Anyone here actually read Slash's Autobiography?

Angry Grimace

• Members

It's some weird, but entertaining stuff.

Haven't gotten all the through it but there are some defeinte comic highlights in there, such as:

*Dude from WASP telling Duff that "Niggers shouldn't play guitar," at which point Slash threatens to beat him up

*Slash having a serious problem with kleptomania: he would have loved downloading; he says he would start by stealing the live albums, and then if he liked it, he would then steal the rest of said band's catalog

*Slash having serious discussions to join Megadeth; what it was like to smoke crack with Dave Mustaine

*Slash and Izzy double-teaming a girl and Izzy accidentally gives Slash a money shot

*Slash's pre GNR band plays a Bar Mitzvah and completely trashes an old granny's house, steals all their liquor and vomits in curious places

There's a lot of info about how and when they wrote some of those great songs too. These guys sound like they were too scary for even me to hang out with, and I've woken up with a pounding headache in places I've never been before many a time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

He also owned a mountain lion.

He seems very kid-glove about what a douchewad Axl is though; I think he's trying to keep the peace.

I haven't read it but from his interviews, it sounded like he was trying not to burn the Axl bridge JIC of a possible GnR reunion. At least thats the vibe I got.

• Members

I haven't read it but from his interviews, it sounded like he was trying not to burn the Axl bridge JIC of a possible GnR reunion. At least thats the vibe I got.

I heard an interview he did to support the book on Jim Rome; he basically said "Axl is who he is. He still shows up late." He basically said that it started to really get hard to show up to play a show, and have to sit there for 2 hours waiting around becuase the lead singer never gets there; he says the whole band is there waiting around doing drugs because they can't play. It sounds to me like Axl is both bipolar and a legit sociopath. The way Slash describes him; he doesn't even get the concept that it pisses people off that he shows up 2 hours after the show is supposed to start

• Moderators

I heard an interview he did to support the book on Jim Rome; he basically said "Axl is who he is. He still shows up late." He basically said that it started to really get hard to show up to play a show, and have to sit there for 2 hours waiting around becuase the lead singer never gets there; he says the whole band is there waiting around doing drugs because they can't play. It sounds to me like Axl is both bipolar and a borderline sociopathic.

Oh I have no doubt Axl is both bipolar and a sociopath. I am just saying.. if Slash was you or I, and we wrote that book, and Axl destroyed the biggest band in the world at the time, you can bet you and I would have used Word>Find and replace all> Axl = Stupid Mother F'er.

Unless there was still a shot of the biggest band in the land getting back together. :idk:

• Moderators

The way Slash describes him; he doesn't even get the concept that it pisses people off that he shows up 2 hours after the show is supposed to start

You musta just added this, but he is probably right. I know people in life that screw people ALL THE TIME and have no clue what they are doing wrong or why its such a big deal to other people ("normies"). :rolleyes:

• Members

I haven't read the whole thing but it's definitely entertaining and informative.

The "A lot of us, including me, wear leather pants with jeans underneath so it doesn't show through when we piss ourselves onstage." was interesting. Gives you a greater appreciation for Fergie and a greater desire to avoid guys who still wear leather pants to a gig.

-W

• Moderators

I haven't read the whole thing but it's definitely entertaining and informative.

The "A lot of us, including me, wear leather pants with jeans underneath so it doesn't show through when we piss ourselves onstage." was interesting. Gives you a greater appreciation for Fergie and a greater desire to avoid guys who still wear leather pants to a gig.

-W

:eek:

• Members

* Slash stole the top hat from a local vintage clothing store, as well as the belt he put around it.

* Auditions for Poison, doens't make it becuase they asked him if he was really planning on wearing mocassins; sees CC Deville in the lobby auditioning and he's wearing lipstick; knew he would make the band.

* After Slash leaves Hollywood Rose, he finds out Axl {censored}s his GF, he calls Axl up and tells him of his intent to come down to Tower Records and beat the {censored} out of Axl; Axl gets him a job to avoid the fight.

* Steven Adler does heroin, a LOT.

