Protest the Hero - Fortress

JoshuaLogan

• Members

So you care more about being able to throw your guitar around on stage than writing writing good music?

Nice.

I'm glad I don't agree with you HCAF guys about a lot of stuff. heh.

I didnt say any of that

i said it was the downside to playing really technical stuff

here: i have a present for you

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didnt say any of that

i said it was the downside to playing really technical stuff

here: i have a present for you

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

Who cares about that though? I seriously doubt they do. When you are there and have the means to create an album, to create your art, in anyway that you want to, and really try to create something special, you're going to sit there and think to yourself "oh, gee, I wonder if this will make it too hard for me to jump around on stage"? I mean, seriously. get your priorities straight.

• Members

Who cares about that though? I seriously doubt they do. When you are there and have the means to create an album, to create your art, in anyway that you want to, and really try to create something special, you're going to sit there and wonde "oh, gee, I wonder if this will make it too hard for me to jump around on stage?" I mean, seriously. get your priorities straight.

kinda, yeah i do. i think "will this be boring as hell to watch, will anyone remember the melody, will anyone CARE how fast im playing?" i dont spaz out, but i dont stand there like a statue cuz thats not a show, thats a really loud, poorly mixed cd

• Members

kinda, yeah i do. i think "will this be boring as hell to watch, will anyone remember the melody, will anyone CARE how fast im playing?" i dont spaz out, but i dont stand there like a statue cuz thats not a show, thats a really loud, poorly mixed cd

maybe you'd like acting better than writing music then?

• Members

I guess if you're more into pop stuff you'd probably like Kezia better, but if you're into prog & tech metal stuff like BTBAM, The Faceless, Necrophagist, etc. you're probably going to like Fortress a whole lot more.

You just named my favorite 2 (BTBAM and The Faceless) metal bands period, with Necrophagist still in the top 10 for sure, and so far I still think Kezia is a more solid album. And seriously? The Faceless isn't this technical by a long shot, they definitely have more groovy parts than this album seems to have.

• Members

maybe different types of music communicate different things
:idea:

I don't mean to be an asshole. I just think some of the comments are ridiculous. Music to me is a chance to create something, and that's important to me. It's not a medium for me to jump around on stage to entertain a bunch of 14-17 year olds who are there for the wrong reasons. I don't have anything against showmanship and having fun on stage, but it will never be more important than the music...

• Members

I don't mean to be an asshole. I just think some of the comments are ridiculous. Music to me is a chance to create something, and that's important to me. It's not a medium for me to jump around on stage to entertain a bunch of 14-17 year olds who are there for the wrong reasons. I don't have anything against showmanship and having fun on stage, but it will never be more important than the music...

You're narrowing music down a LOT man. brutal

They're not just sharing what they made. They did that on a CD.

This is PERFORMANCE ART as much as it is music. You're there to see a live show. It's called a show for a reason.

You know why people like going to shows rather than just listening to the disc at home in MUCH more comfortable conditions?

People go to live shows to feel the ENERGY that the performers convey to the crowd

IT IS AN EXPERIENCE. Sight, sound, energy, all mixed together to create a memorable night. It's not that the sound isnt as important...its that the sound is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the other pieces. Otherwise, get a huge stereo and you won't have the need for live shows :)

And that's not even scratching the surface of the whole entertainment/money/etc aspect of things. As soon as you get into shows, it's not just music anymore. Even a symphony is VASTLY different in person than on some home system. The conductor is LARGELY to thank for this.

If you don't understand it, then maybe you just havent reached that point yet. But music isnt just sound man. You're missing the whole spectrum of the art.

• Members

maybe you get more feeling out of technical music than i do. cuz ive been in tech bands and that was cold and boring to play live. my stuff is like 3/4 easy and fun to play but difficult to write/arrange and 1/4 hard to play. thats the ratio i like. cuz you can flex your chops, add flavor, and create dynamics with tech stuff. but sometimes you just gotta dig into some chords and say something you really mean. we're saying different things with our music josh, no one is wrong here.

