes (spinning the jog wheel) of the XP-30 which triggers DP to play enable songs while also sending patch change messages to an Antares AVP-1, Lexicon MX200, my RP2000 guitar pedal, the Fantom XR and Korg TR88.

A footswitch into the back of the MTP AV can be used for song start/stop.

• Members

Wow, back from the dead.

I had a band all set up, and we started rehearsing, but it kinda fell apart. However, I did get a nice, portable setup built that wil cover all the bases.

Alesis Quadrasynth Plus Piano + Vintage Synth Card

Kurz K2000, Expanded, Internal HD, Etc.

2 X stands, MIDI Cables and Audio Cables pre-routed and zip tied.

"Custom" Home Depot Shelf Pedalbord with 2 CC controllers and 2 Sustain Pedals.

12 Space SKB like case with 10 spaces taken:

Power
MOTU Express XT
Berhinger Virtualizer (Yeah yeah, I know)
Roland M-120 line mixer
Yammy TX-81Z
Oberheim Matrix 1000
Roland JV-1080 with Keys of 60s/70s & Bass and Drums cards
Korg Wavestation A/D.

The stay at homes are the Digital Piano, Juno 60, Alpha Juno 2 (Thpugh that might change), and I might keep my Poly 800 too. Or, I might throw a guitar strap on it and.....

• Members

Hmm, haven't I done this before..? :)

Gig rig this weekend;

Kurzweil PC3x, Receptor running VB3. Ultimate V-stand, Shure PSM-700.

Big X-mas gig rig;

Kurzweil PC3x, Receptor running Ivory, Korg M3-73, Hammond XK-system w. Leslie 3300, 2 x Poly Evolver Rack, Roland Vari-Os with D-50 card, SE ATC-1. :)

• Members

My live rig:

Keys:

Nord Electro

Nord Lead 2

Studiologic SL880Pro

Amps:

Speakeasy Road Leslie (125 retrofitted with a horn and a with 145 amp)

Barbetta Sona 41C

Rack:

Speakeasy dual channel preamp

Lexicon Alex

Boss SE50

Furman power module

In the basement:

JX10

Juno 106

JV880

Alesis S4

Alesis DM5

Darkstar

Mackie 1402 VLZ mixer

Boss BX8 mixer

Wow talk about back from the dead.

My live rig now:

S90ES straight into the mixer

Electro- same one as 2005, into a Lexicon Alex, into a Speakeasy dual preamp, into the mixer

NL2- same as 2005- into a Zoom GX1 (for delay and reverb) into the mixer

Current rack for live:

Furman power distribution

old Ibanez 15band EQ to EQ return monitor mix from house mixer

Lexicon Alex

Speakeasy dual channel preamp

Behringer RX1602 line mixer into

dbx 15 band stereo EQ into

Carver PM900 amp into

2 Carvin LS1502 monitors (these will be here tomorrow)

foot pedals, in addition to the GX1- expression pedal for the electro, sustain for the S90ES, dual sustain pedal, one send to the electro and one to the NL2, DP2 footswitch for leslie speed on the electro.

Still have the Leslie but rarely bring it to gigs. I use the Barbetta for rehearsal as it's not working right at high volume.

My other band I use Electro > Boss reverb stomp box > amp. Currently using my son's Ashdown 2x10 but it'll be the Barbetta once I can get it repaired.

• Members

It's like deja vu all over again!

Only one small change since last June, as noted below. Since then, I've also started filling in occasionally with a touring Journey tribute band. When I go out with them, I only bring the S90 ES and the Fantom X7. That band uses all IEMs, so the Traynor K4 stays home and I run the keys through the Mackie 1202VLZ-Pro mixer.

Wow, this thread has resurfaced!

Current live rig (June 2008):

Yamaha S90 ES

Roland VR-760 with SRX-07 Ultimate Keys and SRX-12 Classic EPs boards

Roland Fantom X7, also with SRX-07 Ultimate Keys board.
I added an SRX-12 to the X7 in December 2008.

Traynor K4 Keyboard amp

At home:

Arp Odyssey (needs some work, though)

Korg BX-3

Roland D-50

Roland JP-8080 module

Roland JX-880 module with SR-JV80-17 Country board

Korg Triton Rack

Roland MC-50MkII

Mackie 1202VLZ-Pro mixer

Roland M-240 mixer

Tascam 2488 digital recorder

• Members

I have an experimental setup this weekend because my P80 bit the dust and the PC3x hasn't arrived.

-Yamaha PF85 (old!) controlling Powerbook g4 with Logic7 as a sound module for B3 and Rhodes plugins. I've never done this before.

-Fantom-s 61

-Poly Evolver Keyboard (just arrived yesterday!)

-Microkorg

-cheap mixer

-My usual Eon 15 ... plus an old GK keyboard amp so i can get stereo monitors.

• Members

The Fusion is my main board, and has all my splits and layers for the setlist, organized into banks. Last time I took out the KS4 to use as a seond board, but didn't really use it much.

I've been thinking that I will assign some of the stuff on the Fusion to a MIDI controller as a 2nd board - seems like an easy solution.

Archived