OT: Why are we fighting a ground war?

rememberduane

• Members

Note: Rememberduane asked in question in his thread title.

Answered it in his first post.

It's basically a set up for HC'ers that he can argue with because he has probably been forced to learn all of this in class.

It's like a kid being forced to box by his father then using in the school yard in sheer frustration.

Don't argue with him. He has 3 chums (already in here) to back him up on everything he says (regardless if they themselves understand it).

Forced to learn? I choose to be here and choose to take the courses I do. This isn't grade school, it's not compulsory. Your example was not analogous.

I didn't answer the question. I laid out my argument. I'm looking for a justifiable counterargument.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That would require UN support for this action, though, which went out the window in 2003 or so.

Well, we didn't have UN support for the invasion, but there's been a lot of talk of UN support for cleaning the place up if we would work with them. Ban Ki-moon is quite keen on it if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

That would make sense except we barely have troops on the ground at all in Afghanistan and Iraq was never a stronghold of violent Islamic fundamentalism. And we're ignoring the strongholds in Pakistan for political expediency with an autocrat military dictator who feigns democracy. Hrm.

Afghanistan is a small sparsely populated country, we are sending more troops there very soon, but there is only so much they could do on the ground. More missiles won't help because 1. They are very expensive 2. They don't distinguish between hostiles and civilians. How many women and children died in that missile strike? At least few I bet. Lastly, concerning dictatorships,the US has a history of looking the other way as long it helps the present goal. US support for Musharraf will be waining soon.

The only job we're doing in Iraq is cleaning up the mess we made. All the while, violent fundamentalist groups are free to do what they please in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I think this CIA action is great, but we need more of them. Lots.

Well its a big mess and we owe it to the Iraqi people to help them.

I think its time for the UN (with a large amount of troops and gear supplied by the US) to take over as a peacekeeping force with a mandate to train troops and rules of engagement that permit firing to protect civilians rather than just fire if fired upon. That would provide a more respected entity in Iraq with a clear mandate, and it would free up some American resources to be spent in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I agree, no country in the UN is going to send a substantial amount of troops to either country because of the unpopularity of the war.

• Members

Read rememberduane's post and check back.

The link is tenuous at best, and I would really like to know where you got your info. Even the Bush administration has been smart enough to acknowledge that the al-qaeda/Iraq link was misinformation.

I am at a crossroads. I can either believe a bunch of heavy metal guitar players who live in the comfy american burbs like me, or I can believe saddam's mistress who {censored}ed him for 30 years.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1031840974453_27250174//

SHE says, the man she {censored}ed for 30 years met with al qaeda.Thats good enough for me!

Dont get me wrong. I opposed the war in Iraq because I knew the american government was going to change Iraqi laws to bring males down and women up.

We should not force our uppity western gender equality values on non western cultures. Thats a whole other debate though.

so anyways, research quotes by his mistress. She makes some really haunting claims of saddams link to terrorism.

• Members

Forced to learn? I choose to be here and choose to take the courses I do. This isn't grade school, it's not compulsory. Your example was not analogous.

I didn't answer the question. I laid out my argument. I'm looking for a justifiable counterargument.

Lol. hahaa...You are so full of it.

You post in the political party, but every so often you bring a controversial subject into the amp forum. Because you are still stinging from the time you were raped/chased from the Amp forum a while back.

You just want to prove all of the people here that were nasty to you that you are supremely intelligent and they were wrong to doubt you.

You probably get up in the morning and say "I'll show them! I'll show them good!"

(tap tap tap...tap..)

• Members

Well its a big mess and we owe it to the Iraqi people to help them.

I agree, no country in the UN is going to send a substantial amount of troops to either country because of the unpopularity of the war.

I think the statement about it being a big mess is exactly how we can sell it. If we say okay, combat operations are over, we're asking for help in peacekeeping and cleaning {censored} up, I think we'll be able to get more support on the ground. It'd also do a lot to regain our favour overseas.

• Members

I am at a crossroads. I can either believe a bunch of heavy metal guitar players who live in the comfy american burbs like me, or I can believe saddam's mistress who {censored}ed him for 30 years.

Dont get me wrong. I opposed the war in Iraq because I knew the american government was going to change Iraqi laws to bring males down and women up.

We should not force our uppity western gender equality values on non western cultures. Thats a whole other debate though.

so anyways, research quotes by his mistress. She makes some really haunting claims of saddams link to terrorism.

Jesus. H. Christ.

Do you really believe that everyone here is an uneducated metalhead? Some of us have just a shade of a college education, and are very interested in global politics more than your average Joe.

• Members
Lol. hahaa...You are so full of it.

You post in the political party, but every so often you bring a controversial subject into the amp forum. Because you are still stinging from the time you were raped/chased from the Amp forum a while back.

You just want to prove all of the people here that were nasty to you that you are supremely intelligent and they were wrong to doubt you.

