20 years in the making. Grail guitar dream come true.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

In 1982-83 my dad decided that I had stuck with guitar long enough that I needed a decent guitar. After looking for weeks we finally found a blond Strat in a local pawn shop. I was heavily into Yngwie at the time so that was a great find. While we were looking at the guitar the store owner pulled out one of his back room guitars to show it off. It was an older LP Custom 3-pickup in silverburst. I couldn't believe how awesome it was.

Over the next 20-something odd years I dreamed about owning a LP Custom. Especially a silverburst. But I never could afford one. Then of course you couldn't even buy one for years. It looked like the silverburst would never be mine. It would continue to be my unrealized "grail guitar" for most of my life.

I'm extremely happy to say that it is unrealized no longer. Last week I found a mint 2007 Custom Shop LP Custom silverburst on evilbay. The seller had almost 800 deals with 100% feedback so I decided to take the plunge. I scored it for $2,800.00 which was about $500.00 off the new street price. The guitar came in last Saturday while I was out of town.

As for a review, well.....It's everything I could ever hope for. The fit and finish is almost perfect. The action is fantastic and it plays like butter. The guitar weighs in at 10.5 lbs. on my digital scales. IMO, the perfect LP weight. The guitar is in minty cond. with no scratches and no issues. No buckle rash, no fret wear. It looks like a closet queen. The previous owner had even installed Schaller strap locks which were included.

The only thing I'm going to change is the pups. I've already picked up a Duncan Blackout set to install next week. All I had to do was pick out a sweet Levys strap and {censored}ing rock. I'm in guitar heaven right now. It sounds so big through the 5150 II.

Eric

100_1665.jpg

100_1668.jpg

100_1670.jpg

100_1672.jpg

100_1678.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks bro. Good luck on your Anderson. They are sexy machines for sure.

Eric

sweet man, its always nice to find "your" guitar isnt it? mine is the G&L legacy. my next is a tom anderson. and then maybe a framus guitar. but dang that thing looks really nice. congrats!

• Members

THAT is the tittays bro!!!

I'm jealous! I've always wanted a Silverburst Paul. I almost bought an Epiphone one when they did a limited run of them but they were more like silver w/ a black border. Not near as nice as the Gibbys.

• Members

Are those weight relieved? The weight you mentioned seems right, but I thought they swiss cheesed the Customs these days.

What pickups are in it? 550T? Burstbuckers?

Why change them?

Are you putting pickups with nickel covers on them?

By the way, CONGRATS! Very nice guitar.:cool:

• Members

I like the neck on the back, But I would have never paid that much

for that guitar. EVER.

EVERRRR. The front just doesnt give off that high cost look.

But its whatever the player wants, and obviously its your guitar

and your 2800.

Nice amp choice.

• Members

I'm not informed on Gibby's pickups but I want to say it's the 498T/490R combo. Forgive me if those #'s are wrong. They sound and output like warm PAF's.

I'm changing the pups for something hotter. I use EMG's in all my guitars, but decided to go with Duncan's Blackouts this time. See how they match with the LP. And no, the pups will be black like all other actives.

No it's not weight relieved. All of the modern Custom Shop Customs are still solid. It's definitely my heaviest guitar by far. About 2 lbs. heavier that the Juggernaut. All of the regular production LP's are weight relieved though. I think most usually go about 9 lbs. now.

Thanks bro.

Eric

Are those weight relieved? The weight you mentioned seems right, but I thought they swiss cheesed the Customs these days.

What pickups are in it? 550T? Burstbuckers?

Why change them?

Are you putting pickups with nickel covers on them?

By the way, CONGRATS! Very nice guitar.
:cool:

Archived