Youtube Amp Demos: WTF

Angry Grimace

• Members

MY EARS!!!!! My god, the original video guy needs to spend more time practicing and getting an ear for tone than talking about his gear and showing his dog. I can play MOP with mids and make it sound better than that {censored}!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hereya go....everyone wants more mids and no 2nd eq.....let the flamewar begin! No matter what I'd do you'd save face and say it sounds like crap.

Wow....what mic is that again? Is it the computer mic? That quite possibly could be what is so unbelievably bad. You are using a real LP or a copy? Also, you are using EMG's right? I also think that your room is just super reflective which isn't helping anything at all. If you could do this in a bigger room it might help.

I honestly think the original youtube vid sounded better. I say just set the amp up the way you think it sounds best and screw what everyone else says. That's what Metallica did anyway right?

• Members

Hereya go....everyone wants more mids and no 2nd eq.....let the flamewar begin! No matter what I'd do you'd save face and say it sounds like crap.

I wouldn't say it sounds like crap unless I felt that way...and if this clip was a turnaround I'd say so...so don't think that.

That said...this clip also sounds reasonably awful. The first clip was worse because there were no mids to speak of (sorry man...facts are facts and you ducked out every valid guitar related frequency with that 2nd EQ and it was obvious) and of course it wasn't miked well. For this clip, I'm also guessing it wasn't miced well (but could have very well sounded good if it were).

What are you using to mic this thing? Sometimes we all need help. I've done a fair amount of work in studios, but upon receiving my new amp I needed to turn to another member (Insurrection...thanks by the way) for some help on making it sound decent with my Shure 57. Insurrection has probably been playing for decades less than I. It doesn't matter. Sometimes its better to not be stubborn and listen to criticism...ask for help...and take action. You are on a decent message board for receiving that help, though I don't blame you for being pissed. So tell us exactly what equipment you are using currently and I guarantee you will get help here. For starters I can tell you that unless something is seriously wrong with that Mark IIc+...that 750 slider DOES have more than enough mid cut. And I can also tell you that your mic probably sucks, or that you're running your mic incorrectly into your input causing it to distort...or a combination of both.

The soundguy who ran sound at my first professional gig (over 20 years ago now...{censored}ing depressing) outwardly mocked me when he heard my rig (a Rockman through a Crate amp...I {censored} you not). I was devasted...it was the last thing I needed. He returned with a borrowed Marshall and 4x12 and saved my ass. He's still my regular soundguy, and now we talk about it and laugh. Someday soon you may do the same...it's happened to most everyone on this board. At least you got {censored}ed with by total strangers whom you will never meet, instead of the most respected sound engineer in the area...to your face. In addition, you have a great amp to build off of and not total {censored}.

Look at the bright side...you CAN play the guitar, which is more than others that have taken a {censored} in this thread. Use this {censored} as fuel to improve.

• Members

I wouldn't say it sounds like crap unless I felt that way...and if this clip was a turnaround I'd say so...so don't think that.

That said...this clip also sounds reasonably awful. The first clip was worse because there were no mids to speak of (sorry man...facts are facts and you ducked out every valid guitar related frequency with that 2nd EQ and it was obvious) and of course it wasn't miked well. For this clip, I'm also guessing it wasn't miced well (but could have very well sounded good if it were).

What are you using to mic this thing? Sometimes we all need help. I've done a fair amount of work in studios, but upon receiving my new amp I needed to turn to another member (Insurrection...thanks by the way) for some help on making it sound decent with my Shure 57. Insurrection has probably been playing for decades less than I. It doesn't matter. Sometimes its better to not be stubborn and listen to criticism...ask for help...and take action. You are on a decent message board for receiving that help, though I don't blame you for being pissed. So tell us exactly what equipment you are using currently and I guarantee you will get help here. For starters I can tell you that unless something is seriously wrong with that Mark IIc+...that 750 slider DOES have more than enough mid cut. And I can also tell you that your mic probably sucks, or that you're running your mic incorrectly into your input causing it to distort...or a combination of both.

The soundguy who ran sound at my first professional gig (over 20 years ago now...{censored}ing depressing) outwardly mocked me when he heard my rig (a Rockman through a Crate amp...I {censored} you not). I was devasted...it was the last thing I needed. He returned with a borrowed Marshall and 4x12 and saved my ass. He's still my regular soundguy, and now we talk about it and laugh. Someday soon you may do the same...it's happened to most everyone on this board. At least you got {censored}ed with by total strangers whom you will never meet, instead of the most respected sound engineer in the area...to your face. In addition, you have a great amp to build off of and not total {censored}.

