Fractal Audio AxeFx does MOP

GITTarzann

• Members

I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for a Cornford and RoadKing. I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for a Splawn modded Marshall and a Fender Vibrolux. I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for an SLO or a Bogner XTC nor a HotCat 100. I wouldn't trade it for any of the amps I have owned or even a pair of the amps I have owned.

Are you just recording direct or are you running it through some kind of power amp? Have you used it live?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fractal claims the wait to be 4 - 5 months, with the entire wait list disappearing sometime in early '08 as they have entered a new production facility. No money is required to get on the list.

Hmm, that's way different than what I heard before. I heard like 18 months and you had to put half down.... guess someone was wrong....

• Members

Are you just recording direct or are you running it through some kind of power amp? Have you used it live?

I have recorded with it. Used it live through a Marshall JMP 100 SLP that has an added fx loop. I have run direct to the PA as well live. For me, it has been stellar in every aspect.

• Members

I waited a little over 3 months to get my standard during this Summer. Like someone already said, you can bypass the waiting list and pay full price ($400.00 more) to get one immediately.

Here's a couple more recent Axe FX metal clips (not by me):

Death Metal type tone

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4539205ad52098

Pantera tone (this is by the same guy that did the MOP clip)

http://guitarlogic.org/axefxclips/panteraish.mp3

• Members

Sounds pretty much right.. but it's a tiny bit more scooped than the original AJFA sound, if that's possible. :D

I waited a little over 3 months to get my standard during this Summer. Like someone already said, you can bypass the waiting list and pay full price ($400.00 more) to get one immediately.

Here's a couple more recent Axe FX metal clips (not by me):

Death Metal type tone

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4539205ad52098

Pantera tone (this is by the same guy that did the MOP clip)

http://guitarlogic.org/axefxclips/panteraish.mp3

Holy {censored}ing {censored}. That first clip sounds huge... and the pantera clip is freaking identical to Vulgar Display of Power's tone.

I've got to try one of these things out. They're obviously awesome for recording. How do they sound as live / practice amps? How steep is the learning curve?

• Members

line 6=$3-400 (yes hundred)

axefx= like $3000 (yes THOUSANDS)

interesting not at all.

Line 6 is not in the same league as the AxeFx, so it isn't a fair comparison,and the

Fractal Axe-Fx is 1349.00 for a standard and the Ultra is 1899.00

Not cheap, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.....most of the time.

Line 6 Vetta head= 1699.00

I know you still need a power amp and speakers for the Fractal.

• Members

Been waiting to hear or see vid clip demos of a AXE FX used with a band. Not on polished clips tho. I know they work for that, so do PODs when mixed with 4 tracks and a stack of plugins.

Here are some U2 videos.

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?t=1571&mforum=axefx

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?t=1566&mforum=axefx

• Members

+1 Me too

I can hear it in the AJFA and the Pantera clip, but not really in the Severed Savior clip. I still think the tones are nice though.

I have heard some clips that sound digital and some that sound totally real to me. I need to get one and hear it in person before I am going to be a believer.

But, I am on the list and patiently (NOT) waiting to try it.

• Members

Line 6 is not in the same league as the AxeFx, so it isn't a fair comparison,and the

Fractal Axe-Fx is 1349.00 for a standard and the Ultra is 1899.00

Not cheap, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.....most of the time.

Line 6 Vetta head= 1699.00

I know you still need a power amp and speakers for the Fractal.

You can pick up vetta's cheap when used, what power amp you using with your fractal ? can you hook it up to the PC and edit the patches etc ?

can it run two amps at once ?

You can figure a decent tube power amp is going to cost you another $800.

That brings the price of both fractal units above $2000, without a cabinet.

I have not been impressed by MOST fractal clips I have heard.

The higher end Line 6's = Better bang for the buck and proven live and in most studios.

I would love to try a AxeFX though, but I do not see it really replacing any of my live rigs.

• Members

Am i the only one that thinks the clip is really bright and a lot thinner than the original MOP tone ?

