1960 Cab Improvements

Raucous Pimp

• Members

Scott Splawn moded my 1960. Birch Back panel with Neutrik connectors. New wiring. I put G1230H's in her. Metal handles. Locking wheels...new tolex and grill cloth. Sounds absolutely amazing. Blows my Standard 1960 out of the water in ever way!

• Members

caulking goes on all of the inside seams to make it airtight.

Get heavier wire gauge. 12-14 awg is a good range. Don't go larger than 12 awg unless you're a pro at soldering.

Now the fun part, get some eggcarton foam, or some sort of foam, home depot has it. You want to foam at the very least the back panel, but if you want to tighten it up even more, foam the walls too. do not foam the baffle (part the speakres are attached to).

thats all you should really need.

If you want to go hardcore, andd are good at carpentry:

you will notice that the jackplate is not airtight, even when theres plugs in it. You can build a wooden box around the jackplate and seal it with caulking. Make sure to leave a hole for the wires to get through the box, and caulk that shut too.

• Members

I caulked the front baffle on my 1960BX, I also rewired with some monster cable speaker wire I had laying around. I did not caulk the handles or mess with the back. You could if you wanted to, but I think that caulking the front baffle should be enough. Make sure all your screws are tight and resolder the speakers. Mine came with 22 guage wire (It looked to be that small) and quick connects. I ripped that crap out and wired with decent wire. It should help. If you are replacing speakers, why not rewire?

• Members

Will the foam on the back make it tighter yeah? I might try this.

Need to see if I can get some metal handles(do they make any real difference?) and a better back panel.

I can't imagine it makes a difference in sound, but the quality is much much much better. Plus, if you bump the handle's corner it won't break off like the plastic ones can. That right there is a bonus.

• Members

Scott Splawn moded my 1960. Birch Back panel with Neutrik connectors. New wiring. I put G1230H's in her. Metal handles. Locking wheels...new tolex and grill cloth. Sounds absolutely amazing. Blows my Standard 1960 out of the water in ever way!

I gotta ask you, how much did it cost for the mods on the cab (without the speakers obviously)?

• Members

My biggest suggestion is to add a new screw to the back panel where the middle support in the cab meets it. My old 1960AC (the slant front, black grille cloth and Greenbacks model) use to fart out all the time with my old Marshall DSL 50 when I got it up to a certain volume. The sound was due to the back panel vibrating against the middle support in the cab. A thin pad or peice of leather also helps. My Mojo 4x12 has a piece of leather riveted to the middle support to prevent this vibration.

Also, a birch plywood back panel in place of the MDF back panel helps tighten up the cab as well.

• Members

Im gonna bang a pair of vintage 30s in my cab, is there anything else i can do to improve it? like soldering the wires and replacing anything?

Sorry if theres a thread about this but i couldnt find owt

consider WGS's veteran 30

its cheaper and a lota ppl say it sounds better, like it has the strong points of the v30, good warmth while retaining tightness and a vibrant upper end, but its the perfected version with the ice picking spike in the upper mids smoothed out

• Members

Im in the UK and I cant find Veterans over here.

Also the birch ply is fairly expensive and I can only find twice as much as I need, obviously I could make two new backs and try and flog one but I can get some Marine ply for free, will this do the trick? I belive this is what Orange cabs are made of?

Archived