* Welcome to the Jungle's opening riff was written on an extremely cheap Boss digital delay

* The amp used on Appetite for Destruction was a rental Marshall (Slash could not afford a single guitar/amp at the time), that was apparently modded but Slash had no clue by who; he attempted to buy the amp by claiming it was stolen and paying for it via his advance for AFD, but some roadie ended up returning it; they would not rent it to him after that.

* Cliff Burnstein, manager of Metallica, tells Slash that the band sounds like garbage noise, especially Slash's solos, which he described as very unmelodic.

* Slash's kleptomania extended to stealing very rare animals from a local pet store, including dozens of snakes and a chameleon. In between AFD and UYI, he buys a mountain lion habitat in his house.

* Recurring theme: innappropriate drinking, vomiting, and sex.

* Axl basically blowing all the bands money on tour on stupid themed parties and {censored}, appaerntly in an attempt to impress Metallica, who hated Axl for refusing to show up on time.

• Moderators

* Axl basically blowing all the bands money on tour on stupid themed parties and {censored}, appaerntly in an attempt to impress Metallica, who hated Axl for refusing to show up on time.

Again... if a normal person was in that situation... they would SHOW UP ON TIME! :idea:

:p

*sigh* Axl... what have you wrought? :(

• Members

All I took out of the way slash described Axl in the book was that he thought of Axl as extremely talented and at times a dear friend but just could not handle to be around him because the guy was/is {censored}ing clueless as to his own {censored}ed upness.......The whole band name thing and attempting to basically make the guys his own backup band was kinda {censored}ed up on Axl's part though........me thinks I would unload on him......but of course I did not spend my formative years doing drugs and {censored}ing chicks with the guy while writing some of the greatest rock tunes of all time so who am I to say.

• Members

Again... if a normal person was in that situation... they would SHOW UP ON TIME!
:idea:

:p

*sigh* Axl... what have you wrought?
:(

He's talking about the show where Hetfield gets burned by the pyro and Slash says, GNR agreed to do an extended set and hit the stage an hour early. Instead, Axl shows up 2 hours after GNR's scheduled start time. The reason they blew their tour money was mostly on union dues from having to wait around for Axl to show up.

• Moderators

He's talking about the show where Hetfield gets burned by the pyro and Slash says, GNR agreed to do an extended set and hit the stage an hour early. Instead, Axl shows up 2 hours after GNR's scheduled start time. The reason they blew their tour money was mostly on union dues from having to wait around for Axl to show up.

What an ass... Of course, I look at it like this: Almost to the man, every person who called himself a singer and JUST sang has been an egotistical twat on every level they could imagine (that I have played with). If you give that person all the money and resources in the world, ala Axl, the twat sky is the limit. :mad:

• Members

* Slash stole the top hat from a local vintage clothing store, as well as the belt he put around it.

* Auditions for Poison, doens't make it becuase they asked him if he was really planning on wearing mocassins; sees CC Deville in the lobby auditioning and he's wearing lipstick; knew he would make the band.

* After Slash leaves Hollywood Rose, he finds out Axl {censored}s his GF, he calls Axl up and tells him of his intent to come down to Tower Records and beat the {censored} out of Axl; Axl gets him a job to avoid the fight.

* Steven Adler does heroin, a LOT.

* Welcome to the Jungle's opening riff was written on an extremely cheap Boss digital delay

* The amp used on Appetite for Destruction was a rental Marshall (Slash could not afford a single guitar/amp at the time), that was apparently modded but Slash had no clue by who; he attempted to buy the amp by claiming it was stolen and paying for it via his advance for AFD, but some roadie ended up returning it; they would not rent it to him after that.

* Cliff Burnstein, manager of Metallica, tells Slash that the band sounds like garbage noise, especially Slash's solos, which he described as very unmelodic.

* Slash's kleptomania extended to stealing very rare animals from a local pet store, including dozens of snakes and a chameleon. In between AFD and UYI, he buys a mountain lion habitat in his house.

* Recurring theme: innappropriate drinking, vomiting, and sex.

That is an awesome review. I assume it will be a movie on VH1 in the near future.

I read the part about the hat in an excerpt in Guitar, and I wonder if Slash even knows how messed up it is to go around stealing hats.

Archived