High output pickups that sound good with mahogany (NOT EMGs)

petejt

• Members

Gibson Dirty Fingers are really close to the 500T in regards to output. Personally I love mine, but it depends on taste. Based on what you asked for the DF's are killer, but there are other manufacturers who make some nice stuff as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my combo, in a mahogany-bodied maple-necked explorer style guitar.

GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge, Dream 180 in the neck. I had your exact needs in a pickup combination, and decided on these. Here are the only clips I have, and they're okay but I have been meaning to record better examples since I got new mics in. Expect slop (both in the playing and in the mix), it's just a scratch pad recording after all.

Lead tone
nzrq

Rhythm tone
vavn

• Members
Here's my combo, in a mahogany-bodied maple-necked explorer style guitar.

GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge, Dream 180 in the neck. I had your exact needs in a pickup combination, and decided on these. Here are the only clips I have, and they're okay but I have been meaning to record better examples since I got new mics in. Expect slop (both in the playing and in the mix), it's just a scratch pad recording after all.

Lead tone

nzrq

Rhythm tone

vavn

Thanks for those clips mate. :thu: I'll have to check them out later though (stuck in the office right now).

• Members
ya the Full shred isnt to hot. Which when coupled with the Mark IV which i believe he uses, will make it nice, tight and articulate. I allwas liked lower output pick ups with high gain amps

Yep, I use a Mesa/Boogie MarkIV & an Engl Fireball (simultaneously). Both have incredible amounts of gain.

But yet also, I use my volume control a lot to vary the gain. In fact I turn it right up for solo boosts, and back it off slightly for rhythm tones, which is why I'd like it to be fairly high output.

Although, the KEY factors are tight and articulate, as you described. :thu:

• Members
Have you played the guitar? It helps just a wee bit to know the guitar itself, rather than generalize about woods. Wood comes from trees. Trees grow all over the place and they're all different. I have a mahogany guitar that is VERY bright. Just pointing that out...

I haven't thought of that before. Thanks for bringing that up.

No, I haven't actually played the guitar yet. I won't get to until Thursday at least, and by then it might have been sold :( (hopefully not though).

• Members

Why not? It seemed to work great for me.

I've been told they sound muddy together.

I guess in your case, that particular piece of mahogany sounds fairly bright (going by Herald of Light's advice), so therefore it worked out well.

• Members

In my EC-1000, I have a Dimarzio Megadrive in the bridge and Humbucker from Hell in the neck. I don't think you'll find a better combo. Both pickups sound AMAZING and offer extreme versatility. Check the clips in the link in my sig to hear it. Most are the bridge, but the "waves" clip is with both humbuckers on. I'll do a clean clip for you as soon as I can. The Humbucker from Hell is absolutely amazing clean. The closest you'll get to a single coil sound in a humbucker.

• Members

Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge and Duncan Jazz in the neck. I normally dislike the Evo, but I just put one in the bridge of my mahogany super strat, and I'm in love with it again after contemplating feeding it to a wood chipper because it sounded flubby and undefined. It sounds KILLER with the Mark IV. And the Jazz would be a great neck pickup for what you seem to be after.

• Members

I think I'll definitely go for the SD Jazz, going by all your reccomendations.

In fact (as I said already), I already have a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz, but I wasn't sure that it would work well with mahogany. It seems though that it will :) .

The bridge pickup on the other hand, man there seems to be heaps of options that are all excellent. It's a bit mind-boggling, but I am truly grateful for all of the suggestions being put forward, plus the example sound clips. Thanks guys! :thu:

In a few days I'll be back home (and no internet blocking) so I can check out the clips to my heart's content!

Archived