Protest the Hero - Fortress

JoshuaLogan

• Members

it's in Eb standard.

Logan: Luke is the one who uses ibanez now. it's an S470. he used to use an LTD ec-400 but probably is inspired too much by dragonforce so went the ibanez route. the other guitarist, Tim, has switched from an LTD M-series(i think) to an LTD viper. i think he uses a 5150.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it's in Eb standard.

Logan: Luke is the one who uses ibanez now. it's an S470. he used to use an LTD ec-400 but probably is inspired too much by dragonforce so went the ibanez route. the other guitarist, Tim, has switched from an LTD M-series(i think) to an LTD viper. i think he uses a 5150.

tim used to use an mh-1000nt in see through cherry if thats what the finish is called and a 5150II/6505+

other than that you know more than me

• Members
i only wish they carried some of their grooves and hooks longer
:(
there are some SIIIICKKKK catchy parts that last maybe 6 seconds and then never heard from again

I'm thinking the same thing. There are some really killer parts that just flash in and then are gone before you can get into them. I'm digging this disc a lot, but I want a little more groove.

• Members
rewind it! kezia was of the same vain.. a lot of technical parts with melodies in between.

kezia was album of the year for me back in 06 - i think this is album is bloody amazing and is going to be difficult to compete with.

send me the last two tracks over aim, plz? thx. :o

• Members

im starting it now, from the beginning. let you knwo when its over

what'd you think nagger?

after listening to the whole thing, I love it.

BUT the first half of the cd is much better than the second half. but the first half is so utterly badass that that's okay.

• Members
not really..... that's a big exaggeration. sure, they both shred, but they're not that similar....

yeah yeah I know, you don't agree. And I know they are very very much different bands. To my ears though, as in what I feel and what I recognize as a general aesthetic of the album, that's the vibe I feel from it, especially seeing as there are actually a few parts on here that sound similar to stuff from Colors. It's just streamlined, catchy, and not so worried about "prog."

BUT I'M NOT SAYING BTBAM ARE "WORRIED" OR "TRYING TOO HARD" TO BE PROG

:o

• Members
yeah yeah I know, you don't agree. And I know they are very very much different bands. To my ears though, as in what I feel and what I recognize as a general aesthetic of the album, that's the vibe I feel from it, especially seeing as there are actually a few parts on here that sound similar to stuff from Colors. It's just streamlined, catchy, and not so worried about "prog."

BUT I'M NOT SAYING BTBAM ARE "WORRIED" OR "TRYING TOO HARD" TO BE PROG

I just... don't see where it matters. I liked Silent Circus, but so far, Colors does nothing for me. The two new PTH songs, on the other hand, are astounding.

I just don't givea {censored} about prog or lack there of. I like songs when songs are good.

It's not like we're debating if PTH is ripping off BTBAM here. Different bands, different sounds, similar release dates.

• Members
what'd you think nagger?

after listening to the whole thing, I love it.

BUT the first half of the cd is much better than the second half. but the first half is so utterly badass that that's okay.

first half: :love: second half: :bor:

im not blown away like i was by kezia. kezia finished STRONG. "theres merit in construction when its done witht he right hands, there beauty in destruction a resurrection another chance" etc but fortress definitely has its WOW moments and some really solid songs. as has been stated, hopefully theyll learn how to carry a groove soon, cuz they can start one, they just go ADD and move on to a spaz/tech part too fast.

• Members

So, has anyone heard more than those two songs?

Yeah, me, JL, and TJ.

I've listened all the way through once, and I think it's good, but it needs to grow on me. So far, I'm not recalling as many "wow" moments as there were with Kezia, but I HATED Kezia on first listen, I thought it was way spazzy and all over the place. So I'm gonna listen to this album for at least a solid month before I give a true verdict on it :o

And for the record, I don't think they're ripping off BTBAM or anything like that. The reference to Colors was what my first impression of that particular record was: "This is really good, but I bet PTH is gonna do the same techy proggy wonderment in half the time but twice as catchy." I made that remark to tsunamijesus, he agreed, so I'm saying it again here. THATS ALL.

• Members
Yeah, me, JL, and TJ.

I've listened all the way through once, and I think it's good, but it needs to grow on me. So far, I'm not recalling as many "wow" moments as there were with Kezia, but I HATED Kezia on first listen, I thought it was way spazzy and all over the place. So I'm gonna listen to this album for at least a solid month before I give a true verdict on it

And for the record, I don't think they're ripping off BTBAM or anything like that. The reference to Colors was what my first impression of that particular record was: "This is really good, but I bet PTH is gonna do the same techy proggy wonderment in half the time but twice as catchy." I made that remark to tsunamijesus, he agreed, so I'm saying it again here. THATS ALL.

I'm just wondering because I haven't and can't find it anywhere.

• Members

I think it's WAY, WAYYYYYYY better than Kezia.

Send me a message on aim and I'll see if I can help you find a working link.

still kind of a toss up for me - for me every track on kezia was memorable.. there are a few on fortress where i'm just like meh. i am digging rody's vocals more here than on kezia however.

i guess if i'm still listening to this cd during this time in 2010, then it will be better than kezia for me.. i've been listening to it all day.

• Members

Kezia has way too much pop and {censored}ty poppy skate punk influences to it. It comes off really cheesy in a lot of places. I like this new cd a lotttttt more. More mature vocals, a lot more varied vocals, tons and tons of shredding and musical proficiency, and a lot heavier. I just think Fortress is a whole lot more interesting.

I guess if you're more into pop stuff you'd probably like Kezia better, but if you're into prog & tech metal stuff like BTBAM, The Faceless, Necrophagist, etc. you're probably going to like Fortress a whole lot more.

Even Rody said this about it: "This album is nothing to be intellectualized. All talk of wonder, pathos and optimism aside, I feel it

• Members

the only problem i can see with having that much technical playing in your music is that is KILLS your stage presence while you're playing them. easy chords are wicked for rocking out for the crowd way harder :(

case in point = that video ^^^

if they were any more still i think they might turn to stone :idk:

• Members

the only problem i can see with having that much technical playing in your music is that is KILLS your stage presence while you're playing them. easy chords are wicked for rocking out for the crowd way harder
:(

case in point = that video ^^^

if they were any more still i think they might turn to stone
:idk:

So you care more about being able to throw your guitar around on stage than writing good music?

Nice.

I'm glad I don't agree with you HCAF guys about a lot of stuff. heh.

Archived