TheGreatGreen

• Members

If you are going to buy an Avatar 4X12, I strongly recommend the Vintage line

I'm playing my DSL thru the Vintage Bluesbreaker 2 x 12 loaded with Vintage 30's. I have no complaints. It's a quality built cabinet and compared to the Marshall 1936 I was using prior to the Avatar there was a huge improvement. And I'm talking I was using the same exact speakers in the 1936.

• Members
I'm playing my DSL thru the Vintage Bluesbreaker 2 x 12 loaded with Vintage 30's. I have no complaints. It's a quality built cabinet and compared to the Marshall 1936 I was using prior to the Avatar there was a huge improvement. And I'm talking I was using the same exact speakers in the 1936.

Everybody knows 1936's are complete {censored} :o

• Members

I got my Mesa (used) for $350. A new Avatar costs $400+. And they're not THAT much cheaper used.

Getting a good deal on a good-name used product >>>> buying a cheap product new. IMO. Except in certain rare circumstances.

i wholly agree with you, i got my Mesa 2x12 for $285, which is less than the cost of a custom Avatar, but what i said about the comparison is still true. getting a Mesa for $350 used is still very uncommon, and that price shouldn't be relied upon for any sort of logical comparison. i have a friend that bought an Avatar $125 loaded with celestions, but i'm not using that number as my comparison price because that's clearly an exceptional circumstance.

when somebody's asking about an item, and clearly trying to make plans, you can't tell them to plan on getting a really good deal (or it wouldn't be a really good deal). the only truly reliable price you have to gauge an item by is the set new price.

• Members

Based on measurements, I would get either Vintage, or Contemporary. Vintage being tighter, and Contemporary being a bit looser.

I would go for the Contemporary and mix in some speakers. Its a bit on the large side 31x21x15 - 4 inches higher than a 2x12 recto cab for example. Other than that its pretty close to recto specs. Maybe touch up a little to make sure the seal is perfect (which most companies fail to do), THEN it will sound good.

BTW: They use birch, which is the best wood for cabs. If the seal is perfect then all you have to worry about are the speakers going in.

-D

Archived