You probably get up in the morning and say "I'll show them! I'll show them good!"

(tap tap tap...tap..)

I rarely post in the Political Party. I hadn't been on in a couple months a while back, and I started off back in the PP, but didn't like it as much, so now I'm back here until I get bored of it again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think. Good job with the psychoanalysis, Freud. :rolleyes:

• Members
I'm well aware of the particulars of Afghanistan and Pakistan. I wasn't aware that we were sending more troops there -- could you show me where you found that?

There were no reports of civilian casualties. Read the article, please.

Sure, they may be expensive, but how much is an American life worth?

I'm aware of our history, but it still doesn't make it right. The thing is, its not politically expedient in Pakistan any more, and yet we keep it up for that very purpose. Usually the US is quick to ignore our pseudorelationships when it suits us, but for some reason the Bush administration keeps loving the Musharraf. Why?

Please lay out an argument next time rather than trying to educate me with knowledge I could have gotten from the newspaper this morning. I don't mean that to be an ass, but I have a lot of interest in this stuff and I study it academically. I'd love for a bit more in-depth of a conversation.

haha whatever dude. Go talk to one of your professors then. About the troop increase, did you watch the State of the Union address? Go read a transcript or something because apparently I'm not fit to speak to you. :rolleyes:

• Members
I rarely post in the Political Party. I hadn't been on in a couple months a while back, and I started off back in the PP, but didn't like it as much, so now I'm back here until I get bored of it again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think. Good job with the psychoanalysis, Freud.
:rolleyes:

Typical Fyn responses:

#1 - You're just some college student egghead. Your book learning doesn't mean anything to me.

#2 - You totally got pwned that one time (that I can't point to because it doesn't really exist). Now go away or I will pwn you a second time.

#3 - I know you are, but what am I?

• Members
haha whatever dude. Go talk to one of your professors then. About the troop increase, did you watch the State of the Union address? Go read a transcript or something because apparently I'm not fit to speak to you.

Speech /= action. Bush has said a lot, and done a lot less over the past 7 years.

• Members

SHE says, the man she {censored}ed for 30 years met with al qaeda.Thats good enough for me!

No one is disputing that they may have met. What we're saying is that if you know ANYTHING about either one of them, you know they weren't meeting on friendly terms.

I don't play metal, or live in America at the moment. In fact, I'm a student studying specifically modern political, intellectual, and middle eastern/Islamic history.

• Members

haha whatever dude. Go talk to one of your professors then. About the troop increase, did you watch the State of the Union address? Go read a transcript or something because apparently I'm not fit to speak to you.

That's not what I meant at all and I apologize if it came off that way. I meant more along the lines of okay, you seem to know more and are capable of having a good discussion on this, lets skip past the elementary information so we can because we're both capable of doing so. Sorry man.

No, I haven't read the SOTU -- to be honest I'm quite sick of hearing what he has to say and I have other things I need to read right now. I'm actually in the library right this second, squandering good study time on HC. Probably not the wisest thing to skip, but I find what he says rarely, if ever materializes as intended. (Maybe that's a good thing).

:o

• Members

Yeah, that's exactly what I think. Good job with the psychoanalysis, Freud.

Why here? You bareley ever agree with anyone outside the 3 little pigs.

You so often vehemently disagree with people on here, so why come?

Because you got spanked. And you got your ego hurt, and now everyone must change their minds on you.

Who the hell comes to an amp forum for repeated debates?

• Members

Why here? You bareley ever agree with anyone outside the 3 little pigs.

You so often vehemently disagree with people on here, so why come?

Because you got spanked. And you got your ego hurt, and now everyone must change their minds on you.

Who the hell comes to an amp forum for repeated debates?

I think its a fun way to kill time. It keeps me in touch with people who aren't in an academic environment (going to a school in a foreign country pretty much means all your friends go to your uni) and what they think. It can also be really entertaining, like the confessions thread.

Plus, every soooo often, ever so rarely, a thread about amps I dig comes up. Like the Z threads that have cropped up recently.

If I cared what people thought of me, I wouldn't be such an ass to them. Nice try at the psychoanalysis though.

• Members

I think its a fun way to kill time. It keeps me in touch with people who aren't in an academic environment (going to a school in a foreign country pretty much means all your friends go to your uni) and what they think. It can also be really entertaining, like the confessions thread.

Plus, every soooo often, ever so rarely, a thread about amps I dig comes up. Like the Z threads that have cropped up recently.

"Please lay out an argument next time rather than trying to educate me with knowledge I could have gotten from the newspaper this morning. I don't mean that to be an ass, but I have a lot of interest in this stuff and I study it academically. I'd love for a bit more in-depth of a conversation."

How is that having fun?

Your image of yourself "roughing it" it here with the common folk is sickening/patronizing.

You are just here TO GET FRUSTRATION off your chest. Not to have a good time. You are frustrated at your treatment in this forum and you want "small internet persons revenge".

Archived