Roland Gaia

Gaul

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What a disappointment !! 37 keys ? I wouldn't buy it just for that. They just have to {censored} things up one way or another. That white color sucks, especially with all those gay colorful buttons that makes this look like a toy. The SH-201 looked much more serious. This should've been called Roland Gay. I'm sticking to my 201 until I get a V-synth or a Virus hopefully or something else comes along. The 37 key crap is always a no-no for me.

+1

The last decent synth roland built was the v-synth(or it's couple of off-shoots).

This thing looks like a kids toy and has the features of a kids toy. With crap like this, nord just making more organs, and no synth at all in yamaha's lineup it looks like synthesis is pretty much dead.

• Members
+1

The last decent synth roland built was the v-synth(or it's couple of off-shoots).

This thing looks like a kids toy and has the features of a kids toy. With crap like this, nord just making more organs, and no synth at all in yamaha's lineup it looks like synthesis is pretty much dead.

Yes, because only Roland, Yamaha and Nord make synths. Synthesis is dead.

From Dallas, Texas, the flash, apparently official: (reading AP flash) "Synthesis died at 1 p.m. Central Standard Time." (glancing up at clock) "2 o'clock Eastern Standard Time, some.....38 minutes ago."

20100325-qqhxrjpdex69awxqakxsy4b35b.jpg

• Members

the sh101 is only 3 octaves, and it is very appropriate for what it does. this is the same type of {censored}, just bigger. if you're trying to drop some mozart, you're using the wrong tool for the job.

the mission drives the gear train.

IMHO, etc etc

+1

Sequencing aside, 99% of what a VA will do for me is monophonic parts. 37 keys are fine for that.

This form factor is way better than the SH-201, imho, that thing was huge and just could not justify the real estate. it also looks way better. In these departments roland is on the right track.

What could really kill it for me is the possibility that, as a repackaging of old roland tech, it could inherit old roland issues, like "it has sync and ring modulation, but turn these on and it's monophonic and you lose the filter".

That's just wrong and I hope they find a way around it (sharing a filter between parts 1 and 2 would be adequate).

It still has my attention because Roland is very competitively priced where I live but between repackagings, poorly implemented feature creep and poor sound, their way of doing things just doesn't work for me.

• Members

Looks nice. But goddamn it... I hate AC adaptors. Never feels pro with something that can just get karate chopped off.

I'd take that money,.. and go clean and mod my Jen SX1000.

Still tho, compared to any other small VA.. interface wise this thing blows them all away.

• Members
Evidentially you have to be a "company of significance".
:idk:

Oh well, by now almost everyone knows that Umbra really has nothing of any significance to say. Like CR once said (I believe it was CR), he's KSS biggest troll.

• Members

Significance also meaning whether it suits one's particular interests, of course.

One of the big three announced a fricking analog synth, that could mean more of that being developed in the future. And some bitch about it. My impression is a lot of bitching is just for the joy of bitching.

• Members

pretty much.

what's interesting is the gaia is similar in sounds and specs to the novation A/K/V stations and xiosynth. and nobody remembers they even made synths in ages :lol:

anyway .. i guess we figure bigger company, bigger things :idk: since I don't care much for radias myself, i'd be nice to have a large full featured VA to compliment my virus with though..

• Members
One of the big three announced a fricking analog synth,

You mean the one that is the size of an old texas instruments calculator and has 4 knobs with no midi and is going to cost about $80? Like I said, not significant, about all that's going to do is go peeeeee-eeeee-eeee(add more -eee if you use the lfo). The best use for that thing is as a replacement for a frostwave resonator, at least a frostwave takes a normal quarter inch cable.

• Members
what's interesting is the gaia is similar in sounds and specs to the novation A/K/V stations and xiosynth. and nobody remembers they even made synths in ages
:lol:

My only VA right now is a Novation A-Station, and yeah, they've pretty much been doing the "Roland sound" as good or better than Roland has for the last 10 years or so. There is currently a Xiosynth 49 on Guitar Center's Used website that they are asking $149 for. Someone should snag it up quick.

• Members

You mean the one that is the size of an old texas instruments calculator and has 4 knobs with no midi and is going to cost about $80?

If it stops there it's lame. The trend is exciting though. Once they've set things up to make the parts it's hardly believable korg's new analog plan won't come to further fruition.

Plus it's too much of a bargain not to. I'm buying as soon as it's out, especially out of showing love for the idea.

• Members

You mean the one that is the size of an old texas instruments calculator and has 4 knobs with no midi and is going to cost about $80? Like I said, not significant, about all that's going to do is go peeeeee-eeeee-eeee(add more -eee if you use the lfo). The best use for that thing is as a replacement for a frostwave resonator, at least a frostwave takes a normal quarter inch cable.

whats he talking about?? A specific synth?

I'd love a new analog like a CS-01, MG-1 or SX1000. If you can't make good sounds with those synths.

GIVE UP

• Members

My impression is a lot of bitching is just for the joy of bitching.

Are you really happy with a synth that has three stripped down SH-201 engines and a few PCM samples?

Evidentially you have to be a "company of significance".

Radikal is hardly a mainstream instrument manufacturer. They are hardly even a mainstream synth manufacturer. It wouldn't suprise me if they were not even in business in a year (personally I hope they are in business as Spec'y is awsome).

If your all happy with some lower end rehashes of existing stuff your easy to please. Really the only decent release was from Elektron and we wont even be able to buy that this year.

And stop the troll BS with everyone you don't agree with, it's weak at best.

• Members

And stop the troll BS with everyone you don't agree with, it's weak at best.

Not trolling anyone, just questioning. If you're thinking you're just going to lay out some bull{censored} here and not expect anyone to question it, then perhaps this isn't the place for you. Those three big manufacturers are NOT the only game in town. You know it. I know it. In this day and age, the big guys don't really drive the market. Just because Roland or Yamaha or Nord didn't come out with some killer synth doesn't mean synthesis is dead. That's just idiotic.

I've never been called a "troll" here...you on the other hand. :rolleyes:

Archived