Granted, im listening on my pc speakers at work but i gotta be honest and say i prefer Bulb, Tesseact and Black Neon Bobs PODxt clips

For example. I think this PODxt clip sounds a lot better.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=518717

• Members

which is exactly the point no one can seem to get through their line6 bashing heads lol.

I am not bashing Line 6 am I ? At least not outright bashing.

I don't care for Line 6, I have owned some of their gear, and I have heard it many times.

One experience I had was at a Gary Hoey concert. Gary was a judge for the GC Guitarmageddon in LA. The winner was from Fresno, and Gary was playing the next week after the finals in Fresno. He invited the guy to come jam with him at the show (totally cool btw). Both guys did a sound check and sounded pretty good. Gary was playing through his Soldano SLO rackmount and the other guy (I can't remember his name, Andrew I think) was playing a Vetta II.

They both sounded nice at sound check.

Gary did about half his show, and then invited the guy up. You couldn't hear him at all, and the volumes were the same. The tone sounded lifeless compared to the SLO.

Gary let the guy switch plugs (Gary in to the Vetta, and the other guy in to the SLO and what a huge difference. They were doing kind of a cutting heads thing. It was a lot of fun, Gary was a better overall guitarist, but the other guy did well, and sounded much better through the SLO.

To be totally fair though, I have been places where bands are playing and I hear it and think it sounds pretty good, and when I get close enough to see the amps, they were playing Line6 stuff.

I have never heard a two guitarist band where one played a conventional amp and one played a Line6 that I thought the Line 6 sounded better though.

• Members

You can pick up vetta's cheap when used, what power amp you using with your fractal ?

Yes you can, you can sell the Axe-Fx for more than you pay for it right now.

I don't actually own one yet, but I am going to try it with conventional tube poweramp and guitar cabs first, then I am going to go to GC and try some nice powered monitors. JBL, QSC etc.

can you hook it up to the PC and edit the patches etc ?

There is an editor. It is still in developmental stages just like the Axe-Fx.

can it run two amps at once ?

Yes and 2 of every effect in it. Just a side note....from what I have been told, the Axe-Fx's amp sims are so intensive, no other "modeling" device could even run one amp sim, all by itself.

You can figure a decent tube power amp is going to cost you another $800.

That brings the price of both fractal units above $2000, without a cabinet.

No doubt...add to that my All Access and expression pedals. well over 3 grand.

I have not been impressed by MOST fractal clips I have heard.

The higher end Line 6's = Better bang for the buck and proven live and in most studios.

I would love to try a AxeFX though, but I do not see it really replacing any of my live rigs

I don't know if I have been impressed by most either. I have been really impressed by a couple. The thing that blows me away, (and I keep saying this over and over), people with huge amounts of killer gear are going ape {censored} over this processor. That is what has me interested. If it is as killer as most of the people who own one says it is...it is a much better value "to me" than anything else including Line 6, and it will replace my gear...which on the used market is around 10G's plus.

• Members

Am i the only one that thinks the clip is really bright and a lot thinner than the original MOP tone ?

Granted, im listening on my pc speakers at work but i gotta be honest and say i prefer Bulb, Tesseact and Black Neon Bobs PODxt clips

For example. I think this PODxt clip sounds a lot better.....

That clip sounds very good. I'm actually pretty surprised as I'm not a fan of L6 gear either.

• Members

That clip sounds very good. I'm actually pretty surprised as I'm not a fan of L6 gear either.

Yeah, i think line 6 gear on its own sounds good. Not as good as tube amp but not too bad either.

But it can definately sound great for people who know how to use them. In the right hands they can sound badass like in that clip above and many other floating around on the net. But for every good one you will get 10 bad ones. Bottom line is - some people can use them and tweak them and some cant but the until is definately capable of some great tones

• Members

I have an ultra on order, it should ship "any day now".

I don't plan on it replacing my triamp or XTC, but I do plan on using it for FX. It sounds better, is more versatile, and easier to program then a g-force or an eclipse. If some of the models sound good, then great, I'll use them. I'm honestly not impressed, amp wise, but any clips that I've heard, but I'm keeping an open mind.

It should be nice for recording either way.

-W

Archived