Your live rig

C. Martin

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Outkaster

Thanks sometime I want to bring a Hammond Chop out there just to {censored} with everyone and see the looks on there faces. People would fall down:D

...sorry, what means this - "Hammond Chop?" Is it like - what, you bring a chopped up console on stage that's not really working - but you put your clonewheel 'board inside it?

I'm not as up on the whole Hammond/organ terminology... :eek::confused:

• Members
eshhfkeyrig.jpg

Here ya go - this is me from the latter 70's with a "chopped" Hammond B3, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner String Ensemble, Minimoog and a baby grand piano. Not shown is a giant Leslie 900 cabinet and keyboard PA system. Ah yes, the good 'ol days of one-nighters, small stages, huge trucks, miles of cables, hernias, pulled muscles and never-ending bitching. That Hammond wound up being heavier in the plexiglas case than it was in the original wooden case. It was fun and foolish... I'll stick with a digital piano today, thanks...

• Members
Originally posted by The Pro

eshhfkeyrig.jpg

Here ya go - this is me from the latter 70's with a "chopped" Hammond B3, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner String Ensemble, Minimoog and a baby grand piano. Not shown is a giant Leslie 900 cabinet and keyboard PA system. Ah yes, the good 'ol days of one-nighters, small stages, huge trucks, miles of cables, hernias, pulled muscles and never-ending bitching. That Hammond wound up being heavier in the plexiglas case than it was in the original wooden case. It was fun and foolish... I'll stick with a digital piano today, thanks...

Very cool. I will get a chop eventually. Now that is a {censored}in rig!

• Members
Originally posted by jazzed

The Pro - surely you didn't carry around the baby grand too! Still, sweet rig. No wonder you're so insane about the little RS board
:D

Yep, the baby grand went too but it wasn't used at every gig. It was chopped also with removeable legs and pedals and had to be tuned every time we used it. We were opening for name acts and trying to be one ourselves so the piano said "bigtime". This was my rig at it's largest and it shrank steadily from here: I replaced the piano and the Pianet with a Rhodes, the organ was replaced with a Korg CX-3, the Minimoog and String Ensemble gave way to a Korg Polysix, etc.

Fun to look at, pleasant to hold, but now I can't have it it cause I've gotten too old... :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by The Pro

eshhfkeyrig.jpg

Not shown is a giant Leslie 900 cabinet and keyboard PA system. Ah yes, the good 'ol days of one-nighters, small stages, huge trucks, miles of cables, hernias, pulled muscles and never-ending bitching. That Hammond wound up being heavier in the plexiglas case than it was in the original wooden case. It was fun and foolish... I'll stick with a digital piano today, thanks...

Those were the best days...:love: :love: :love:

• Members

electro overrated :D.....let's say the audience is overrated. They won't hear the difference between a real Rhodes and the Nord. I just lug the real thing around because I think it's more fun, and have the Nord on top of it for clav and organ. I even use the Nord's Rhodes on top of the real Rhodes every now and then when I need that biting phased overdriven sound for which I can't seem to get the sound exactly right with the real thing (and smallstone and tubescreamer) :D Blasphemy!

I specifically chose my appartment so that I could still lug the Rhodes out, not too many stairs :D

I'm in the process of buying a CP70 now! That, however, will never leave my appartment haha, unless I have to look -really- cool.

one more time...
rolive.jpg

livesetup.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Roald

electro overrated
.....let's say the audience is overrated. They won't hear the difference between a real Rhodes and the Nord. I just lug the real thing around because I think it's more fun, and have the Nord on top of it for clav and organ. I even use the Nord's Rhodes on top of the real Rhodes every now and then when I need that biting phased overdriven sound for which I can't seem to get the sound exactly right with the real thing (and smallstone and tubescreamer)
Blasphemy!

I specifically chose my appartment so that I could still lug the Rhodes out, not too many stairs

I'm in the process of buying a CP70 now! That, however, will never leave my appartment haha, unless I have to look -really- cool.

one more time...

rolive.jpg

At least you are using the real thing which I respect. No the audience will not always know but sometimes the do.

livesetup.jpg

• Members

Man there is some HOT gear out there fellas !!!!

I must say I too love the real deal but they are toooooo heavy to haul around, I used to lug the Suitcase Rhodes with a 61 key triton on top for my gigs, the Triton ran thru my KC500, but that Rhodes was a beast to carry 2-3 times a week.

Also gas was cheaper 5 year ago so it was not an issue throwing the rhodes in my TAHOE but times have changed the TAHOE had to go along with the Rhodes, replaced it with the Roland VR-760 (Combo) man I love the rhodes and hammond sounds on the bad boy. I actually voiced it with my Hammond A105 and it sounds dead on. Real easy to control on the fly too and beats hauling a Hammond around.

I Hated the Nord when I played on it, the sound and feel was not authentic for the genre of music I play. The Roland VK products and VR had it beat IMO with the EPs and Hammond, the pianos sucked in both, so my trusty Kurzweil Micro piano comes in handy.

I must also add the Korg CX3 is pretty nice, but I am happy with my V-Combo.

GEAR LIST PROUDLY DISPLAYED IN THE SIGNATURE LINE. Changed it out bit from when this original post started and proud to say, back to the Rhodes......

NEED to get that MOOG ( see some out there :love: :love: ), but will settle with an ION for now. The wife is great with the gear purchases but I need to tone down a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by Vintagekeys

What's up with the bench? Did you make that yourself?

My A-101's bench was missing in action when I bought it from a church over 10 years ago. So I've never had a real bench for it. The box that is sitting there is something my late granddad made probably 50 years ago to keep his architecture plan in (they are still in there along with some other keepsakes). The box was just sitting in a corner and it works ok as a makeshift bench for the A-101. Not pretty, but functional.

I've been on the hunt for a matching A-101 bench, but most of the benches I find available by themselves are fairly pricey and hard to ship. It is not a high priority, so I'll keep using the storage box for now.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by eric

My A-101's bench was missing in action when I bought it from a church over 10 years ago. So I've never had a real bench for it. The box that is sitting there is something my late granddad made probably 50 years ago to keep his architecture plan in (they are still in there along with some other keepsakes). The box was just sitting in a corner and it works ok as a makeshift bench for the A-101. Not pretty, but functional.

I've been on the hunt for a matching A-101 bench, but most of the benches I find available by themselves are fairly pricey and hard to ship. It is not a high priority, so I'll keep using the storage box for now.

Regards,

Eric

A bench for a B-3 can cost up to $400. A bench for an A or C series can go up between $200-$300.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

A bench for a B-3 can cost up to $400. A bench for an A or C series can go up between $200-$300.

Yeah, I found a couple for like $250 or $275 that looked nice based on photos. But they were halfway across the US and shipping them was going to be at least $50-100. One of my concerns is getting one that will match the walnut color of my A-101. I have a couple of people looking for them, so I'll eventually get one.

Regards,

Eric

Archived