Fractal Audio AxeFx does MOP

GITTarzann

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have an ultra on order, it should ship "any day now".

I don't plan on it replacing my triamp or XTC, but I do plan on using it for FX. It sounds better, is more versatile, and easier to program then a g-force or an eclipse. If some of the models sound good, then great, I'll use them. I'm honestly not impressed, amp wise, but any clips that I've heard, but I'm keeping an open mind.

It should be nice for recording either way.

-W

Keep us posted !

• Members

I think it's lacking some of the depth of the original, but that's damn close! Good job man!
:thu:

i was kinda thinking the same thing

very nice tho...that's one of the few modeler clips i've heard doing riffs that you could fool me into thinking it was a real amp

BTW savo that's a great sounding xt clip there as well! the open low palm muted parts have a bit of that congested high end thing going on, but the rest of it sounds killer! i could never get my pod xt to sound that good

i'm not running out to buy this $2k preamp either tho, i like real obnoxious loud amps :D

• Members

Am i the only one that thinks the clip is really bright and a lot thinner than the original MOP tone ?

Granted, im listening on my pc speakers at work but i gotta be honest and say i prefer Bulb, Tesseact and Black Neon Bobs PODxt clips

For example. I think this PODxt clip sounds a lot better.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=518717

+1. In fact, this is the first really halfway decent AxeFX high gain/metalish clip I've heard. Almost all of them sound thinner and more grating than a POD or plug-in Like Amplitube/RevalverII/GR3, etc.

Of course, it's not like I've been scouring the net for clips, since I have little interest, beyond morbid curiosity, in a $2000 modeler. :idk: And, I have no doubt it could be made to sound really good in the right hands.

People write off the Line 6 stuff because it's not ultra expensive and because they've heard ten million bad hacks playing them because everyone has one.... So it's common, digital, and inexpensive. A lot of people will completely write it off from day one. There's no exclusivity, no connoisseur factor.

But, really, if you can get over the "feel" issue there is a ton of tone there: an XT+an EQ is a really good basis for great tone especially in the home studio environment. I haven't heard any Fractal stuff that's blown my mind and probably won't, not because they don't sound good but because, I know modeling stuff can sound good without caveats already.

• Members

I just went down the recording page and listened to just about every clip, and I can't believe people would pay that much money for this unit. To me, it really doesn't sound good. So far the best thing I've heard is the original MOP clip on this thread. All of the mid gain sounds are thin, and the cleans are sterile. I honestly think the line 6 stuff kills this, and I really don't like anything from line 6.

Plus anything that Scott Peterson loves is pretty much guaranteed to suck, that douche just doesn't know good tone...

• Members

I just went down the recording page and listened to just about every clip, and I can't believe people would pay that much money for this unit. To me, it really doesn't sound good. So far the best thing I've heard is the original MOP clip on this thread. All of the mid gain sounds are thin, and the cleans are sterile. I honestly think the line 6 stuff kills this, and I really don't like anything from line 6.

Plus anything that Scott Peterson loves is pretty much guaranteed to suck, that douche just doesn't know good tone...

What do you play gear wise ?

I see people giving their insight on how people should or should not spend their money. I would bet there are a lot of people who wouldn't pay for your gear as well. To each their own.

I think the way Cliff chooses to do business, give you a 30'ish day trial period, if you don't like the unit for any reason send it back minus shipping is pretty good indicator of what kind of unit it is. I haven't heard of any one returning the Axe-Fx. I would guess some have, but I have not read it yet.

Scott P. has played some serious gear, and may or may not be able to tell tone. I think he does, but that isn't the point.

There are a bunch of owners who have access or own A LOT of top notch gear, and they rave about this unit.

• Members

I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for a Cornford and RoadKing. I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for a Splawn modded Marshall and a Fender Vibrolux. I wouldn't trade my Axe-FX for an SLO or a Bogner XTC nor a HotCat 100. I wouldn't trade it for any of the amps I have owned or even a pair of the amps I have owned.

I wouldn't trade them Sam I am.

• Members

I wouldn't trade them Sam I am.

I play the Axe-FX out on the town.

I play the Axe-FX at home sitting down.

I play the Axe-FX on recordings you see.

I play the Axe-FX cause it's the unit for me.

Green eggs and ham is the breakfast of the damned.

• Members

im sorry, anyone saying they hear digital in that clip is full of {censored}, theyre just hearing what they want to hear. Now ill agree that the line 6 and boss stuff mostly sounds really "digital", but that clip is just a straight up great metal tone, and no i dont own the axe-fx or plan on getting one(but if i had the cash..)

• Members
i was kinda thinking the same thing

very nice tho...that's one of the few modeler clips i've heard doing riffs that you could fool me into thinking it was a real amp

BTW savo that's a great sounding xt clip there as well! the open low palm muted parts have a bit of that congested high end thing going on, but the rest of it sounds killer! i could never get my pod xt to sound that good

i'm not running out to buy this $2k preamp either tho, i like real obnoxious loud amps
:D

Agreed on all points. :cool:

• Members

im sorry, anyone saying they hear digital in that clip is full of {censored}, theyre just hearing what they want to hear. Now ill agree that the line 6 and boss stuff mostly sounds really "digital", but that clip is just a straight up great metal tone, and no i dont own the axe-fx or plan on getting one(but if i had the cash..)

While I can't say nobody else can hear digital in it, I'll say I personally can't hear digital artifacts in it and wish I had the $ to get one and time to work with it. Sounds pretty good to me, though some Line 6 clips like the one posted earlier also sound pretty good, IMO.

• Members

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the axe-fx isn't really a modeler. Sure, it does modeling, and it has a bunch of models that come with it. . . but the amp sims are just part of what it does.

The thing has as much processing juice as an eventide FW8000, and the designer is constantly adding new features and updates.

As to the modeling. . . unlike anything line6 makes, you can actually use the Axe-FX to create amps from scratch. That means you can create that wierd hybrid amp you've heard in your head for years.

My current setup will use the ultra along with my XTC or Triamp (or both, as I have a soundsculpture switchblade in my rack as well), so no, I don't plan on giving up my awesome tube amps for it. . . but the damn thing costs less then an Eventide Eclipse and sounds better (to my ears). Can't go wrong with that.

-W

• Members
The guitar sounds just like the record.
:thu:

It doesnt sound much different than a Sansamp PSA-1 though.

+1
There is something similar about both - they have a certain keyboardish smoothness, electronicness - not sure exactly what to call it - but a lack of some kind of complexity in the overall tone. Of course, could just be my imagination ;)

• Members

+1

There is something similar about both - they have a certain keyboardish smoothness, electronicness - not sure exactly what to call it - but a lack of some kind of complexity in the overall tone. Of course, could just be my imagination
;)

Could also be the user interface that the part was recorded with! That has a ton to do with your final

sound... Remember?

• Members

As to the modeling. . . unlike anything line6 makes, you can actually use the Axe-FX to create amps from scratch. That means you can create that wierd hybrid amp you've heard in your head for years.

That sounds very interesting...

• Members

That dude can play huh ! Thanks for those links.

He's a very good friend of mine and I was a bit surprised stumbling across this thread and seeing the MOP clip from his site, so I thought it would be cool to post ftlog. I hope nobody minded

Archived