And the Best Hard Rock/Metal pickup is......

Chrisjd

• Members

Bareknuckle Painkiller for me. I've tried these

BKP Miracle Man

BKP Warpig

BKP Holy Diver

SD JB Junior

Dimarzio X2N

Dimarzio Air Zone

Dimarzio Paf Pro

Bill Lawrence L500-XL

PRS HFS

EMG 707

But my all round favourite is the Painkiller.

Im quite the fan of my Cold Sweat and Nailbomb as well

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im quite the fan of my Cold Sweat and Nailbomb as well

I've played an 80's RG with a Nailbomb installed in it and it sounded insane. Just the Rg, into a modded SD-1 and then into a JCM800 ZW. It screamed. Been thinking of getting one for the RG I just bought recently but I'm kinda liking the Paf Pro already in there.

Guest Anonymous

Just ordered an L-500R for the neck position on my LP Studio, I have a L-500XL in the bridge which I find ideal for my playing style, it's my favorite rock humbucker.

When I ordered I was originally going to get a second l500xl for the neck, but Becky Lawrence said it would be WAY TOO HOT for the neck. I was glad I took her advice because she was right, the l500xl in the bridge would have been an overkill. The l500r is plenty and anymore output and I think it would be like a dist pedal pickup.

• Members

I was deciding between an EMG 85 and a SD Distortion for my jackson. In the end, I ended up choosing the 85, but I don't regret my decision. Good to know though, the only reason I chose the 85 was because I've never tried it and heard so many things about it as a bridge pup instead of the 81.

Distortion will go in my next guitar, most likely.

• Members

....the Seymour Duncan Distortion, at least from what I have tried..

Let me preface this by saying, I have tried MANY MANY pickups in many guitars. to name a few... Dimarzio Evo, Dimarzio super distortion, all the ibanez v pickups, duncan custom, duncan jb, duncan invader, 59, jazz, duncan blackout, duncan dimebucker, emg 81, emg 85, hz, 707, etc.

I recently pulled out my duncan blackout, and popped back in the distortion set that i bought long ago. this pickup just kills in my mahogony guitar.

Through every amp I own, this pickup sounds flat out better for heavy guitar than all the pickups mentioned above, especially through the cobra. When i say better these are the characteristics I am talking about....

Color of tone

output

equalization:Lows, mids, highs

clarity

pick attack

responsivenes

The tone is very warm and FULL. the body of chords is fat, smooth, yet aggressive and raunchy at the same time. This pickup really breaths. output seems to be at least as much as the emg 81 and 85, it drives the amp pretty hard.

the tone is balanced, with a little more emphasis on the upper mids and highs, which is PERFECT for my band, especially considering we have another guitarist. It is a VERY mid heavy pickup.

This is a very clear pickup, clearer than my blackouts hands down. the pick attack is fantastic and it really reacts well to how hard you play.

All in all, i love the distortion, I dont forsee myself buying an active pickup again.

:thu:I agree. I have about 25 electrics with various pick-ups in them. EMG's, Dimarzios and various Duncans and the Seymour Duncan Distortion sounds the best to me. Thick and punchy yet clear and and aggressive. The Dimarzio Super Distortions sounds good too but too much bass. The Duncan distortion has just enough bass.

• Members

I was deciding between an EMG 85 and a SD Distortion for my jackson. In the end, I ended up choosing the 85, but I don't regret my decision. Good to know though, the only reason I chose the 85 was because I've never tried it and heard so many things about it as a bridge pup instead of the 81.

Distortion will go in my next guitar, most likely.

I just did the same thing with my Ibby, 85:

rg410-03.jpg

• Members

I have an 85 in the bridge of my LP studio and have been thinking it has something in the highs that irks me. I dunno, I am just not real happy about it. I had an 81 in there for a long time and switched em and it improved IMO but just not digging it, or at least in that guitar. I also have to wonder now since reading that one post if it isnt the pots. I have blackouts in a jackson and didnt like them at first but now I love em. I have the livewires in a dv8r and love them too for some great mids. I am actually thinking about just throwing the 490/498t back in that LP and using it for a classic rock sound.

• Members

I got a duncan distortion in my new Gutierrez Buddha. Just got it today but my cameras busted so Ill link the auction. Check the specs. It has an on-board buffer for a slight boost and its hotter than any of my other pickups including EMGs and Miracle Man. I had to really turn down the gain on my practice rig. It plays awesome and feels alive in my hands. Great tones so far, razor sharp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150196781302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

• Members

When I ordered I was originally going to get a second l500xl for the neck, but Becky Lawrence said it would be WAY TOO HOT for the neck. I was glad I took her advice because she was right, the l500xl in the bridge would have been an overkill. The l500r is plenty and anymore output and I think it would be like a dist pedal pickup.

Interesting, I did figure judging by the pickup ratings the L500R would be about right for the neck. I'll probably get the itch eventually to try the L-500R in the bridge position to see how that sounds as well. I also recently changed out the electronics in my LP recently with the RS Guitarworks kit which made both the volume and tone control more useful and added a little more output to the pickups due to the new 500K CTS pots.

• Members
GOD DAMN IT!

So I just put in these motherbuckers, right.

and I soldered them in and it's fine-electronically

BUT I CAN'T GET THE SCREWS TO GO INTO THE DAMN HOLES!

anyone have advice in getting the pickup screwed back into the body?

I solved my own problem :)

Archived