What's the best amp for soloing or shred?

serolF

• Members

I am looking for a new amp (combo) that's good for soloing or shred. I currently have a Marshall JCM 2000 that's just not cutting it. The lead is a little dry and weak. Not too much thickness. More specifically, I'm looking for an amp that has a tone similar to Alex Skolnicks tone circa Practice What you Preach era. Are there any combo amps, tube or solid state, that fit this description or have tons of rich distortion for lead solos?

Thanks for your help!

:thu:

• Members

I like the Marshalls DSL and TSL for lead tones. Anything with El34s and can get some nice mids with a little sag...not too tight, sounds perfect for me.

I currently have th DSL. While it's incredible for rhythm, it's a little thin for my taste in the lead catagory. I did however narrow my search down to two amps: the Fender Cyber Twin (sounds awesome) and the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, which I haven't tried yet. No one around my area has them so I might have to blindly purchase it and hope it's good...which is usually not the case.

• Members

I currently have th DSL. While it's incredible for rhythm, it's a little thin for my taste in the lead catagory. I did however narrow my search down to two amps: the Fender Cyber Twin (sounds awesome) and the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, which I haven't tried yet. No one around my area has them so I might have to blindly purchase it and hope it's good...which is usually not the case.

so thicken it up with an EQ:poke: That will solve your problem

but i suspect you just want to buy a new amp regardless...so go for it

• Members

Just go splawn. Grab a competition and be done with the Marshall genre of one. If you ant stupid heavy Marshallish, go for the Nitro. Either way, if Marshall leaves you wanting... go Splawn and wonder how Marshall sucks so much ass while dominating such a large portion of the market.

• Members

Carvin Legacy /thread

but how is the Cyber Twin? I know a guy who swears by them.

It was awesome. I tried it out for about 45 minutes (I didn't want to stop playing it) at GC today. Not great for anything heavy, heavy, but excellent for every other genre. Seriously, any other genre can be done with it. It's at the top of my list right now.

• Members

Yeah it's time for change. I need something smaller.

Smaller? As in size? If that, used Mark III. I picked mine up for just over $800 and its the best decision I've ever made gear wise. Sooo much better than my old DSL50. With a boost it can get to the highest gain I'd ever need, and sounds fantastic without one as well.

Archived