Just got back from the EGNATER Amp Seminar!!!

turtletheyertle

• Members

Didn't hear anything about twisting vs. non twisting, although id imaging that the only reason for twisting would be neatness. The seminar is around 1600 and yes plus travel and lodging, but the information learned is priceless and the amp itself is about 1100$ worth of components. A hand wired head like that could easily go for over 2 grand from a small company.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

good question.

I forget why they aren't twisted in the seminar amp.

I'm sure Bruce knows the reason. I forget.

Does it supposedly add noise (not twisted.) since it's an AC line?

Yeah, it supposedly introduces hum.. if those lines pass by any of the signal lines or something. Its one of those things old marshall guys are generally anal about that was why I though I would ask.

• Members

I am looking at doing this seminar as well. I have some friends that live in Michigan. Need to find out how close they are. $1600 doesn't seem overpriced, that's for sure. The amps sound amazing from the youtube videos I've seen. And again, it will be nice to get some fundamental knowledge on how amps work.

Has anyone tackled any other builds since going to Bruce's thing?

• Members
YES! and YES!

I've considered doing away with the cathode follower in one of mine and putting a 4th gain stage in there.
:thu:

do you have any schematic for adding gain? or perhaps tell me what values to change?

without adding any more preamp tubes?

could you please send me if you have it ?

• Members
do you have any schematic for adding gain? or perhaps tell me what values to change?

without adding any more preamp tubes?

could you please send me if you have it ?

like I said, you can get one more gain stage out of the 2 tubes, but you'll no longer have the cathode follower. Bruce said this won't hurt anything, but he doesn't know if it would sound good or not.

He just kinda penciled some stuff into my schem on the fly.

I would have to call him to get some more specific values and stuff.

So, I can't really help right now without doing some more research myself.:thu:

Archived