High output pickups that sound good with mahogany (NOT EMGs)

petejt

• Members

Just today I was considering on getting another electric guitar (and use my current one as backup).

I found an ESP ltd EC-400 going for a decent price. It is 3-piece mahogany with rosewood fretboard. Comes with two EMG-81s.

I don't want EMG-81s, or any for that matter.

What alternative set of pickups would suit a guitar made of mahogany?

In particular, I want a roaring, aggressive, articulate, high-output, warm, thick punchy tone with lots of low-mid girth: for the bridge pickup.

For the neck pickup, I want a glassy, clean, sparkly tone that works exceptionally well for clean tones, but also sounds great for dirty cleans and different gritty lead tones (or smooth).

What would be ideal?

All I know is, is that the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader would NOT suit it well, as I know for a fact they suit guitars made of bright/neutral-sounding wood such as agathis and maple (like my current guitar).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Duncan

Bridge - Full Shred or Custom

Neck - Jazz or 59

Dimarzio

Bridge - Super Distortion or Breed

Neck - PAF Pro or Air Norton

I also like BKPs but they are pretty expensive here in america i dont know what the prices are like there in aussie land.

If you like boutique pick ups. Look into Wolfetone pick ups they are awesome. The Fenris and Legend are both real nice.

If you dont mind actives try the blackouts they are alot thicker than the 81. More like if you were running an 85 in the bridge

• Members

You're describing the Suhr Aldrich pups. They're the most tonefull high output buckers I've come across. A bit too hot for split sounds for me but full on they're incredible! Check 'em out.

• Members

You're describing the Suhr Aldrich pups. They're the most tonefull high output buckers I've come across. A bit too hot for split sounds for me but full on they're incredible! Check 'em out.

Cool. :cool: Sounds interesting.

The key point is that they have to work in mahogany.

The other SD pickups and the DiMarzios seem good too.

• Members

Pete, that's where they excel. Aldrich is a LP dude. I had them in my Anderson Cobra and loved the full on tones, the split sounds where a little too hot. I had to compromise with lower output buckers to get my vintagey split tones. If I wasn't splitting, man they'd be it!

Cool.
:cool:

The key point is that they have to work in
mahogany

• Members

Pete, that's where they excel. Aldrich is a LP dude.

That's wonderful, Denk! :thu:

Although, the fact that they are a bit too hot, is a little worrying. I do really enjoy just rolling back the guitar volume for nice dirty-cleans and slight-crunch bluesy/rock tones. I can do that pretty well with my Invader pickup in my current guitar. If the output of Aldrich's pickup is similar to the Invader, that'd be sweet.

Great too since you said that Aldrich uses those pickups in Les Paul guitars. :)

• Members

my Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade is mahogany and came stock w/ DiMarzio D-Activators. From what your describing, I think these would fit the bill nicely. Seems like an unbeatable combo.

You might also try a DiMarzio X2N or Duncan Full Shred.

Oh, and than theres the new D-Activator X which may work for you as well. I just got a couble, but I'm still bulding the guitar ones going in, and awaiting delivery for the other...so, my personal verdict is still out on those.

I guess just try to stick with pick-ups w/ a bit of a top end boost, and a balanced midrange and bass. Output to taste

• Members

my Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade is mahogany and came stock w/ DiMarzio D-Activators. From what your describing, I think these would fit the bill nicely. Seems like an unbeatable combo.

You might also try a DiMarzio X2N or Duncan Full Shred.

Oh, and than theres the new D-Activator X which may work for you as well. I just got a couble, but I'm still bulding the guitar ones going in, and awaiting delivery for the other...so, my personal verdict is still out on those.

I guess just try to stick with pick-ups w/ a bit of a top end boost, and a balanced midrange and bass. Output to taste

+1 on the D-Activators and Dimarzio X2N:thu:

• Members

I had a SD Full Shred in a mahogony guitar and it sounded incredible...but its not a high out-put PuP. SD Distortion of the new SD Alternative 8. High OP, loads of low and mid-lows, mids that cut thru...

ya the Full shred isnt to hot. Which when coupled with the Mark IV which i believe he uses, will make it nice, tight and articulate. I allwas liked lower output pick ups with high gain amps

• Members

Just today I was considering on getting another electric guitar (and use my current one as backup).

I found an ESP ltd EC-400 going for a decent price. It is 3-piece mahogany with rosewood fretboard. Comes with two EMG-81s.

I don't want EMG-81s, or any for that matter.

What alternative set of pickups would suit a guitar made of mahogany?

In particular, I want a roaring, aggressive, articulate, high-output, warm, thick punchy tone with lots of low-mid girth: for the bridge pickup.

For the neck pickup, I want a glassy, clean, sparkly tone that works exceptionally well for clean tones, but also sounds great for dirty cleans and different gritty lead tones (or smooth).

What would be ideal?

All I know is, is that the Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader would NOT suit it well, as I know for a fact they suit guitars made of bright/neutral-sounding wood such as agathis and maple (like my current guitar).

Disregard any Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz recommendations you may get. I have them in my Gibson SG Standard, and they're not at all what you're looking for.

I plan on trying a DiMarzio Super 3 and Air Norton in the bridge and neck, respectively. The Super 3 is definitely "roaring, aggressive, articulate, high-output, warm," and has a thick, punchy tone with lots of "low-mid girth."

The Air Norton wouldn't be a good choice for what you're looking for, though. I'm getting it mainly for smooth, sustained legatto soloing. In your case, I'd try something like a PAF Pro in the neck, which is what Joe Satriani uses in some of his signature guitars. I believe Vai used to use them in the neck of some of his guitars, too.

So I would recommend a DiMarzio Super 3 and PAF Pro. :thu:

• Members

My Carvin DC727 is all mahogany with a maple top on it.

I had a Duncan Sh-5 in there and it sounded good,

but now I have a BareKnuckle Nailbomb in the Bridge and a BareKnuckle Coldsweat in the Neck and they've brought the guitar to life.

If I could afford them I'd have them in all of my guitars

(yes they are that good).

• Members

Disregard any Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz recommendations you may get. I have them in my Gibson SG Standard, and they're not at all what you're looking for.

You're an idiot though, and more than likely your {censored}ty Peavey's are the reason you don't think the JB is full and articulate. :thu:

Archived