Mesa Roadster vs Fender EVH 5150 III vs Marshall JVM

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes...I know a "boost" isn't necessarily for more gain.

But it's a suggestion that either the amp is somehow defective...or we're trying to use it for something other than what it was designed for?

mhenson...I was knocking it. Don't know what gave you the idea that that is what I was doing. I know it's hard to find the perfect amp...and if a simple pedal gets you there....great!

Is';t there some other amp that will do it without added apparatti?

I just think it's weird to have to add a pedal to a nice amp. Not knocking at all. I have a huge pedal in front of my amp. You guys think that is weird, I'm sure!

Yeah. I find it odd that I place a $150 pedal in front of my $4,100 amp and my $3,800 amp. But if it makes it sound even better, then so be it. Quite honestly, I'd rather not like it better that way - but I do.

• Members

Yeah. I find it odd that I place a $150 pedal in front of my $4,100 amp and my $3,800 amp. But if it makes it sound even better, then so be it. Quite honestly, I'd rather not like it better that way - but I do.

Yep...find what works for ya!

• Members

I dunno....

whenever I think of "nu-metal" I think Mesa Recto...

guess it's just me assuming {censored}.
:(

I don't play or like nu-metal. Yes a lot of nu-metal bands used rectos, but nu-metal never had tight, technical or even fast playing... nu-metal was always pretty loose and bassy... when I said metal I'm meaning more of the extreme variety... thrash/grind/tech/death metal...

• Members

Not sure yet really. Only tried it with the uberschall and that amp was pissing me off... sounded like {censored} lately. Waiting to try it with the Roadster and 5153...

I know the Mojo Drive sounds great with the 5153, not sure about the Roadster. Here's an update on speakers. I just bought an old Sunn 4x12 cab with Jensen C12N speakers. Well actually the speakers are relabeled as Sunn and have the Jensen 220 code and C12N marking. I've been back and forth on speakers. The C12N speakers probably sound better, with the 5153 than what I've had up till now. They're super tight with clear, articulate crunchy, complex sounding midrange. Harmonics are unbelievable and jump out. Depending on how you dial the amp you can get either upper mids or lower mids. The Sunn cab is a 1969 and built like a tank. Jensen still makes and sells the C12N speakers.

• Members

I know the Mojo Drive sounds great with the 5153, not sure about the Roadster. Here's an update on speakers. I just bought an old Sunn 4x12 cab with Jensen C12N speakers. Well actually the speakers are relabeled as Sunn and have the Jensen 220 code and C12N marking. I've been back and forth on speakers. The C12N speakers probably sound better, with the 5153 than what I've had up till now. They're super tight with clear, articulate crunchy, complex sounding midrange. Harmonics are unbelievable and jump out. Depending on how you dial the amp you can get either upper mids or lower mids. The Sunn cab is a 1969 and built like a tank. Jensen still makes and sells the C12N speakers.

Cool. Think you could record something soon using just those speakers?

• Members

HAHAHAHA....this thread should be stickied and titled "THIS is why you ultimately have to decide what amp is right for you"....all 3 of the amps the OP asked about has been said to be the "best" @ one time or another in this thread....I will say that I've gotten some stunning deals on amps that people bought and didn't like simply because they weren't matching them up to the right speakers....some people think a speaker is just a speaker and they are all the same....they couldn't be further from the truth if they tried....

• Members

It was a straight Marshall cab. I don't know which model. I really don't know much about Marshall stuff since I've never really been into them before the JVM.

I haven't tried a 5153 or Roadster yet but I have tried the JVM....it was sitting on top of a Marshall cab with the g1275's in it and I thought it blew billy goats thru that cab no matter where I put the tone controls....there was a purple VM cab with the g12c's sitting next to it so I plugged it into that and WOW it was amazing thru that cab....sounded like a totally different amp....I didn't mess with any of the tone controls either....both cabs would sound better once broken in but the 1275's sucked so bad to start they would still suck after being broke in....IMO the JVM is a very speaker sensitive amp....

• Members

Phil, you're alive!!!!!!:p I was wondering what happened to you.

That is great that you are dabbling in different speakers, etc. Not sure if you saw my other post about the 12AX7 swaps. I talked with Doug's Tubes the other day and they were recommending some good ones to get a good balance between warmth and good crunch.

• Members
Phil, you're alive!!!!!!
:p
I was wondering what happened to you.

That is great that you are dabbling in different speakers, etc. Not sure if you saw my other post about the 12AX7 swaps. I talked with Doug's Tubes the other day and they were recommending some good ones to get a good balance between warmth and good crunch.

Hey Mike. Yes I read your thread and took some notes. Tube swaps are def cheaper than buying speakers and sometimes payoff.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
i have owned all three and my opinion is slightly mixed. the jvm is beaten by the other two in almost every aspect. the roadsters head was better for me because the cleans are much better than the evhs and the high gain was much more tight and crunchy. however mesas cabinets are very weak. while at the same time, the evhs cabinet is a beast. if you can, the ideal setup for you would be an evh cabinet and the roadster head. you cant go wrong with those two.

Archived