Avatar cabs sound/are identical to Bogner, Orange, Fender, Marshall, ENGL?

K.platyops

• Members

What's your take on the following statment concerning Avatar cabs? I ran into this on another board (Myspace :facepalm:) where someone was debating getting an ENGL cab over an Avatar. And the leader of the group said...

"....Avatar is not a "brand" - they are a maker of cabs based on time proven designs.

The Vintage line of cabs are dead on copies of the original Marshall Bluesbreakers cabs from the 60

• Members

same cabs? No.

But I will say this.

I have a orange 2x12, and a avatar 2x12. And for a short period of time they both had vintage 30s, and the two sure as hell sounded close, real close.

They make a great cab, at a great price, and Ill leave it at that.

• Members

What's your take on the following statment concerning Avatar cabs? I ran into this on another board (Myspace :facepalm:) where someone was debating getting an ENGL cab over an Avatar. And the leader of the group said...

"....Avatar is not a "brand" - they are a maker of cabs based on time proven designs.

The Vintage line of cabs are dead on copies of the original Marshall Bluesbreakers cabs from the 60

• Members

I owned both an Avatar vintage 2x12 and Bogner OS 2x12; same speakers. The Bogner had a "woodier" tone, more punch, and an overall fuller sound. For the price the Avatar is good, but it doesn't come all that close to the Bogner.

• Members

I owned both an Avatar vintage 2x12 and Bogner OS 2x12; same speakers. The Bogner had a "woodier" tone, more punch, and an overall fuller sound. For the price the Avatar is good, but it doesn't come all that close to the Bogner.

had both, maybe it depends on the amp, but it does.

i think we corksniff too much...

• Members

had both, maybe it depends on the amp, but it does.

i think we corksniff too much...

I don't know. I tried them both with my '07 EL-34 Shiva and the Bogner sounded better to my ears (not my eyes). My friend and I played for one another in a separate room with the different cabinets and we agreed on the Bogner. I'm not sure if it was the construction or the batting, but the Bogner was easily a better cabinet.

Believe me when I say this though: The Avatar is a great cabinet at its price point. No the Bogner isn't 10x as good, but it is a little bit better. That may justify the price difference for some people, but for others it may not.

• Members

people who throw around crap like this i think kinda hurt a company (like avatar's) good name, they make a great product, for a killer price, plain and simple...all this BS that they're the same as other cabs, they're built identical, even that they're made by the same people is a load of crap

it's a shame that they can't simply offer a good product, without a small handful of their fanboys getting all self-righteous and claiming that their product is something it's not

i've actually thought about buying a 2x12 from them to have a nice beater cab, something with g12h30's would be cool

• Members

I plan on getting a 2x12 Avatar loaded with greenbacks. I really don't care if it's the same construction, or sounds exactly like a bogner, orange , marshall etc.

It's solid, cheap, and comes with a nice selection of speakers.

• Members

They're similar, but not the same. Bogners have additional internal bracing and baffling. That said, the Avatar's cost half as much. The tolex on the Avatar is also not as sturdy/thick as the bogners.

Avatar are great for what you pay for them, but it's not fair to say that Bogner is a rip-off because "it's the same thing", it's not.

-W

• Members

People confuse looks with sound these days. Just because it looks like a Bluesbreaker or Orange cab doesn't mean it sounds like one. With that said, I love what Avatar puts out and have owned my fair share of their stuff. They are great cabs for a small coin.

• Members

It's amazing the price difference between cabs of different brands with the same speakers.

Some cost 4 times the amount of others. They're plywood boxes with speakers fixed inside FFS. :idea:

I thought about this already, the only reason I would buy an expensive cab is for looks and brand name....that's it. Build quality doesn't come into it, it's not exactly rocket science making a cab.

• Members

Build quality doesn't come into it, it's not exactly rocket science making a cab.

Except that it does. There are a million factors that affect how a cabinet sounds and how sturdy it is, including internal volume, shape/dimensions, type of wood used, and even trivial stuff like the type of corner joints (dovetail, finger, butt, dado, etc) and how much glue is used. ALL of these details have an effect, and a lot of the less visual things (like quality of glue or joint construction) can get skimped on with less-expensive cabs. It's a BITCH to make dovetail joints. But guess what? They're the most sturdy joint you can have. Mesa uses them exclusively, which is why Mesa cabs are pretty much indestructible.

Now, I think Avatar makes great stuff at a great price, but don't pretend that there's no difference between an Avatar cab and a more expensive one. It's simply not true.

Is the exponential price difference worth the incremental sound improvement?

That's for the buyer to decide.

Archived