I'm tired of my Ford Explorer and 17 mpg!!

mparsons

• Members

I pay for mine own gas, insurance, taxes, maintenance costs, etc. My parent's gave me my truck, and told me if I want to use it, I pay for it. It's a 99 F-150, 2x4, with a single cab, shortbed, lariat package, and towing rearend. Oh and a 5.4 V8. It's had it's chip reprogrammed by Ford performance. It gets about 12.5 mpg consistently. Sure, the cost of having it sucks, but in my current financial situation, I can afford to drive it, so I do, because it's a fun vehicle to drive.

Just my .02 cents

Like I said, wait until you move out and have bills to pay. I paid my own car insurance and gas too when I lived at home. That is nothing compared to paying for rent, food, tuition and whatever else now that I'm on my own.

I used to own a truck and now I have a 4 door sedan. Never thought I'd see the day but here I am right now. I really don't see how a truck is more fun to drive. Turning radius blows, can't do donuts like you can with a smaller car if at all, and you can't stop on a dime. The only way I can see myself getting another truck is if they improve their gas mileage or I got back into dirtbiking.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

gee could it be the fact that most of them are pos cars? most have no alarm? the owners dont care to lock them up because their so cheap? or theyre teens and careless? or from the stealers standpoint so many teens own them that their parts are in high demand since fast and the oblivious? hot parts arent easily traced for hondas? i can keep going even tho its 3am here man.... just because the cars stolen doesnt mean it doesnt fail bro

If i could suggest something either a 97-03 malibu or possibly a 00+ impala both can be had for stupid cheap most of the time, generally theyre nice cars depending on the prior life and owners care ... I remember 2 of my chick friends had them the malibu got around 25-30mpg and impala 21-29 ... also a tid bit, impalas are cop cars and taxis around here so you can get an idea that theyre sumwhat efficient, have good storage 4doors and also their parts are also easily accessable.

I think one of the largest parts is they have one of the simplest locks to break off, making for a quick easy steal right out of your driveway.

• Members

I've been looking for pretty much the same thing, since my Jimmy gets 17/22mpg, as well. I did some looking around, and ended up sorta settling on late 90s Subaru. For around $5000, I can get a Forrester wagon or Outback, which (even automatic) get around 25mpg.

Basically, if you stick with four cylinders in a small/crossover SUV or wagon, you can get right around 25/30 mpg. Which isn't that great for hauling, but I've yet to need to drag a trailer or boat, and it's not looking like I will anytime soon, either.

• Members

Whats the most gas efficient car I could get for $3000?

EDIT:

Might need to add... I want a 4 door sedan if at all possible. Gotta fit my halfstack in there!

Be happy its paid off (Im assuming it is). You actually own an SUV because you need one. And its one of the more fuel efficient ones (Not 14 mPG). Is this a 6 cyl? or an 8?

Keep in mind, if you use a small car to haul equipment, the little 4 cylinder will dog down, resulting in lower mileage. Trucks and SUVs serve a purpose, I think the problem lies with the people who bought them just to have the biggest vehicle on the block.

• Members

Here's another thing to think about, if you own your current truck outright, you're going to spend 3 grand to save 4-5 grand over the course of about 3 years.

I have a Pathfinder, same thing, gets 17mpg on it's best day, and I would love to have a smaller car, BUT, I'd have to put the money out for the new car AND the fuel, whereas now, it's just fuel.

You'll save at the pump right away, but it will take you a couple/three years to make up for the money you put out, and you'll never get great value now if you try to sell your truck.

The being green aspect is great, but you're already in the hole (down $3000) by changing vehicles.

• Members

seriously you should consider the cost of gas over however many years you plan on owning the beater vs the cost of a another vehicle + taxes + more insurance + gas for both vehicles over the same time

its not always a win

• Members
Like I said, wait until you move out and have bills to pay. I paid my own car insurance and gas too when I lived at home. That is nothing compared to paying for rent, food, tuition and whatever else now that I'm on my own.

I used to own a truck and now I have a 4 door sedan. Never thought I'd see the day but here I am right now. I really don't see how a truck is more fun to drive. Turning radius blows, can't do donuts like you can with a smaller car if at all, and you can't stop on a dime. The only way I can see myself getting another truck is if they improve their gas mileage or I got back into dirtbiking.

Four way disk brakes, the fact people don't pull out in front of you, and the ability to smoke mustang gts in the quarter...what's not to like?:thu:

• Members
Four way disk brakes, the fact people don't pull out in front of you, and the ability to smoke mustang gts in the quarter...what's not to like?
:thu:

Actually, every comperable year stock v6 mustang has a faster 1/4 mile than the f-150 and expedition stock. You won't even beat those, let alone a mustang gt stock. You sound like one of those guys that gets behind me in my mustang and turns their brights on. If your faster than me, go the hell around me, don't tailgate with your brights on, cause I ain't going more than 3 over the speed limit.

With that said, almost everyone will pass you in a mustang, or any other sports car. This coming from a guy who drives a mustang, used to drive an 84 vette, and had an explorer until 6 months ago. Nobody would pass me in that, but in the sports cars I can go 10 under, or 50 over, and EVERYONE has to get in front of me. It's rediculous, like everyone gets off on it or something.

• Members

Actually, every comperable year stock v6 mustang has a faster 1/4 mile than the f-150 and expedition stock. You won't even beat those, let alone a mustang gt stock. You sound like one of those guys that gets behind me in my mustang and turns their brights on. If your faster than me, go the hell around me, don't tailgate with your brights on, cause I ain't going more than 3 over the speed limit.

With that said, almost everyone will pass you in a mustang, or any other sports car. This coming from a guy who drives a mustang, used to drive an 84 vette, and had an explorer until 6 months ago. Nobody would pass me in that, but in the sports cars I can go 10 under, or 50 over, and EVERYONE has to get in front of me. It's rediculous, like everyone gets off on it or something.

It's not stock, and I consider myself a decent driver.

• Members

Yep...my Ranger gets like 15m/gal....I bought a motorcycle 45m/gal.

Need to keep the truck to haul music gear and fishing boat.

THIS 4$/GAL crap is pure BS !!! THERE'S NO WAY OUT EITHER.
Something even worse than the crap now must be coming:mad::cry:

Archived