What amps did you regret BUYING?

Boris the Blade

• Members

JCM 900 dual MV type - my first Marshall.

Young and impressionable as i was, i figured i couldn't go wrong with a 100 W non-hybrid Marshall head. I found out i could...

Eventually it got stolen from the rehearsal room, and i figure that the thieves got what they deserved :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tophat Emplexador

Man, I was so juiced up to try own one based on all the internet lore...I thought it would be the ultimate "marshall"...what a dud...I truly do not understand all the hype surrounding that amp.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=249294

Looking at your amp stable, the Emplex lives in a different world. Not better; not worse; just different.

• Members

Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp. I only bought it because I wanted to go full rack along with my ADA MP-1. But I think I prefered the sound of it through my JCM900 (which I sold to get the poweramp), it had more balls though a tab noisy even with a NS-2.

• Members

I have bought and traded for some amps that turned out to be disappointing, but I don't regret any of them. I just sell or trade them away, and keep the knowledge I gained from getting to try them out extensively in my own environment. I currently have a Krank Krankenstien that falls in this disappointing category. There are just so many amps that do better at what this amp supposedly does and for less $. But I was curious about Krank amps as they get so much bad press around here.

• Members

Not really an amp but both of the Rocktron Chameleon's I've owned have sucked big time, one was a 2000 so I kind of expected it, the other was one of the original ones and I was equally as disappointed. Just not natural sounding at all.

• Members

Diezel Herbert

Not that it is a bad amp, just that I gave up my XTC for it which suits me better.
Maybe a THD UniValve as well...I just didn`t get along with that thing at all. Was very thin and raspy, but it could have been because I was a nooblet when I had it as well. I would give one a chance again, but I dodn`t think I would own one again

• Members
It'll probably be the Marshall 6100 halfstack I'm getting now. It's big, it's blue and there's no way my wife won't notice it. So, I'll probably be divorced soon! Talk about regret!
;)

Well, at least you'll have more time to play with the amp once you're divorced. You might not have a house to keep it in though.:p

Archived