JCM 800 vs Mesa Mark III ?

sheepeH

• Members

mark 3 is more aggressive than teh IV, with teh IV being more smooth in the overdrive, granted they take awhile to tweak, but when you got em in the sweetspot, they're :love:

JCM 800's, it all depends on how the amp is itself. In the 80's, Marshall wasnt so strict on the internal components, so each one is different, find a couple ones and play em. Then base your decision off of that

• Members

are we talking about channel switching diode 800s or single channel 100w 800s?

The Mark is gonna have waaay more gain easily available. I don't know if even a 100w Mark III is gonna have the whump that a 100w 800+4x12 would have, though. Plus if we're talking original amps here the III has an effects loop, and i didn't think an 800 had one back in the day.

Now a Coliseum Mark III... :evil:

• Members

The Mark is gonna have waaay more gain easily available. I don't know if even a 100w Mark III is gonna have the whump that a 100w 800+4x12 would have, though. Plus if we're talking original amps here the III has an effects loop, and i didn't think an 800 had one back in the day.

Now a Coliseum Mark III...
:evil:

single channel ftw

• Members

I like them both together. Great metal tones are to be had. Although the Mesa has a lot of tweakability, I found a great metal tone and stayed on it. The JCM800 s really easy to dial in (treble - 3, bass - 5, mids - 8).

Simultaneously, they sound awesome. I prefer my current setup, but that's my second favorite setup I've had.

• Members

i think it really depends on what sound your going for. Mesa's to my knowledge are a little more brutal in gain, the jcm is a little more toward the hard rock side, but i dont really know much about the mark III, id say the jcm, but then again marshall's construction sucks, those amps are made into the {censored}tiest plywood boxes. ,mesa's construction blows marshalls out of the water. not to mention they are super reliable.

• Members

Now a Coliseum Mark III...
:evil:

I LOVE my MKIII Coliseum :love:

zachs%20boogie.jpg

boogie%20back.jpg

Love my Marshall and other amps too... They're tools that do different things. I am always amazed at people that compare such very different products in the way that the OP did.

6100%20front.jpg

Archived