Agile Intrepid Pro 8

Polaris20

• Members

...what does one play on an 8 string guitar?

Meshuggah, mostly.

I think the ability to have the full range of a standard-tuned guitar and bass- just drop that low F# to E- in one instrument is pretty cool, but I haven't heard anyone do anything with an 8 outside of the metal genre. Bulb does some really cool stuff with the 8 that's more than just chunk 'n' shredding, but it's still fundamentally Meshuggah-influenced metal at its core.

• Members

F#BEADGBE, low to high. I've heard talk of guys stringing them with a high A rather than a low F# as well.

Yeah if it were me, I'd like an 8-string that's tuned BEADGBEA, so I have more high end range too; at this point you'd need either multiscale or a special string for the high A. But it would be cool.

The low F# would be fun too though, especially for $650.

• Members

That doesn't help me at all.....

...what does one play on an 8 string guitar? extended scales?

I've never even touched a 7 string....
:freak:

Most people hear 7 string and automatically think of KoRn.:freak:

In simple terms, a 7 or 8 string guitar allows you to do more and be more creative. That is the main reason I use 7 string guitars. Not only can I use the original 6 strings that everyone is accustomed to, but I can also do more.

You can also do alternate tunings, and it takes away the time of constantly tuning a 6 string to different tunings. I can take a my 7 string, throw a capo on one of the frets, and I'll essentially have a detuned 6 string.

I don't have to own 5, 6, or 7 guitars since I can do everything with one. That equals more money in my pocket.

• Members

I never really got the aversion to 8s. "What would you do with one?" Nobody asks a pianist what they're doing with all those keys, or what a harp is doing. It's kinda weird, really "7 or 8 is too many for me." How odd. Why isn't 6 too many? Bassists get by on 4, why can't you? You're never going to "master" a 6 string, so why not go ahead and jump up to 7 or 8 or 9?

I'd love to get an 8 in the next year or so.

• Members

Looks pretty cool.

As a bassist I'm not a big fan of low F# on guitar. It's a pretty big hassle stringing a bass with a low F# and having it intonate/amplify in a good way. You could play unison with the guitar but that may sound a little weird if you primarily are playing an octave down.

• Members

I think the ability to have the full range of a standard-tuned guitar and bass- just drop that low F# to E- in one instrument is pretty cool, but I haven't heard anyone do anything with an 8 outside of the metal genre.

stop by NAMM, there are tuns of people who use 8+ strings for stuff other than metal.

I talked myself into a 7 recently, but 8 is a little much.

Agile still manages to deliver though. That price on an 8 with an EMG is rediculous

Archived