20 years in the making. Grail guitar dream come true.

BAZGUITARMAN

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think they are the 490/498 combo, I would think Burstbuckers. I am far from an authority - but I would be disappointed if they were the 490/498's

That's what came in my LP Special SL - pretty much the bottom of the line

edit:

Upon further internet research - my mistake - I guess the Custom Shop LP Customs DO have the 490/498 combination.

• Members

Thanks everyone. I took a setback on the new pups. Duncan ships the Blackout set with short shaft pots. But they do offer to send a full set of long shaft pots for free if needed. I sent them an email and they shipped that day. Those guys are on top of it.

So I pulled the strings off of it last night and cleaned it up really well. Hit the fretboard with Fret Doctor. Pulled the truss rod cover and pickguard off, etc. The guitar is in really great shape. No scratches, dents or marks of any kind. Just the finger scuff marks around the toggle and knobs that showed it had been played some.

$2,800.00 is a {censored} load of money, but I'm pretty happy. They sell for $3,400.00 so I did pretty well.

Eric

Nice. Congrats man!
:cool:

• Members

theres a 1978 on ebay now..same finish for $5800..id say he did
pretty good...

I like the neck on the back, But I would have never paid that much

for that guitar. EVER.

EVERRRR. The front just doesnt give off that high cost look.

But its whatever the player wants, and obviously its your guitar

and your 2800.

Nice amp choice.

• Members

No, the new Custom Shop LP Customs are all solid. No weight relief. And you can tell. This guitar is by far the heaviest I've ever owned. Personaly I think the perfect weight for a LP is around 10 lbs. as long as it's not dead weight.

Acoustically this guitar is pretty tight through the mids and low end for a LP. The bottom end is huge, but is tight like an ESP Eclipse. The stock pups do a decent job of showing it, but the Blackouts should really bring out all the potential.

The big guy was looking out for me on this one. I seem to have scored a super nice example of a modern Custom.

Eric

Doesn't Customs still have swiss cheese weight relief holes? VOS models are the only ones with no weight relief holes or sound chambers in them, me thinks.

• Members
I love the Silverburst LP's. I like the originals that are all faded green. They're ugly in an awesome kind of way.

Agreed. I LOVE how the vintage ones look. :love:

That being said, I also like how yours looks Baz. Happy NGD!

• Members

No, the new Custom Shop LP Customs are all solid. No weight relief. And you can tell. This guitar is by far the heaviest I've ever owned. Personaly I think the perfect weight for a LP is around 10 lbs. as long as it's not dead weight.

The big guy was looking out for me on this one. I seem to have scored a super nice example of a modern Custom.

Eric

Here's a quote from Gibson's reply for some LPC owner:

Hello,

Thanks for writing!! Good question. Currently the LP Custom is being built by the Custom Shop. As you know, the Custom Shop is primarily responsible for the historic reissues, most of which have non-weight relieved backs. The current LP Custom, not a historic reissue, is weight-relieved. But what Gibson USA does is not necessarily followed by the Custom Shop and vice versa. For example, many customers swear that the long neck tenon creates more sustain. Still, Gibson USA has not changed their neck tenons. Likewise, the Custom Shop has not switched to the new weight relief method for the LP Custom, even though Gibson USA believes that this weight relief improves the tone and sustain of the Les Paul. Should the LP Custom ever be built by USA, it is very likely that the new eight-relief will be used. Until then, the LP Custom is currently the only contemporary LP model that is weight-relieved the old way.

Best regards,

Vincent

So it's swiss cheese relieved according to that.

• Members

I love the Silverburst LP's. I like the originals that are all faded green. They're ugly in an awesome kind of way.

I dig the faded green as well.

Nice score man! That just so happens to be a dream guitar of my own. Someday man, someday.

I don't know if you mentioned it or not but what PU's do those come with?

• Members

Nice bro. How much does your silverburst weigh? I'm hearing both ways on the weight relief, but I swear mine doesn't have the feel of a weight relieved model. The weight and the way it resonates feels like all the old school LP's I've played.

Great pics. I wish mine turned out better. My camera sucks though.

Eric

Congrats Man!!!

I know your Joy very well.

LesPaulCustomGuitar007.jpg
Silverburst1.jpg
Silverburst2.jpg
Silverburst4.jpg

• Members

Nice bro. How much does your silverburst weigh? I'm hearing both ways on the weight relief, but I swear mine doesn't have the feel of a weight relieved model. The weight and the way it resonates feels like all the old school LP's I've played.

Great pics. I wish mine turned out better. My camera sucks though.

Eric

Everything is weight relieved except Historics. And what are you considering "old school"? Because Gibsons been weight relieving guitars since the 80s

• Members

Well, I'm almost 40 years old. So old school is old school.

Really it's no big deal to me. I was looking more for a certain feel and tighter resonance properties. I think a lot of the new LP's I've played have too much resonance and it makes the bottom end have too much bloom. Which is great for rock and blues where you want that big, wide open feel and tone. But all my music has pretty fast tempo and uses a lot of palm muting. IMO, a really resonate guitar can get kinda messy with gain. Almost like a semi-hollow if used in the wrong way.

It's all personal preference though. Like everyone who thinks I'm crazy for putting actives in the guitar. Everyone has a different idea of what works.

This would have been one heavy ass guitar if it wasn't weight relieved.

Eric

Everything is weight relieved except Historics. And what are you considering "old school"? Because Gibsons been weight relieving guitars since the 80s

• Members

^

This is correct.

The weight relieved body on LP Customs is even detailed on the gibson.com specs.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/lpcustom/LPCustom.html

That silverburst looks sick though, congrats.

Archived