to the guys always asking for low power high gainers

Alchemist

• Members
"This amplifier is strictly designed for the player looking for a something with attitude but without all the knobs, buttons, loops and multiple channels to muck up their tone."

But most of the people here want the knobs, loops and multiple channels. Oh ya, and for

I think so, and I like that philosophy.... my Dr Z has a built in attenuator.... when I bought it I should have turned it all the way up, and argued that the amp only has 1 watt so I should only pay 1/5th of the price :o

• Members

I'm looking to order the custom 12 combo in the not too distant future....

its not high gain, but it has enough headroom to use my pedalboard with, and its a lightweight combo (25 lbs)... perfect for smallish gigs....

if my experience with the 12 is good.... I will likely be looking at an 18 or 30 head in the future....

• Members

I'm looking to order the custom 12 combo in the not too distant future....

its not high gain, but it has enough headroom to use my pedalboard with, and its a lightweight combo... perfect for smallish gigs....

if my experience with the 12 is good.... I will likely be looking at an 18 or 30 head in the future....

yeah-- with the drummers i've played with, i run my .22 at around 5-7. i'd definitely pin out a 10 watter, unless it was a really loud 10 watts.. but i have my doubts. i know the little fargens (which seem to run trioded-- so around 15ish) even pinned aren't really loud enough for cleans.. but depending on the use, could be really cool anyhow!

reeves truly is an awesome company! if i even got a huge work bonus or something... i know i'd be giving them a call for an 18 combo!

• Members

No one in their right mind would buy a 10 watt amp thinking that you would ever get over a drummer. The amp is made to be mic'ed through a PA.

a cranked 10 watter through a 4x12 would be plenty loud......

but its not like youre gonna get to crank any amp, most places will run you through the PA.....

• Members

No one in their right mind would buy a 10 watt amp thinking that you would ever get over a drummer. The amp is made to be mic'ed through a PA.

well-- i guess it depends on the context. it'd be pretty loud-- but nowhere near loud enough in a metal context! but for a standup bass, piano, and mebbe brushes at a little restaurant gig?

• Members
i posit that a high gain preamp mixed with a low wattage power section will sound like {censored}E turned up loud.

actually it wont, it just wont be very tight because of sag from power tube saturation, but if the preamp was designed with the power amp in mind, which I'm pretty certain this amp was, as thats the whole selling point (pre and power amp distortion) it should be fine...

the problem is, people seem to think that amps (like the recto, 5150 etc) which were designed specifically for that high headroom power amp need powertube distortion to be useable..... these are people who usually have read too much stuff on the internet about tube amps, without actually realizing that what may apply for a 50's 5e3 design may not necessarily be true for a modern channel switching high gainer.... and every two to three weeks, one of these people start a thread on "why would anyone need more than 50 watts" :facepalm:

• Members

My THD Univalve takes care of all my low wattage needs (of course, very different kind of amp...), but I am very intrigued about Reeves Amps now. The Templar Dragon looks wicked cool for a mere $600, hell, that's Valve King prices... And the higher end amps seem like they would rock, too. Anyone have experience with 'em?

Not planning on buying one soon (my next amp'll be either a Randall V2 or a Randall RH300G3+, really digging their current amps' tone!), but something to keep in mind if they're as cool as it seems...

• Members

My THD Univalve takes care of all my low wattage needs (of course, very different kind of amp...), but I am very intrigued about Reeves Amps now. The Templar Dragon looks wicked cool for a mere $600, hell, that's Valve King prices... And the higher end amps seem like they would rock, too. Anyone have experience with 'em?

Not planning on buying one soon (my next amp'll be either a Randall V2 or a Randall RH300G3+, really digging their current amps' tone!), but something to keep in mind if they're as cool as it seems...

I had no idea you had a Univalve.

What the hell is your amp lineup anyways? If not post here find the recent "what amps do you have" thread.

I have no idea what you play...

Archived