And the Best Hard Rock/Metal pickup is......

Chrisjd

• Members

....the Seymour Duncan Distortion, at least from what I have tried..

Let me preface this by saying, I have tried MANY MANY pickups in many guitars. to name a few... Dimarzio Evo, Dimarzio super distortion, all the ibanez v pickups, duncan custom, duncan jb, duncan invader, 59, jazz, duncan blackout, duncan dimebucker, emg 81, emg 85, hz, 707, etc.

I recently pulled out my duncan blackout, and popped back in the distortion set that i bought long ago. this pickup just kills in my mahogony guitar.

Through every amp I own, this pickup sounds flat out better for heavy guitar than all the pickups mentioned above, especially through the cobra. When i say better these are the characteristics I am talking about....

Color of tone

output

equalization:Lows, mids, highs

clarity

pick attack

responsivenes

The tone is very warm and FULL. the body of chords is fat, smooth, yet aggressive and raunchy at the same time. This pickup really breaths. output seems to be at least as much as the emg 81 and 85, it drives the amp pretty hard.

the tone is balanced, with a little more emphasis on the upper mids and highs, which is PERFECT for my band, especially considering we have another guitarist. It is a VERY mid heavy pickup.

This is a very clear pickup, clearer than my blackouts hands down. the pick attack is fantastic and it really reacts well to how hard you play.

All in all, i love the distortion, I dont forsee myself buying an active pickup again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Out of everything I've tried, it just never feels/sounds right to me unless I'm using the EMG81.

But... I honestly can't say I've tried a Duncan Distortion yet!

take all the good characteristics from the 81, and then add a lot more depth and body, with more pronounced midrange, and that is the distortion.

I played the 81 for 3 years.

• Members

wow, Imagine that! I've never been a fan of any Duncans at all. Dimarzio's is where it's at for me.

Have you tried the distortion? It KILLS with the Cobra. I know its all opinion, but I {censored} you not, it is the beez kneez with teh cobra.

• Members

Ive got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in my basswood body Peavey Falcon(strat) and im pretty happy with it.

Id like to try a SD Distortion though.

How do those two stack up/differ?

Super distortion is a sweet pickup! I would say that the distortion is a little hotter and just more aggressive sounding, perhaps a touch brighter too. Can't go wrong with the super distortion though...

• Members
i've got an older duncan distortion sitting in a box, that i'm going to put in my ltd sc500. my randall hated it, but i'm hoping my recto will like it. fwiw, my recto hated my dimarzio evo.
:cry:

heres hoping...

I played my mahogony guitar with the distortion in it through my dual rec today and it sounded awesome.

Archived