Mesa Roadster vs Fender EVH 5150 III vs Marshall JVM

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Hey

I REALLY love the JVM!

Im a very picky tone guy too.

The cleans are good, the dirty blues tones sing, and the 3rd channel lead distortion is awesome. Channel 4 dist is ok..i prefer channel 3.

Seriously man, people love to hype up mesa but playing both there is no comparison.

what kinda music do you play?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which did you like the best for metal riffing?

Tough call. I think they are all great for metal riffing. Though, the Roadster needed a boost for the type of metal riffing I like. I really liked the EVH. The JVM seems to have more gain though. Really, I'd be happy with all three for just metal. I do think the Roadster does everything else well.

I would think it would be easy to find a GC with at least one of these amps in stock. You should definately try to find one to play.

• Members

Tough call. I think they are all great for metal riffing. Though, the Roadster needed a boost for the type of metal riffing I like. I really liked the EVH. The JVM seems to have more gain though. Really, I'd be happy with all three for just metal. I do think the Roadster does everything else well.

I would think it would be easy to find a GC with at least one of these amps in stock. You should definately try to find one to play.

So, you think the boosted roadster easily hangs with the 5153? I'm thinking I wouldn't like the JVM for metal since it's more oldschool sounding... unless channel OD2 can pull off a more modern sound?

• Members

So, you think the boosted roadster easily hangs with the 5153? I'm thinking I wouldn't like the JVM for metal since it's more oldschool sounding... unless channel OD2 can pull off a more modern sound?

The Mesa doesn't need the boost for gain, it has tons. I just like it tighter and the boost does that. I did like the channel 2 vintage mode with a boost and the gain dialed back. Awesome mid-gain tones.

I don't know what channel I was on when using the JVM but it sounded pretty modern to me. It can definately get brutal.

• Members

...I posted before saying I preferred the EVH, but....I did thinl the Roadster had the best Cleans, and mid-gain tones I ever heard from a Boogie. It was Channels 3 and 4 that gave me frustration.

Channel 2 on the EVH is magic.....I took the gain knob, started 0, and gradually went to 10 while my budy was playing it, and all the way up, the gain was usable, never mushed, or farted out......loved it.

• Members

The Mesa doesn't need the boost for gain, it has tons. I just like it tighter and the boost does that. I did like the channel 2 vintage mode with a boost and the gain dialed back. Awesome mid-gain tones.

I don't know what channel I was on when using the JVM but it sounded pretty modern to me. It can definately get brutal.

What cab did you try the JVM out with?

• Members

You should really try the JVM. But make sure when you try it you try out every channel with different modes. It has great cleans and the OD1 channel can easily do metal. I just got rid of a Single Rec, and when I tried the JVM out I almost bought it.

I think it would do best for the styles you mentioned, but I've played all 3 of these amps and theyre all great. Just make sure you try before you buy.

• Members

I've had my JVM for a few months.. I've Gigged it, Practiced with it and Played it. I'm not very good at all with reviews but it's awsome. I was on the fence for the past few weeks about selling it, I got a Tiny Terror, and i seemed to prefer it over the JVM. :confused:

I've been playing the JVM exclusively for the past week or two, and it really is awesome. I've been playing it since i got it, in fairly big practice spaces, and my own practice room; Which is all just walls, no curtains, carpet etc. And it didn't really sound nice to my ears. This was the point that i was thinking about letting it go. The other day, i moved it into another room (Or Hallway), that is about 5"x3" and put some rugs and quilts up around the walls, turned it up to my normal playing volume. Wow! On OD1 Orange, it sounds AWSOME. Very Thick and crunchy!

Like i said.. I'm pretty shit when it comes to reviews. If you have any questions, i'll try my best to answer them. :)

• Members

I've played all 3 of these amps this week, and for me it would be down to the JVM & Roadster. The 5150III was not what I expected and I didn't like the tone or eq voicing at all. I'll leave it at that.

I do agree with mhenson that the Roadster needs a boost for tight/fast riffs, and quick stop-n-go rhythms. I wish Mesa would include some sort of voicing switch to address this, but a boost pedal works fine. Also the 3 way Bold-On-Spongy power/mode switch seems poorly thought out as you have to now turn the amp off to switch from diode to tube rectification. The JVM is tighter, sounds better at low volumes, and is overall a much brighter sounding amp with the classic Marshall mid-crunch. The Roadster is darker and spongier, but all the extra features Mesa added seem to all work as advertised. I wasn't to impressed with the spring reverb myself except on the clean channel in clean mode. Channel 3 in both vintage & modern modes sounds better to me than all of the Dual Rectos I've owned which was unexpected. Also the Roadster has an attached power chord that attaches inside the amp (can't remove it easily). I do like the fx loop layout though more on the JVM (with 2 seperate fx loops), so if you're heavy into fx this may be a consideration for you. Play em side to side and the differences in sound are pretty apparent and you'll probably prefer one more as the sound of each is very different. Both amps sounded good, but very different.

• Members

i have a 5153 and roadtser and i owned 2 jvm's and the jvm was my least favorite, i still have the roadtser and 5153.

i like the roadtser cleans the best of the 3 amps and for metal i liked the roadtser boosted, if you not gonna boost it then i like the 5153 better.

• Members

i have a 5153 and roadtser and i owned 2 jvm's and the jvm was my least favorite, i still have the roadtser and 5153.

i like the roadtser cleans the best of the 3 amps and for metal i liked the roadtser boosted, if you not gonna boost it then i like the 5153 better.

you run your boost in the loop or in the front???

• Members

I haven't played them side by side but I would think the Roadster would be the choice. The problem would be that the high gain may be a little loose on the low end for some ppl, so you might need a tube screamer or EQ in front.

Nine months later I still love my RKII.

• Members

So, for metal you like the Roadster boosted just as much as the 5153?

& Bump for thread. WTB a Roadster and 5153 so I can compare. Let me know if you know of anybody selling, please...

• Members

So, for metal you like the Roadster boosted just as much as the 5153?

& Bump for thread. WTB a Roadster and 5153 so I can compare. Let me know if you know of anybody selling, please...

IS it weird for me to think it's weird to have to boost a Roadster?

I mean...for real. Just tell me, I won't be offended.

• Members

IS it weird for me to think it's weird to have to boost a Roadster?

I mean...for real. Just tell me, I won't be offended.

I boosted the one I owned. It tightens the low end. You don't really do it to add gain. You should try it before you knock it. ;)

• Members

Yes...I know a "boost" isn't necessarily for more gain.

But it's a suggestion that either the amp is somehow defective...or we're trying to use it for something other than what it was designed for?

mhenson...I was knocking it. Don't know what gave you the idea that that is what I was doing. I know it's hard to find the perfect amp...and if a simple pedal gets you there....great!

Is';t there some other amp that will do it without added apparatti?

I just think it's weird to have to add a pedal to a nice amp. Not knocking at all. I have a huge pedal in front of my amp. You guys think that is weird, I'm sure!

Archived