So how do you tell someone that their tone is horrible???

SweetTone4ever

• Members

So there is guy that plays at this one venue I do and dudes tone is horrible...

For instance after his gig I was so impressed about how bad his tone was I went and checked out this guys settings...

Low end Jackson-->Boss GT8--->JCM2000 DSL100---->Crate 4x12 loaded with who knows...

His amp setting were what blew me away!

Gain:10 Bass:10 Mids:10 Treb:10 Pres:10 Mstr:3 *NO JOKE!!!*

What would you do??? I Feel like DUDE :poke:

• Members

I usually wince whenever I hear really bad tone. If its not my band, I don't usually talk to them about it ( I laugh about to any of my guitarist friends if they are there ), but if its a friend I give him the "Tone Talk".

• Members

unfortunately, unless you know the guy very well, anything you say is just gonna, more than likely, piss him off. most people just have an ego about them and would be offended, unless of course he was a really humble guy.

• Members

i have the same situation with my cousin the tone he dials in is all scratchy and what not. he has no low end to speak of and i have no clue where he has his mids.

he also uses a crate SS half stack and a metal zone and has played longer than me. he's a good guitarist but can't get a decent tone with his current gear.

• Members

I would grab his guitar and plug in and tell him to go stand out in the audience and let him hear for himself his wall of {censored} tone. If it were me, I would want to know if my tone was the sux.

• Members

I don't. What the {censored} is the harm of letting some dude think he's got it all wrapped up? In addition, who am I to say I'm the harbinger of what is superior in the world of tone?

Some dude with {censored}ty tone=just another dude I don't have to worry about. Sorry, but to a degree it is a competition out there for playing time...and if some band sounds {censored}ty...more for me. I just let them sit there in their own little twisted reality. Half of them in my area play through expensive rigs...so nothing I say is going to matter anyway. After all, they paid boutique prices for their {censored}...it MUST be good...right?

The dude in your example sounds like he heard the ole "turn every Marshall's knob up to 10 to get the tone" thing to heart, not realizing that it works a lot better on a Plexi than a 2000.

If it's a dude in my band or someone I'm planning on asking to join...different story. We get that understanding worked out before we ever hit the rehearsal stage.

• Members

{censored} it. He'll learn the hard way sooner or later

+1. Unless you're in a band with someone, it's their problem, not yours. You just have to suffer through it (or leave).

However, if you really feel obligated to do something, you could always say something like "you know it was kind of hard to hear you in the mix; I've found that if I turn the mids up and :blah:" and if he's willing to listen, then see if he'll let you {censored} with his settings and try to get some good tone out of it. I wouldn't have my hopes up though. He's probably happy with his tone - but if he isn't, and especially if he's a new player, he might be interested in hearing suggestions.

• Members
+1. Unless you're in a band with someone, it's their problem, not yours. You just have to suffer through it (or leave).

However, if you really feel obligated to do something, you could always say something like "you know it was kind of hard to hear you in the mix; I've found that if I turn the mids up and :blah:" and if he's willing to listen, then see if he'll let you {censored} with his settings and try to get some good tone out of it. I wouldn't have my hopes up though. He's probably happy with his tone - but if he isn't, and especially if he's a new player, he might be interested in hearing suggestions.

Good point that I should've added in my post. If the dude is in YOUR band, then say something but if he's not, {censored} it.

I'd ask him where he learnt to set up his EQ that way just for {censored}s and giggles though :thu:

• Members

HA! Yeah right!!! We ARE talking about GUITAR PLAYERS here...

The chances are about .0000000000000001% that whoever the dude is...he's willing to listen or is interested in hearing suggestions.

• Members

HA! Yeah right!!! We ARE talking about GUITAR PLAYERS here...

The chances are about .0000000000000001% that whoever the dude is...he's willing to listen or is interested in hearing suggestions.

Hence my "don't have your hopes up" caveat.

• Members

when i wasin high school 5 years ago....one guys tone was so bad...i went up and tweaked his knobs while he was playing then left quickly....didnt do any good though.....

don't worry though...he deserved it. kid wore flame shoes....nuff said

• Members

Hence my "don't have your hopes up" caveat.

Sometimes unless I'm sure I'm hearing 100% stage volume, I don't even come to the conclusion that the guy's tone sucks. I've heard gigs where I thought the tone was pure {censored} then went to the after-party and listened to the board tape and thought it sounded like god. Some rooms suck, some soundguy's suck.

• Members

Sometimes unless I'm sure I'm hearing 100% stage volume, I don't even come to the conclusion that the guy's tone sucks. I've heard gigs where I thought the tone was pure {censored} then went to the after-party and listened to the board tape and thought it sounded like god. Some rooms suck, some soundguy's suck.

troof. One of the reasons why clips can be so misleading (in either direction).

• Members

Before a show I was fooling around on my friend's amp using different guitars, I tried scooping the mids just to hear how it sounded and forgot to change it back for the day. So we get onstage that night and start our set, his mids are still at 1 and he never noticed through the whole gig. The monitors and overall sound of the place was complete {censored} regardless, but adding to that he never looked at his amp to see if something was {censored}ed up

Kevin Talley (drummer of daath, ex-dying fetus) goes up to him and checks out the rig, he sees the Mids and tells him it was kinda hard to hear his guitar out there.... I got an earful afterwards, but it was worth it.

• Members

I usually wince whenever I hear really bad tone. If its not my band, I don't usually talk to them about it ( I laugh about to any of my guitarist friends if they are there ), but if its a friend I give him the "Tone Talk".

+1

i was gonna try that on some flatheaded clodhopper (abercrombie douche) at my work who damn near bathes in cologne. But then i chose just to let him be an idiot, and apply cologne the right way myself.

• Members
Kevin Talley (drummer of daath, ex-dying fetus) goes up to him and checks out the rig, he sees the Mids and tells him it was kinda hard to hear his guitar out there.... I got an earful afterwards, but it was worth it.

Kevin Talley is the man! Cool guy. I met him when he was filling in on drums for Hate Eternal. Just thought I'd mention.

Too bad Daath is not such a good band :( but whatever, he's still a badass.

• Members

Honestly yes, there are opinions... but you can't deny bad sound... I'll accept different approaches/tastes/outlooks and somehow I knew someone would try use the that card... When a guitar players tone hurts the ears...

COME ON!!! AM I THAT DUMB!!! i.e. I don't like ska music, but I can still listen to it with out my ears bleeding... well maybe... ;)

Archived