Dual Recto > Triple Recto?

Say Ocean

• Members

As I see it, the Duals are more versatile and can sound richer than Triples.

With the Dual, at 100w you can, if you've got a big enough stage, start to push the output tubes, obviously this is what you WANT to be doing. You can also pull a pair of tubes out (and one of the rectifier tubes) to make it a 50w head, ala the Single Rec...only with this you can select tube rectification, a feature not availiable on the actual single rec. You can't do this with a Triple rec.

Add to that the fact the triple is rated at 150w, there's a lot of headroom on the output stage. You'll have a real hard time getting that into some nice overdrive. Most people simply don't need 150w on tap.

What you WOULD use the triple for is heavily detuned guitars. That's where that extra headroom translates itself into better low end clarity because it doesn't run out of power with the bass frequencies.

• Members

You can also pull a pair of tubes out (and one of the rectifier tubes) to make it a 50w head, ala the Single Rec...only with this you can select tube rectification, a feature not availiable on the actual single rec. You can't do this with a Triple rec.

I've definitely heard you can take out the power tubes, but I'm pretty sure you can't remove a rectifier tube; I think you need two. I might be mistaken here.

• Members

I've definitely heard you can take out the power tubes, but I'm pretty sure you can't remove a rectifier tube; I think you need two. I might be mistaken here.

It says in the manual that you need to take a recto tube out as well as a pair of output tubes. Don't know why???

• Members

It says in the manual that you need to take a recto tube out as well as a pair of output tubes. Don't know why???

Oh, OK. Well if it says in the manual then I'm sure it's true. For some reason I thought you needed two tubes to rectify an AC signal to DC, but obviously not.

• Members

If your using the tube rectifier than you have remove one of the rectifer tubes, when you take out the 2 power tubes. Or you can mess it up.

• Members

Yeah I can't imagine a situation in which you would need 150 watts of tube. If you're playing in a venue large enough to need that much volume, you're pretty much guaranteed to be running through a P.A., or at least you damn well better be. In which case the extra 50 watts would be worthless outside of the headroom, which wouldn't really be an issue on a lower wattage amp anyway, because you could just turn it down and let the P.A. handle the required volume. And if you're in a smaller situation, you'd need it so loud to get the desired sound it would just drown everyone out. And forget using it to practice...

• Members
What you WOULD use the triple for is heavily detuned guitars. That's where that extra headroom translates itself into better low end clarity because it doesn't run out of power with the bass frequencies.

+1 to both of these. This is why i LOVE the triple. :thu:

• Members

As I see it, the Duals are more versatile and can sound richer than Triples.

With the Dual, at 100w you can, if you've got a big enough stage, start to push the output tubes, obviously this is what you WANT to be doing. You can also pull a pair of tubes out (and one of the rectifier tubes) to make it a 50w head, ala the Single Rec...only with this you can select tube rectification, a feature not availiable on the actual single rec. You can't do this with a Triple rec.

Add to that the fact the triple is rated at 150w, there's a lot of headroom on the output stage. You'll have a real hard time getting that into some nice overdrive. Most people simply don't need 150w on tap.

End of thread.

• Members

I have always liked the sound of the Dual Rectifier more. It just sounds BETTER to me. Imagine that both the triple and dual have the same good qualities, but those good qualities on the dual are more noticeable and are heard better.

• Members

Deffinitly the dual is "warmer" sounding than the triple, But yes I can see why people would like the triple more as a "tighter" metal amp. It's down to the headroom. Obviously when you're tuned nearer to standard tuning, the triple's overdrive is primaraly pre-amp, with the big power amp reproducing it "clean". That can be great for some things. I tried out the Diezel Herbert at standard pitch (the Herbert is rated 180w!!!) and I absolutly loved how the bottom end was CLEAN. The triple has a simialr effect. Then as you tune down, like I said before, the bigger power amp copes with the low frequencies much better, keeping it tight and clear.

Horses for courses innit? I refuse to go below D so I've alway prefered that extra warmth you get with the Dual.....

That said....I've got the best of both worlds with the Roadking so! :thu:

• Members

i have both a 92dual and a 97 trip. 92 is warmer sounding,but the trip kills in its own way also! soo just get both and runem with a goood!a/b pedal:thu:

Is that a 2 channel triple you are using or a 3 channel?

• Members

Is that a 2 channel triple you are using or a 3 channel?

3 channels came out in 1999.

I personally like the Duals better. The Triples have a conceivably tighter bass sound, but the Duals break up better at higher volumes.

• Members

It's probably been said, but it really depends on if you like output tube distortion. If you don't, a triple is great. If you do, a dual will still be deafening when it starts to distort.

Personally, I like the headroom, so I use a triple.

It's really hard to go wrong with either amp though. They're both amazing amps.

• Members

lol. so much bs going in this thread it's not even funny :D

I've owned both and got more than 60 hours play time on each (easily) and I can say that most people here are talking out of their asses. All you have to know is :

Get dual if you want the tube change to be easier on your wallet

Get triple if you want more head room and tighter bass (not by that much i might add)

Rest is BS.

Archived