Mesa Lonestar dirty tone clip

Randy Van Sykes

• Members

Missed this one...,..Love that amp

Randy if you see this or anyone esle can chime in

There is a blues riff in there that you repeat a few times. It starts with the 8th note you played. Its a slide or bend of some kind. I've heard this riff for like 20 years but never thought of incorperating it...but you sold me on it :)

Can someone post a tab? Its only a few notes.

I usually do a bend on such riffs but this sounds like slide

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have had intrest in that amp for a while but have never had the chance to play one. You say it plays nicely with single coils huh? Any chance of gettin' some clips of that on the clean channel? Maybe when your finger gets better...

• Members
Missed this one...,..Love that amp

Randy if you see this or anyone esle can chime in

There is a blues riff in there that you repeat a few times. It starts with the 8th note you played. Its a slide or bend of some kind. I've heard this riff for like 20 years but never thought of incorperating it...but you sold me on it
:)

Can someone post a tab? Its only a few notes.

I usually do a bend on such riffs but this sounds like slide

If it's the pentatonic thing at the beginning, it's just some riff that popped in my head at the time...probably been used in a million songs. ;)
For the bend/slide thing....I tend to hit a note that's already bent up a 1/2 or full tone tone, then release it back down to the original note. It sort of sounds like I'm using a whammy bar...I don't even think about it when I do it actually, just a habit now I guess. When I actually use a bar with that style it's a good way of sounding like you're using a slide without one. I play with an Eagles tribute band sometimes and out of laziness I taught myself how to sound like I'm using a slide without picking one up.

I'll see if I can make a tab...but like you said, it's only a few notes, I'm sure you could lift that lick by ear. ;)

• Members

What model of the Wolfgang guitar were you using on that first clip? I've never played one but that sounded so great that I'm getting interested.

That's a Wolfgang Special...great guitar for gain stuff IMO.

It has high output pickups to drive lower gained amps into that nice zone (like a built in clean boost) and even though they are high output they sound really nice...the two Wolfgang Specials I've owned both sounded just great.

Archived