Youtube Amp Demos: WTF

Angry Grimace

• Members

The demos where the person talks more than plays are the worst. I don't have the patience to listen to some dude talk about the history of his rig for ten minutes before he even plays.

[YOUTUBE]uP6MZp03svY[/YOUTUBE]

He tries to trick you by playing about 5 cowboy chords on the clean channel and busts out with 5 minutes telling you the number of tubes, etc.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

but I'm not using the 7th string at all for that (or my Mark IV for that matter... it's just a PODxt
:p
). All the Solecism stuff was recorded with my Ibanez 7 string through a T-verb.

I was curious cause i wanted to hear the blaze pick up in action since you got me into gasing for one lol

• Members

I was curious cause i wanted to hear the blaze pick up in action since you got me into gasing for one lol

The Ibanez I was referring to has the Blaze pickup. It's the same one as in the video.

EDIT: actually I think I'm using the neck pickup in that video. But pretty much all of the Solecism stuff is using the Blaze.

• Members

The Ibanez I was referring to has the Blaze pickup. It's the same one as in the video.

EDIT: actually I think I'm using the neck pickup in that video. But pretty much all of the Solecism stuff is using the Blaze.

yeah I heard it :) sounds great. I was just re-explaining myself why I asked about the pick up lol

• Members

How could that guy make that Mesa sound so bad? The treble caused my skull to split in two...Some people can make even the best gear sound horrible.

He thinks it sounds like Metallica. I think he forgot there's like 8 layers of guitars and a bass guitar on the original track tho

• Members

He tries to trick you by playing about 5 cowboy chords on the clean channel and busts out with 5 minutes telling you the number of tubes, etc.

Yeah I hate that {censored}!

The specs are available on the net.

Just show me how the amp sounds!!!

• Members

When he started playing the main riff in Battery, I died a little inside. He took an incredibly badass riff, and reduced it to a muddy mess. :mad: I'm not saying he has to crank teh mids to eleven, but he has to add enough that it sounds crisp. He also doesn't need nearly that much gain for Metallica. I always start out with an abundance of gain, and keep lowering it until it's just enough. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I actually messaged this guy and said it sounded like thin crap. He said he only had 2 days on a borrowed camcorder and in person it is much fuller and rich....he thinks he might have had the amp up too loudly so it was distorting and coming across staticy, and that after capturing it into computer it was always too trebly or bassy and didn't have time to mess with it, that the whole point was to give you a jist of the general sound. He has another video on there that you can tell is more towards a midrangy sound.

• Members

I actually messaged this guy and said it sounded like thin crap. He said he only had 2 days on a borrowed camcorder and in person it is much fuller and rich....he thinks he might have had the amp up too loudly so it was distorting and coming across staticy, and that after capturing it into computer it was always too trebly or bassy and didn't have time to mess with it, that the whole point was to give you a jist of the general sound. He has another video on there that you can tell is more towards a midrangy sound.

The general sound is bad though.

• Members

You tube is a godsend, it reminds us all not to take advice from everyone we meet on these boards. This dude comes to mind, hes a nice dude and knows the technical side, but when i argue with someone about tone and whats works well, and i find out they play like this, i feel vindicated pretty quickly. There are a lot of lawyers, dentists and other highly paid proffessionals on youtube playing incredible gear that couldnt riff their way out of a guitar hero contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEoFGxAohQ

James

• Members

wow...that's golden...never seen that one before.

I didn't really believe you when you said that he was going to scoop the mids all the way not only on the Mesa EQ...but an additional one...but sure enough that 2nd EQ has pretty much every valid guitar frequency all the way down.

And please...don't tell me about bad YouTube video mics or whatever...that just straight up sounds like utter dog{censored} no matter how you slice it. Put me in a room with that guy, it's still going to sound like {censored}. As a matter of fact, I'd lay odds that it sounds better in that video than it would if you were there.

A complete classic. "For some reason or another, this mid scoop 750 knob doesn't quite cut out enough mids". Wow...

• Members

i like a bit of information about what is being reviewed, not just the sound of it. opinions, etc, positives, negatives. just hearing an amp is ok, but i want to know what it is like to live with and i can expect from it reliability wise.

• Members

You tube is a godsend, it reminds us all not to take advice from everyone we meet on these boards. This dude comes to mind, hes a nice dude and knows the technical side, but when i argue with someone about tone and whats works well, and i find out they play like this, i feel vindicated pretty quickly. There are a lot of lawyers, dentists and other highly paid proffessionals on youtube playing incredible gear that couldnt riff their way out of a guitar hero contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEoFGxAohQ

James

ahh, leave the dude alone, he is happy. if i could afford that gear i'd buy it - well, maybe not that, but i wouldn't mind having that much to spend on gear.

you don't need to be a pro to have pro gear. let him enjoy his br00talz!:thu::)

• Members

James

Atleast he wasn't playing smoke on the water....

Eh, if you can afford nice gear, you should be able to afford some lessons, and from some of the videos posted, it sound like some of these guys just try to play along to songs, and never really learn the basics.

To the ones who act like they're the best thing to happen to the guitar world, they can go screw off, but some of these guys just seem like they want to share their amps, not their chops.

Archived