Protest the Hero - Fortress

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Anyone else excited for this? I really like both of the new songs that are up on youtube. I liked Kezia after it grew on me, but at times it was a bit too poppy for me. From what I've heard of Fortress, they seem to have evolved exactly how I'd hope they would. There's still some poppy parts, but there's a lot more heavy and intricate sections in these songs. Definitely more of a progressive metal feel to them now... Basically there's a lot less of the things I didn't like about Kezia, and a lot more of the things I did like. :)

The vocals are probably still too much for a lot of you here, but they're really varied and seem more matured now, atleast to me... and of course, there's lots and lots of catchy shreddy goodness.

Bloodmeat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQg9RmKBB4

Sequoia Throne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WNrRhmlJ4

The rest of the songs can be previewed on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012KLIRG/ref=sr_f2_album_3?ie=UTF8&child=B0012KNIRO&qid=1200881386&sr=102-3

And here's a review: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=14877&genreid=4

It hasn't leaked yet, and it's officially being released a week from tomorrow (January 29th).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought Kezia was {censored}ing flawless. Sure it could have been "more proggy" or "more metal" but it just rocks balls. It's like if one of those lame screamo bands that play music that's half-ass heavy (cough Chiodos) but not really that heavy at all actually sat around for a year and a half, learned to play metal, then made an awesome album that was still catchy as {censored}.

So, in summation, yes, the new stuff is {censored}ing awesome, but I completely disagree with you saying there's a lot to dislike about Kezia.

:)

• Members

I thought Kezia was {censored}ing flawless. Sure it could have been "more proggy" or "more metal" but it just rocks balls. It's like if one of those lame screamo bands that play music that's half-ass heavy (cough Chiodos) but not really that heavy at all actually sat around for a year and a half, learned to play metal, then made an awesome album that was still catchy as {censored}.

So, in summation, yes, the new stuff is {censored}ing awesome, but I completely disagree with you saying there's a lot to dislike about Kezia.

I never said there was a lot to dislike about Kezia. I like it a lot. BUT I can already tell I'm going to like Fortress even more.

• Members

I never said there was a lot to dislike about Kezia. I like it a lot. BUT I can already tell I'm going to like Fortress even more.

OH. My bad, I misread "Basically there's a lot less of the things I didn't like about Kezia" as "Basically there's a lot of things I didn't like about Kezia" for some odd reason.

But yeah, Fortress is shaping up to be {censored}ing ridiculous, and just as me and Tsunamijesus predicted when Colors came out, its more than likely going to do what that album accomplished in about half the time, twice the catchyness, and with equal wankery.

:cop::D:thu:

• Members

OH. My bad, I misread "Basically there's a lot less of the things I didn't like about Kezia" as "Basically there's a lot of things I didn't like about Kezia" for some odd reason.

But yeah, Fortress is shaping up to be {censored}ing ridiculous, and just as me and Tsunamijesus predicted when Colors came out, its more than likely going to do what that album accomplished in about half the time, twice the catchyness, and with equal wankery.

:cop::D:thu:

lol I like BTBAM more, but Protest has stepped up their game a lot for this album, and I love what I've heard of it so far. They're also more suitable for the mainstream than BTBAM. I don't like the fact that the keyboardist from Dragon Force plays a synth solo on Fortress though... It's probably going to thrust PTH into the spotlight as the next popular thing to like for teh shred0zrz, like Dragon Force has been.... but hey, whatever. Atleast really well written, technical and melodic music is gaining more and more popularity. :)

• Members

lol I like BTBAM more, but Protest has stepped up their game a lot for this album, and I love what I've heard of it so far. They're also more suitable for the mainstream than BTBAM. I don't like the fact that the keyboardist from Dragon Force plays a synth solo on Fortress though... It's probably going to thrust PTH into the spotlight as the next popular thing to like for teh shred0zrz, like Dragon Force has been.... but hey, whatever. Atleast really well written, technical and melodic music is gaining more and more popularity.

When PTH first came on the scene I would describe them to my friends as "if Dragonforce had started as a post-hardcore band and actually wrote good songs" haha

• Members

bloodmeat makes me lose awareness of my surroundings. and as for the inappropriate btbam/pth comparison, chody>>>>>tommy and everything else is about equal, with pth writing riffs that make sense to me so pth>>>>btbam to me, but i can totally understand seeing it the other way.

fortress is gonna own asses. i foresee a (revision) session of epic proportions followed by spinning fortress, devil and god, and catch for us the foxes. who else is in?

• Members

When PTH first came on the scene I would describe them to my friends as "if Dragonforce had started as a post-hardcore band and actually wrote good songs" haha

Your guys scene is behind :cop:

PTH was pretty solid by the time 2003 came around, and had 2 discs out :p

Good old canada

• Members

bloodmeat makes me lose awareness of my surroundings. and as for the inappropriate btbam/pth comparison, chody>>>>>tommy and everything else is about equal, with pth writing riffs that make sense to me so pth>>>>btbam to me, but i can totally understand seeing it the other way.

fortress is gonna own asses. i foresee a smoke session of epic proportions followed by spinning fortress, devil and god, and catch for us the foxes. who else is in?

that sounds like a hell of a great night

• Members

fortress is gonna own asses. i foresee a smoke session of epic proportions followed by spinning fortress, devil and god, and catch for us the foxes. who else is in?

PTH worship BTBAM, for what it's worth...

I'm down for teh smoke sessionz. I wish we all lived in the same city.

• Members

PTH worship BTBAM, for what it's worth...

I'm down for teh smoke sessionz. I wish we all lived in the same city.

yeah me too, we could share the new (revision) me and my friends picked up last night. but i think pth smokes btbam on writing a listenable song. strictly playing-wise, sure btbam might have a slight upper hand but they bring different things to the table

• Members

Rody's vocals seem to be rather progressive and improving. the difference between kezia and calculated use.. is pretty amazing.

Kezia was flawless in my opinion. one of the few albums where i could listen to it for almost 2 years and not get tired of it.

fortress will be leaked tomorrow!!!... hopefully.

• Members

Rody's vocals seem to be rather progressive and improving. the difference between kezia and calculated use.. is pretty amazing.

Kezia was flawless in my opinion. one of the few albums where i could listen to it for almost 2 years and not get tired of it.

fortress will be leaked tomorrow!!!... hopefully.

Both me and PTH themselves can't stand their material before Kezia. They've said that they wish it would disappear, and I can't blame them lol

Archived