1x15" cab sounds like a telephone

franjo

• Members
'ello ev'ry1 here at the amps forum,

i don't usually post here, but i thought about asking someone:

i am a guitar player. i have had a tiny 1x15" cab and now i have a bigger one, open back and an eminence legend 15" speaker in it.

at room level, both sound similar: no bass, no warmth, no real trele, much like a guitar through a telephone.

is 1x15" not suitable for roomlevel?

many thanks!

franjo

Connect an amp to it, not a telephone.

• Members

What do you mean you have a tiny and a large 1x15"? A 1x15" is never going to really be tiny at all. Are you sure there is a 15 inch speaker in there? I know that may sound like a dumb question, but I've gotta ask. If it is, then the speaker is obviously broken. A 15" speaker will work just fine at any volume, but IMO they are too flubby for guitar use, period. That said, it should not sound anything like an AM radio. It should sound like a bassier, looser 12" speaker. As long as you are sure that the wires inside are good (not broken), then I would say 100% you have a bad speaker.

Also, just FYI...someone mentioned having the wiring reversed. You are correct...there is no such thing as reversed wiring with one speaker.

So...check to make sure the wire is not broken, and if it's good then replace the speaker and you're all set.

• Members

I lean towards a problem with your individual speaker, unless you're EQing your amps really funny.

What can I say - at least I made a (small) joke with my 15' comment. Better than just a 'wat'.

(A five meter speaker, can you imagine it? Be better than Back to the Future.)

• Members

dear forumites,

i guess it's all a case of how hard you whack the speaker. my twin reverb and my wem dominator (it can be a boomy fella as well) go well with the 1x15cab alone. in combination with 12er cabs it's great.

i have put it on the floor which makes a BIG difference to me at room level. like i said, it does something at higher volumes.

i will live with it. and i will take my boogie s.o.b. to the amp wizard as it sounds as flat as a plate.

thanks for all the hints.

franjo

Archived