TheGreatGreen

• Members

I've been thinking about picking up a new 4x12 lately and Avatar crossed my mind. However, I've never heard one before and I'd like to get your opinion.

How would an Avatar 4x12 with vintage 30s compare to 4x12 cabs from places like Marshall, Bogner, Mesa, Splawn, etc? Avatar cabs obviously cost the least, but do they sound and perform better than some of the more expensive counterparts?

• Members

there's really no risk in buying one. the resale value on them is (comparably) high, and you can get any option you like as far as appearance or speakers. i also believe they have a pretty excellent return policy, and they start bidding wars on eBay fairly regularly.

i bought two 2x12s, and loved them, but ended up selling them and making probably about 80% of my money back, which isn't bad at all.

• Members

I'd also liked to added I really liked the feel/quality of the Vintage and Contemp cabs I played.

The contemporary cab is a bit to big for me though.

I recommend the vintage.

Totally unrelated my bass players bass cab is awesome. I don't think you could find one better at the price point.

• Members

I stand by Avatar. Good cabs that are made to last. Dave is awesome to deal with and he knows what he is talking about. I plan on getting a new 4x12 soon and I'm definitely going through them, wouldn't think twice about it.

edit: I love my traditional cab, sounds great and is just what I needed.

• Members

Why do you say that?

I have a Traditional 2x12 and I like it a lot. It's built well and it sounds great.

I dunno about the 2 x 12.

But the 4 x 12 I played looked/felt cheap compared to the others I've played.

Sound eh, didn't have anything to directly compare it to at the time.

• Members
I had an Avatar 4x12 and sold it within a couple of days. Hated it. My Mesa stomps all over that thing like Godzilla on Tokyo.

Although some have told me I just got the wrong model
:idk:

that's also kind of a {censored}ty comparison, since Mesa stomps on pretty much everything, and costs more than twice as much. you can buy four 2x12s from Avatar for the price of one 4x12 from Mesa. (new prices of course)

• Members

that's also kind of a {censored}ty comparison, since Mesa stomps on pretty much everything, and costs more than twice as much. you can buy four 2x12s from Avatar for the price of one 4x12 from Mesa. (new prices of course)

I got my Mesa (used) for $350. A new Avatar costs $400+. And they're not THAT much cheaper used.

Getting a good deal on a good-name used product >>>> buying a cheap product new. IMO. Except in certain rare circumstances.

Archived