Mesa Lonestar dirty tone clip

Randy Van Sykes

• Members

The clean tone on this amp is awesome, but I keep reading that a lot of people think that channel 2 can't do hard rock tones...I think it's great for that as well.

Sounds really fat and has great sustain.

This is a Wolfgang guitar (no pedals) into channel 2 with the gain dimed...

treble 2:30

mid off

bass off

presence 10:00

master volume loud into a single C90 speaker miked with a Shure 57.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25331

Another quick clip miked with an EV408...

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25332

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very very excellent tone. You do the right thing always with your clips. You give us some riffs to hear single notes and you give some chord progressions. I hate it when people just post up a bunch of lead notes. I also want to hear if the amp is muddy with chords and how it sustains.

Great job as always.

• Members
first clip with this amp that i've heard that i like.

This shows all the gain that the amp has.
The more you turn up the gain the more you need to increase the treble, and lower the mids and bass, to keep it from mushing out.

I personally would back the gain off and bit and add back in some mids and bass...go for more of a fat Andy Timmons tone. :love:

• Members
Very very excellent tone. You do the right thing always with your clips. You give us some riffs to hear single notes and you give some chord progressions. I hate it when people just post up a bunch of lead notes. I also want to hear if the amp is muddy with chords and how it sustains.

Great job as always.

Thanks...and I know what you mean. ;)

• Members

The lead tone sounds great. the rhythm sounds good too, but different. Sort of like a recto but not... But it sounds as if it has a similar low end, with a different mid emphasis than Im used to hearing. Not quite as low as a recto, but not quite as high as a Marshall. I think the voicing sounds really unique.

• Members

The lead tone sounds great. the rhythm sounds good too, but different. Sort of like a recto but not... But it sounds as if it has a similar low end, when a different mid emphasis than Im used to hearing. Not quite as low as a recto, but not quite as high as a Marshall. I think the voicing sounds really unique.

Interesting Shea...I just got it so I need to play around with it more to really 'know' it.

You know Mesa and their bazillion options...half power, 10 watt mode, tweed mode, thick switch, even thicker switch, tube rectifier, SS rectifier, runs on 6L6 or el34, etc... :freak::lol:

• Members

Tell me about it.
:lol:

About as complicated as I get is, "should I use a y cable or a patch cable today?"
:D

Actually all the options on this amp make good sense. I could see me needing a lot of them one day, maybe in a recording session...the 'tweed' setting sounds :love:

Have you tried one of these? I think you'd dig it...ya know, you're in Texas the amp's named a Lonestar. LOL

• Members
That's some fine tone and playing!
:thu:

I was a little skeptical at first when I saw "mid off" and "bass off", but my skepticism was unwarranted, apparently. I've been curious about the Lonestar's gain channel; I haven't heard a gain clip from one before.

That's how I would set it for full gain.
I ended up finding a great breakup tone, good for pedal boosting by backing the gain off to about 1:30....then I could dial the mids and bass up to 9:00

• Members
I've always dug the Lonestars, sounds very good! There's a reason Andy Timmons uses one.
:thu:

How about some clean clips? I've never heard any around here, maybe I just missed them though.

Awesome playing too!

The clean tone is just a perfect Fender clean to me.

I just gashed my baby finger at work, so no more clips or playing for at least a week for me damnit.

Archived