Line 6 M13

JBecker

• Members

so it's basically what i have. two dl4s and an xt live. i like my setup better, it's more versatile with the routing but this looks like a great idea. but i do agree that L6 really needs to make some new {censored}, although the spider valve was a pretty big success IMO

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so it's basically what i have. two dl4s and an xt live. i like my setup better, it's more versatile with the routing but this looks like a great idea. but i do agree that L6 really needs to make some new {censored}, although the spider valve was a pretty big success IMO

They need to upgrade the modelling algorithms...big time. I know some of the Line 6 fanboys over on their forums swear they have been, but I've a/bed it with my XT and I'm telling ya, they haven't. What several others have said about recycling the same {censored} over and over again is true.

They do the modelling thing well, with the exception of some of the newer software still probably better than anybody. I don't see why they don't spend the R&D cash on taking that {censored} over the top. Very frustrating company, that Line 6.

• Members

They need to upgrade the modelling algorithms...big time. I know some of the Line 6 fanboys over on their forums swear they have been, but I've a/bed it with my XT and I'm telling ya, they haven't. What several others have said about recycling the same {censored} over and over again is true.

They do the modelling thing well, with the exception of some of the newer software still probably better than anybody. I don't see why they don't spend the R&D cash on taking that {censored} over the top. Very frustrating company, that Line 6.

What's absurd is how cheap and powerful the hardware has become...

They should be able to run far more sophisticated functions at the same speed (no effective latency) than at any previous time-- and it's not that hard to run out an infinite series (as I'm sure most of these algorithms are) to a few more places since you can hold more data/process more data faster.

• Members

it has effect loop send and returns .. I HOPE those are for routing through your own effects loop so you can run delay, reverb there instead of in the front of your amp ..

but, I have a feeling thats not what they do. .. but they should.

Thinking about it, no. They'll want you to go:

guitar -> M13 input -> M13 effects send -> whatever effects you want to add -> M13 effects return -> M13 ouput -> Amp input.

If you want to put this thing and have some stomp boxes ahead of the amp as well as in the loop, you'll have to do this:

guitar -> M13 input -> M13 effects send -> Amp input -> Amp effects send -> M13 effects return -> M13 output -> Amp effects return.

This is known as the 4 cable method in the Pod X3 Live world, and I can't see why they'd make you do it that way if this thing is nothing but stomp boxes and no amp modeling. But looking at the inputs, and how the X3 Live has to be setup to work with an amp for effects, I can't think of any alternatives. :freak:

EDIT: Yep, this confirms it. Form the M13 FAQ page:

How does Line 6 M13 Stompbox Modeler compare to POD

• Members

No, the X3 Live and the M13 use the new switches. And they are full of failsauce. Literally. They fail, and it's making X3 live owners angry on the forums. The last time I stopped in the Line 6 forums, Line 6 wasn't even acknowledging it was a problem, which was making it worse.

from the M13 "specifications" page:

HARDWARE

• Members
Thinking about it, no. They'll want you to go:

guitar -> M13 input -> M13 effects send -> whatever effects you want to add -> M13 effects return -> M13 ouput -> Amp input.

If you want to put this thing and have some stomp boxes ahead of the amp as well as in the loop, you'll have to do this:

guitar -> M13 input -> M13 effects send -> Amp input -> Amp effects send -> M13 effects return -> M13 output -> Amp effects return.

This is known as the 4 cable method in the Pod X3 Live world, and I can't see why they'd make you do it that way if this thing is nothing but stomp boxes and no amp modeling. But looking at the inputs, and how the X3 Live has to be setup to work with an amp for effects, I can't think of any alternatives.
:freak:

EDIT: Yep, this confirms it. Form the M13 FAQ page:

What's stopping you from going:

Amp FX Send -> M13 input -> M13 output -> Amp FX Return?

• Members
from the M13 "specifications" page:

Yes, and the switches they show on that model are the SAME ones used on the X3 Live, and not the sturdier mechanical switches used on the DL4.

Compare this picture of the Pod X3 Live:
http://www.music-plant.com/T/line6_spider_POD/podx3live_L.jpg

With this picture of the M13:
http://www.line6.com/stompboxmodelers/images/specs01.jpg

They kinda look the same, huh? :wave:

/Former Pod X3 Live owner.

• Members

Too much {censored} going on there, way too many little buttons and switches. I always really want a Line 6 thing, then I get it, and I can't stand it. I must really be gullible when it comes to their marketing. But this I don't want.

Now if they could make a version of the DL-4 that didn't break constantly and had an adjustable output volume trimmer :D

• Members

The thing that sucks major balls about the Nova System is that there's no loop, so you can't do the 4 cable method to put the analog drive in front of your pre, and then the modulation, delay, and reverb in the loop. Makes it completely useless to me.
The M13 has the loop, so 4 cable might work fo this. But if it's more than the X3 Live, forget it.
They also came out with a POD X3 Pro, which is cool. Part of me would love to sell my JSX and get that and a Carvin 100w TS100 tube power amp.

• Members

This thing looks like a piece of junk to me. No digital output, no expression pedal(s) built in, only 28 seconds loop time...

The Boss GT-10 is $500, and it has 40 seconds loop time, USB, two independently programmable signal chains, and everything else from the GT-8.

And it's $500, same price as the X3 Live, despite pretty much being an X3 Live and this M13 put together.

Line6 is always trying to play catch up with the other companies, but their answer is always to just sell something that's more expensive for no apparent reason.

• Members

i do not think the 4 cable method works on the X3. I owned the Boss GT-8 and am familiar with it.

When I bought the X3, I tried the 4 cable and could not get it to work. I opened a ticket with Line6, and had there senior devs reply to me .. They pretty much said the X3 was not designed to do this, and any attempts to get mod/delay effects into my amps effect loop was not gonna happen, 2 cable, 4 cable, 8 cable ..

With this thing it seems they would have attempted to do what Boss did with the 4 cable method, .. the effects send/recieve on the X3 has nothing to do with your amps effect loop, ..

I wonder what its for on this new line6 dodaddy.

Archived