Mesa Roadster vs Fender EVH 5150 III vs Marshall JVM

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I sold my Uberschall two days ago, and I'm now looking for a new amp. I want something versatile now, and I'm looking at these 3... I know the 5150 III isn't necessarily as versatile as the other two because it doesn't have all the special features, but I still think it'd be versatile enough for me.

I'm real big on nice, bright twin reverb style cleans for instrumental, ambient rock music... mostly clean playing with lots of effects, and also a bright, aggressive, tight high gain metal tone for tech metal/grind/shred kinda stuff. A nice mid-gain crunchy rock tone would be nice too, but that's not as high on my priorities as the clean & high gain.

I've recently become really interested in the Roadster since it would pretty much offer me Lonestar cleans (which I love) and a dual rec (there's quite afew bands I like that have used boosted dual recs), but I'm also still interested in the 5150 III and vaguely curious about the JVM.

I just wanted to hear some feedback from you guys on what you think of them... any comparisons, info, etc. Which do you think has the nicest cleans? Which has the most aggressive metal tones? Can a boosted Roadster get as tight as the 5150 III? How does the JVM compare as far as tightness?

Help me decide here, guys. I admit I am least interested in the JVM, but it could surprise me.... never know...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO the JVM is one of the best marshall cleans but compared to my laney VH100 (which has a real fendery clean ) the laney wins hands down

3 really good amp choices so you will be a winner no matter what , just getting something clostest to what you want is the problem

I was going between the JVM and the roadster and ended up taking the JVM

• Members

I haven't had a chance to look into the 5150 III yet but I'm assuming its cleans are similar to the I and II series. Although I can live with my 5150II clean, generally you have to rule out the Peavey if you like to use clean a lot.

• Members

I've owned the evh and the roadster and I've played the JVM several times. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Roadster. Since you are into cleans I think that would be a good choice. I liked the EVH too (really just channel 3, 2 was lacking for me and 1 I really didn't use), but I thought the build quality was suspect. JVM I just don't know enough about to recommend over the Mesa. I really liked it in the store though. Get a BB preamp to boost the Mesa!

• Members

I haven't had a chance to look into the 5150 III yet but I'm assuming its cleans are similar to the I and II series. Although I can live with my 5150II clean, generally you have to rule out the Peavey if you like to use clean a lot.

the III is made by fender... not peavey.

• Members

It's not by Peavey, and from what I've heard supposedly has really nice cleans...

• Members

I've owned the evh and the roadster and I've played the JVM several times. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with the Roadster. Since you are into cleans I think that would be a good choice. I liked the EVH too (really just channel 3, 2 was lacking for me and 1 I really didn't use), but I thought the build quality was suspect. JVM I just don't know enough about to recommend over the Mesa. I really liked it in the store though. Get a BB preamp to boost the Mesa!

Which did you like the best for metal riffing?

• Members

I dont know why Im gonna respond since it doesnt mean {censored}.. I think all 3 of the amps you've mentioned have been recommended over the other in this post.. you gotta play all 3..

But I have played the EVH 5153 and the JVM and tested them to the pooint where I got a good vibe on each. Out of those 2 I would have to choose the 5153.. To me the JVM is just ok.. It does have the options, and does sound good, but the 5153 just had more character to the gain, and the clean channel of the 5153 goes from a nice clean to a PERFECT tube overdrive. Really a great channel and sound.. The High gain channel was actually what left me a little "wanting" with the 5153. DOnt get me wrong it sounds good, but not as good as the Original 5150's, of which I am a proud owner..

The JVM I felt was also good all the way around, but it didnt really impress me.. It just didnt grab me the way the 5153 did.. I tested both thru an old Marshall cab with Greenbacks..

• Members

I dont know why Im gonna respond since it doesnt mean {censored}.. I think all 3 of the amps you've mentioned have been recommended over the other in this post.. you gotta play all 3..

But I have played the EVH 5153 and the JVM and tested them to the pooint where I got a good vibe on each. Out of those 2 I would have to choose the 5153.. To me the JVM is just ok.. It does have the options, and does sound good, but the 5153 just had more character to the gain, and the clean channel of the 5153 goes from a nice clean to a PERFECT tube overdrive. Really a great channel and sound.. The High gain channel was actually what left me a little "wanting" with the 5153. DOnt get me wrong it sounds good, but not as good as the Original 5150's, of which I am a proud owner..

The JVM I felt was also good all the way around, but it didnt really impress me.. It just didnt grab me the way the 5153 did.. I tested both thru an old Marshall cab with Greenbacks..

I'm gonna be using a bogner cab with 4 v30's... I don't really like greenbacks for the heavier stuff

• Members

Yeah..

I was gonna suggest the Ecstasy as well, but you shot down the cleans.

What didn't you like about the cleans on the ecstasy?

I've also done alot of research on this, btw.

It seems that the overall consensus is that the JVM is just.. nice.

It's not great, its not bad, its just...nice.

I hope that helps.

What about the VHT Sig X that's coming out soon?

• Members

Hey

I REALLY love the JVM!

Im a very picky tone guy too.

The cleans are good, the dirty blues tones sing, and the 3rd channel lead distortion is awesome. Channel 4 dist is ok..i prefer channel 3.

Seriously man, people love to hype up mesa but playing both there is no comparison.

• Members

Yeah..

I was gonna suggest the Ecstasy as well, but you shot down the cleans.

What didn't you like about the cleans on the ecstasy?

I've also done alot of research on this, btw.

It seems that the overall consensus is that the JVM is just.. nice.

It's not great, its not bad, its just...nice.

I hope that helps.

What about the VHT Sig X that's coming out soon?

The ecstacy's cleans just aren't very good... way better on the shiva, plus I don't want to spend that much... the sig x definitely looks cool, but l have a v30 cab and I know they're designed to work with the VHT speakers, so I dunno... also unsure how they'd be for metal. Either way, it doesn't look like they'll be available for a while and probably not at used prices for a while after that... :(

Archived