I woke up this morning and my vision was severely desaturated

OverDriven

• Members

This was a very strange experience. I woke up this morning and walked into my living room which has vibrant red walls. I immediately noticed that they were somehow different. The red was much less vibrant. Like my vision was somewhere between black and white vision and color. I shook my head and was thinking "what the {censored}?". As I looked around at everything else, my entire vision had taken on this strange desaturated effect. I walked into the office, sat down at the computer, and looked out the window. Everything was lit brightly by sunlight, but it looked grey at the same time. My vision was perfectly sharp during all this. Someone contacted me on AIM, and as I tried to type, my fingers seemed to fumble the keys, and I found typing at normal speeds fairly difficult. I started to panic a bit at this point. Over the next 10 minutes, color faded back in and now everything is perfectly back to normal. I did some research and I found a site that says that this condition is called Transient Achromatopsia (basically a temporary loss of color). The problem is that it is almost always caused by lack of blood/oxygen to a certain part of the brain. There are rare cases where it could also be caused by migraine. I'm only 26 and very healthy. I HIGHLY doubt I'm having any kind of stroke. Anyone else have any experience with this?

• Members

I've had a weird brain-related vision condition for a year and a bit now. Don't want to go into details but I'll just say you're lucky yours went away. Normal vision is something you take for granted until you no longer have it.
:(

I was pretty freaked out, and you're right. Everything looked incredibly dull and boring without color.

• Members

This was a very strange experience. I woke up this morning and walked into my living room which has vibrant red walls. I immediately noticed that they were somehow different. The red was much less vibrant. Like my vision was somewhere between black and white vision and color. I shook my head and was thinking "what the {censored}?". As I looked around at everything else, my entire vision had taken on this strange desaturated effect. I walked into the office, sat down at the computer, and looked out the window. Everything was lit brightly by sunlight, but it looked grey at the same time. My vision was perfectly sharp during all this. Someone contacted me on AIM, and as I tried to type, my fingers seemed to fumble the keys, and I found typing at normal speeds fairly difficult. I started to panic a bit at this point. Over the next 10 minutes, color faded back in and now everything is perfectly back to normal. I did some research and I found a site that says that this condition is called Transient Achromatopsia (basically a temporary loss of color). The problem is that it is almost always caused by lack of blood/oxygen to a certain part of the brain. There are rare cases where it could also be caused by migraine. I'm only 26 and very healthy. I HIGHLY doubt I'm having any kind of stroke. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Yep, I've had it happen to me to. The cause was my undiagnosed sleep apnea, which causes me to stop breathing when I sleep. Causes a sever drop in blood O2. I'm 32.

• Members

Yep, I've had it happen to me to. The cause was my undiagnosed sleep apnea, which causes me to stop breathing when I sleep. Causes a sever drop in blood O2. I'm 32.

Damn that's scary. Couldn't that cause brain damage?

• Members

I'll also add that I've had the visual migraine thing (different than yours, but still a visual migraine aura, very hard to describe) and while those can freak you the fuck out, they almost ALWAYS go away... having something like a migraine aura remain permanent has been documented but it's so rare you might as well be worried about getting struck by lightning. The fact that it went away is a big thing to be happy about... the worst to legitimately worry about will be that something similar will happen occasionally for the rest of your life. My step-dad has a visual migraine every 6 months or so. It sucks, but it's not painful and as long as it goes away it's not too bad. My thing is permanent. :(:(

• Members

I'll also add that I've had the visual migraine thing (different than yours, but still a visual migraine aura, very hard to describe) and while those can freak you the fuck out, they almost ALWAYS go away... having something like a migraine aura remain permanent has been documented but it's so rare you might as well be worried about getting struck by lightning. The fact that it went away is a big thing to be happy about... the worst to legitimately worry about will be that something similar will happen occasionally for the rest of your life. My step-dad has a visual migraine every 6 months or so. It sucks, but it's not painful and as long as it goes away it's not too bad. My thing is permanent.

My girlfriend gets migraines with severe visual and other auras. She gets bright white blotches in her vision, and eventually is almost completely blinded by them. Then often one side of her body will go numb. It goes away in about an hour or if she takes Fioricet. Scary stuff. She went to a neurologist and they said it's nothing that can be helped and shouldn't really be worried about.

• Members

Damn that's scary. Couldn't that cause brain damage?

Well, it will cause your brain cells to die, which is why waking up with headaches is a common indicator, but it can also cause high blood pressure, massive heart attack, and sudden death if you take anything that depresses your breathing/heart. I wear a mask when I sleep and it forces me to keep breathing.

• Members

My girlfriend gets migraines with severe visual and other auras. She gets bright white blotches in her vision, and eventually is almost completely blinded by them. Then often one side of her body will go numb. It goes away in about an hour or if she takes Fioricet. Scary stuff. She went to a neurologist and they said it's nothing that can be helped and shouldn't really be worried about.

Basically. Nobody researches this stuff enough to do anything about it. :mad:

• Members

eyes need at least 15 minutes or more to adjust to light. Adjusting to light also means adjusting to colour. Rods (nightvision stuff) don't see colour. Cones (day vision stuff) do see colour. Probably just a lag of the cones.

look into sleep apnea though.

• Members

Basically. Nobody researches this stuff enough to do anything about it.

Yep, its not a wide spread problem and people who dont get migraines just think they are just worse headaches.

To the OP: Ive had migraines where things change color, not like from white to black but say something gray takes on a greenish tint or somethin blue takes on a more purplish color, and its pretty damn scary the first time it happens so i feel your pain. But if you arent actually having a migaine you might want to go to a doctor, it could be something pretty serious.

• Members

eyes need at least 15 minutes or more to adjust to light. Adjusting to light also means adjusting to colour. Rods (nightvision stuff) don't see colour. Cones (day vision stuff) do see colour. Probably just a lag of the cones.

look into sleep apnea though.

I've woken up for about 9,672 mornings now and I've never had this happen. It didn't feel like normal adjusting at all.

• Members

ive had this happen a few times. It never did really freak me out as bad though. I just waited for it to go away. It always goes away. Usually it happens when I wake up once every few months. takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to get back to normal. I just always figured my eyes were still tired or something.

Archived