Jcm800 vs Jubilee - which do I want?

surfcat

• Members

Thinking Jcm800 50w with master or Jubilee 25/50. I can't find either to try though. I want something that does 70's classic rock, Hendrix, AC/DC, GnR, Gov't Mule, VH. At house levels and also sounds great turned up. The Dsl didn't knock me out. The Tsl 122 sounded better to me but the reliability is :eek:. How different are these two? Do they have a modern equivilent in sound?

• Members

Did you mention GnR?

... gee, i wonder what amp Slash got famous for using :confused:

:D

Joking aside, i think that the Jubilee is a better all-rounder which also sounds great at low volume. :)

Good luck trying to find one, though...

• Members

Since you are looking for a nice amp at house levels, gotta give the nod to the Silver jubilee. They are expensive now though.

You might consider a 2 channel JCM800 as a cheaper alternative. Sure it won't sound the same as a silver jubilee, but I think it will get the tones you are looking for.

• Members

Both are awesome amps! The Jubilee has way more gain and is a little darker sounding than a JCM800. Both share the same power stage, just different preamps. Tough call but I'd go for a Jubilee. If you don't dig it you shouldn't have any problem getting your money back, quite possibly more.

• Members

I say 2203.

Got a 2203 and a 2555 in front of me right now :D

2203 is bigger sounding. Not as much gain, but a boost sorts that out easily.

Price wise, Jubilee's have gone insane at the moment. 2553 25/50 head went for over

• Members

:eek:

I don't need anything bigger sounding than my Jubilee. I really need to set it up side by side with a 2203.

There's {censored} all in it really. Both are fantastic amps.

IMO, with a boost in front to get the gain levels the same, the 2203 sounds a little bit sweeter, but, wtf, horses for courses...

• Members

The 2553's are what are meant to go with the 2x12. The 2553's are smaller than the 2550's and 2555's. He has a 2555 or 2550 I dont remember. the 2550's are 50 watts, the 2553's are 50 watts and the 2555's are 100 watts. Hope this cleared things up.

• Members

I'm a little confused with all the Jcm800 models and the amount of gain they actually have. Is a boost essential to get hard rock distortion at lower levels on all of them or just the single channel ones? Does the 50w break up much easier at lower volumes than the 100w? Just not sure which model to look for. I don't need stadium level volume-just small clubs or outside party type gigs so 50w should be enough-would I need a pedal for that to get GnR level distortion?

Archived