Look at the bright side...you CAN play the guitar, which is more than others that have taken a {censored} in this thread. Use this {censored} as fuel to improve.

Go to bed...J/K. Good advice from someone that has been around a bit and has seen a thing or two.

• Members

ahh, leave the dude alone, he is happy. if i could afford that gear i'd buy it - well, maybe not that, but i wouldn't mind having that much to spend on gear.

you don't need to be a pro to have pro gear. let him enjoy his br00talz!
:thu::)

Im not getting at him personally, hes a nice guy and all, but its just when someone argues with me about a certain amp/cab/pickup not being tight or having no definition, its important to remember that not everyone on here is Paul Gilbert, even though we have a few.

James

• Members

Oh my, there are so many things wrong with BOTH your clips. The first one was pure ass, plain and simple. Why would you want to double cut the mids? I don't get it. Do you know what frequency range your guitar lives in? But anyway, that is my gripe with your first one. The second clip was worse for a different reason. YOU are the one who is putting out the clips, YOU are the one who is opening yourself up for criticism. I am going to rip the {censored} out of you because you suck, not because I want to feel better about myself. When you said that comment, I wanted to rip you even more. Then you blame the mic for your tone. Well, if you KNOW that your tone sounds bad with your Walmart mic, either get a better mic before you make the video, or don't make it at all. You are such a {censored}! Next.

• Members

I don't get it?????????????????:rolleyes::blah::blah::blah::rolleyes:

but I'm not using the 7th string at all for that (or my Mark IV for that matter... it's just a PODxt
:p
). All the Solecism stuff was recorded with my Ibanez 7 string through a T-verb.

• Members

Here's most. Click 'free' button on lower right.

http://rapidshare.com/files/116610061/settings.zip.html

But oh wait, it might make you sound like mine, crap, remember? hahaah That's the point of youtube, non professional non mixed samples of stuff that you use a little imagination and get the basic of jist of what it would sound like in person. Any band live sounds worse than a recording, this is kinda the same concept. I'm not justifying anymore, the close-minded will hafta suffer through life.

Really though, thanks to all for your suggestions though. If I want to make an OFFICIAL primo tone example and not amateur, I will take that into consideration. Thank you all! :)

• Members

This is to the guy everyone is bashing for double scooping,anyway dont ever let anyone dictate what sounds good,if you like it dont trip on it and secondly it sounded pretty close to the mop tone to me.Some people here will say alot of things on the net that they wouldnt have the guts to say to your face,they believe there is only 1 way to do something,thier way.Dont let it bring ya down man!

• Members

He tries to trick you by playing about 5 cowboy chords on the clean channel and busts out with 5 minutes telling you the number of tubes, etc.

Holy {censored}, it has hate tubes. Must do metal well.

• Members

Here's most. Click 'free' button on lower right.

http://rapidshare.com/files/116610061/settings.zip.html

But oh wait, it might make you sound like mine, crap, remember? hahaah That's the point of youtube, non professional non mixed samples of stuff that you use a little imagination and get the basic of jist of what it would sound like in person. Any band live sounds worse than a recording, this is kinda the same concept. I'm not justifying anymore, the close-minded will hafta suffer through life.

Really though, thanks to all for your suggestions though. If I want to make an OFFICIAL primo tone example and not amateur, I will take that into consideration. Thank you all!
:)

Dude, it's not the {censored}ty tone that bugs me. I cannot speak for the rest of the group, it's your fugging attitude. What is the point of having to comment that the ONLY reason someone would bash you is to make themselves feel better. You have to keep in mind that when you post your stuff, you open yourself up to criticism. If you cannot handle it, then don't post. Simple as that. If you were to come in here and post a clip, ask for some guidance on how you can get a better tone, or ask people what settings would sound best, you would have gotten a much different response. But your continuous crying has really opened yourself up to criticism. Here is a clip from my Italian pal Steve. He uses the mic on his camera to capture his tone. No special mics, cabs are not miced, he just used the stupid camera mic. How does his tone compare to yours? Granted unless you speak italian, you will not know what he is saying, but you can hear his tone just fine.

Archived