Alright, guys: Hot or Not?

Angry Grimace

• Members

Marshall_JTM45-2.jpg

Marshall JTM45 Offset RI

This is a Reissue Marshall JTM45 Offset Head & 4x12 Offset Cabinet Limited Edition, one of a limited edition run of only 300 units (serial #181). The original offset JTM45 Halfstack was built in 1962 and is extremely rare as only a handful were ever made. To ensure the authenticity of the unique product they have painstakingly recreated every single aspect and specification of both the head and cabinet. To this end the amplifier circuit is hand-wired on a hand-built tagboard and the chassis is constructed from aluminum, and features KT66 tubes set , 4x12 semi open cab features 12" Celestion Alnico speakers. Leather binding is clean. As a direct result of their diligence and attention to detail, this stunning reissue looks and sounds exactly like the much sought after original.

The offset JTM45 half stack consists of the offset-chassis JTM45 head and 4"x12" offset speaker cabinet with a semi-open back design. Authentic handwired tag board circuitry and KT66 power tubes are housed in an aluminum chassis, true to the original, which was built in 1962. Every effort has been made to preserve the pristine sound and aesthetics of these amplifiers, right down to the 12" Celestion Alnico speakers and the extremely rare rectangular metal, red block lettered Marshall "coffin" shaped logo. The JTM45 also features the same black vinyl covering, white/gray grille cloth and white front panel as the original.

In 1962, three extremely rare offset chassis JTM45 heads were built, complete with matching offset 4x12 cabinets. To celebrate the new millennium, Marshall has painstakingly recreated this eye-catching set-up, from the hand wired, tag board circuit housed in an aluminum chassis all the way through to the original Silver Celestion Alnico speakers. Only 300 of these all tube (3xECC83's, 1xGZ34, 2xKT66's) half stacks were made. The limited run for the U.S. market included a hand-numbered certificate of authenticity and a handbook in a plush leather folder.

This was the very first Marshall amp. It was built from 1962 up to 1966. It didn't actually have a model number at first, but later it was called a JTM45. The circuit was a 1959 Fender Tweed Bassman (circuit 5F6-A) clone. It is said that the first prototype and early production amps were fitted with two 5881 beam power tetrodes, three ECC83's and a GZ34 rectifier tube, but soon KT66 tubes were used instead of the 5881's. These amps are loaded with KT66s.

The Fender Bassman used a 12AY7 as the input tube but the JTM45 was fitted with a 12AX7/ECC83 which has a higher gain. The mix resistors (which mix together both channels after the first triode sections) were originally 270k? on the early models. Sometime (late) in 1966 these mix resistors were raised in value to 470k?. These amps had 2 channels with each a volume control and two inputs (making a total of four inputs). Next came the low, mid, high & presence controls. There was also a power switch and a standby switch with a power indicator. The first JTM45 amps had no model number printed on them. Later (probably in 1963) aluminium panels were used having JTM 45 and MK II printed on them (implying the first serie of amps were the MK I's).

I haven't seen the price on these anywhere, but they have one at my local Guitar Center and I think I remember that it's like $5,000.00 :eek: (stolen off my GJ thread)

• Members

haha i played the exact one youre talking about in gc

its really nothing special, certainly not worth the 5g price tag

and if i remember correctly, thats WITHOUT the cab

Yes, that's correct. Occassionally, though, that GC has good deals. They have a vintage modern for 950 right now, and they had a handwired 2061HW for like 1100 the other week.

• Members

Yes, that's correct. Occassionally, though, that GC has good deals. They have a vintage modern for 950 right now, and they had a handwired 2061HW for like 1100 the other week.

yeah, its the 50watt vintage modern as well (which i like wayyy more, not that i would buy it either way)

did you see the '64 super reverb they have there thats in absolute awful condition? they want $3500 for it

they want $1500 for their blackface bassman too

$1800 for a jmp combo

i could go on

• Members

yeah, its the 50watt vintage modern as well (which i like wayyy more, not that i would buy it either way)

did you see the '64 super reverb they have there thats in absolute awful condition? they want $3500 for it

they want $1500 for their blackface bassman too

$1800 for a jmp combo

i could go on

No doubt. Vintage gear is a no-no at GC; you will only get good deals on new stuff, and even then only new stuff that's not selling.

Archived