• Members

You're narrowing music down a LOT man. brutal

They're not just sharing what they made. They did that on a CD.

This is PERFORMANCE ART as much as it is music. You're there to see a live show. It's called a show for a reason.

You know why people like going to shows rather than just listening to the disc at home in MUCH more comfortable conditions?

People go to live shows to feel the ENERGY that the performers convey to the crowd

IT IS AN EXPERIENCE. Sight, sound, energy, all mixed together to create a memorable night. It's not that the sound isnt as important...its that the sound is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the other pieces. Otherwise, get a huge stereo and you won't have the need for live shows
:)

And that's not even scratching the surface of the whole entertainment/money/etc aspect of things. As soon as you get into shows, it's not just music anymore. Even a symphony is VASTLY different in person than on some home system. The conductor is LARGELY to thank for this.

If you don't understand it, then maybe you just havent reached that point yet. But music isnt just sound man. You're missing the whole spectrum of the art.

+however much it takes to express how much i agree with this

• Members

You just named my favorite 2 (BTBAM and The Faceless) metal bands period, with Necrophagist still in the top 10 for sure, and so far I still think Kezia is a more solid album. And seriously? The Faceless isn't this technical by a long shot, they definitely have more groovy parts than this album seems to have.

The Faceless > PTH

Akeldama was just such a brutal, creative, and ridiculously tight tech death album that I cannot stop listening to it.

Fortress SLAYS though I downloaded the leak today and i fully intend to buy it. I never liked Kezia because of all the punk influences but this has eliminated almost everything i disliked about the band and stepped up everything i did like.

• Members

me too. kezia is one of my top 10 albums all time. i like catchy, i guess PTH doesnt anymore...

It's heavier and has a lot more shred, but I think it's still really catchy, man. There are a ton of riffs and vocal hooks on this cd that have been getting stuck in my head... so much so that I'll actually rewind parts just to hear them over again. I've been listening to this cd constantly lately. It's really {censored}ing good. Songs 1-5 are {censored}ing GOOD. I think Bone Marrow and Palms Read are my two favorites, but all of the first 5 songs flat out {censored}ing own. The rest of the songs are pretty good too, but not really on the same level as the first five, in my opinion... first half of the cd is definitely the stronger half.

• Members

Can't get over the vocals.

:(

I dunno, man. Give it some time. I was like that when I first listened to Kezia, but I got used to it.... and I actually really, really like the vocals on the new cd. They are matured and really varied. He's a damn good vocalist and covers a really wide range of styles.

• Members

The Faceless > PTH

Akeldama was just such a brutal, creative, and ridiculously tight tech death album that I cannot stop listening to it.

Fortress SLAYS though I downloaded the leak today and i fully intend to buy it. I never liked Kezia because of all the punk influences but this has eliminated almost everything i disliked about the band and stepped up everything i did like.

no way dude Akeldama is a good album. but guitar wise Luke will destroy both of them

• Members

The Faceless > PTH

I definitely agree about The Faceless being completely sick, and definitely a much heavier band, but PTH is great, and I'm pretty sure all of them except for the drummer could play anything The Faceless have written. I agree with you... I liked Kezia, but there were things that bugged me about it, and they've pretty much elminated them on this new cd and stepped up all the best parts. I'm LOVING this cd. It's really good.

• Members

I dunno about that. They don't shred as often in their songs, but they CAN definitely shred. I wouldn't say either is really better... they're both insanely good.

This is the thing. The guys in the faceless CAN shred but they save it for the right moments and spend the rest of the time killing you with their sick {censored}ing grooves. Plus, in my opinion anyways, the stops/starts and progessiveness of Akeldama is more purposeful than that in PTHs music.

They are both definitely AWESOME bands though.

To throw out another sick band I think Vital Remains is right up there with these bands.

Archived