Why do people thing Jack White is a good player?

smtb987

• Members
Because it's the artsy opinion to have.

I don't think he's a bad songwriter at all, and I think he's got kind of a unique voice. But he's just plain bad at the guitar. His best moments on tape are poopy and live he's worse...just awful. And I don't care how trendy it is to play cheap guitars through old cheap amps...it sounds like crap. I'm no corksniffer by a long shot, but there's a reason why that stuff has been generally considered to be poop.

What do you want him to play like :confused: that's his sound...
I find him a more interesting guitarist than 95% of the guys that mainstream HCAF opinion dictates are good...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What do you want him to play like
:confused:
that's his sound...

I find him a more interesting guitarist than 95% of the guys that mainstream HCAF opinion dictates are good...

I don't want him to play any other way that he does...that's fine. But I don't like it and don't have to. And needless to say I have a pet peeve for out and out trendiness...always have...but I do own White Stripes albums, I don't hate them at all as a band or songwriters...but he's not a good guitar player to me. Believe me most of the guys I do like are hated on here as well.

• Members

I guess if you appreciate the punk-rock aspect of it. I love anything from Between the buried and me to country to Chopin and beyond, and when I have a hankerin' for White Stripes, nothing else will do.

Opinions are like assholes-everyone's stinks but your own!:cop:

• Members

When they were just getting started they did a whole week on Leno or some other late nite talk show. I was like "WTF is this {censored}? Are you joking?" And I was thinking, "Jezz, thats an old plastic piece of {censored} Airline! WTF?" All I could do is shake my head and wonder where the hell music is headed.

Sure, you can argue he bangs groupies and makes a ton of money. I can hear him telling that to his grandchildren..."Well sonny, I started some trendy {censored}, played some {censored} music and banged groupies"...Should be a proud moment.

• Members

Because it's the artsy opinion to have.

I don't think he's a bad songwriter at all, and I think he's got kind of a unique voice. But he's just plain bad at the guitar. His best moments on tape are poopy and live he's worse...just awful. And I don't care how trendy it is to play cheap guitars through old cheap amps...it sounds like crap. I'm no corksniffer by a long shot, but there's a reason why that stuff has been generally considered to be poop.

I have to disagree somewhat. While his work with the White Stripes has been pretty lackluster, the stuff he's done with the Racounteers has been amazingly good. The album sucks and is kinda lifeless, but they are intense live. I caught them on Austin City Limits, and the performance was phenomenal.

• Members
anyone who thinks jack white straight up sucks at guitar is dumb

he is one of the meanest slide players in modern music

obviously most of you haven't listened to enough his music for you to actually know what the {censored} you're talking about

:thu:

• Members

Jack White is a very polarizing guitar player. The tech players hate him and the songwriters love him (not all of course but you get what I mean).

What pisses me off is that while he is not a "great guitar player," he gets {censored}ing PAID for doing what we all wish we could get paid for...playing the guitar and writing music. I'm super jealous of him because of that fact and because I don't think he is any good. I don't even like the music, but that's my personal taste.

I say {censored} him and throw him off a bridge along with that poor excuse for a drummer chick Meg. But that is only MY opinion and many people disagree with me regularly.

Archived